Sign Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jonnyd, Jan 2, 2023.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Sam fumbled 3 times (2 lost) and threw a pick. Let's relax on resigning him. Towards the end of the game he looked like Sam again.

2. JETFUEL1580

Multiple trades on the number one pick in one day is pretty absurd. But yeah a good watch regardless.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

LOL

RevisIsland18 likes this.
  4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I’m hoping Carr too. Not doing back flips but he’d be a massive step in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jilozzo likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The biggest strategic mistake in franchise history?
    It’s gonna be way more than 40 times.

6. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Sign Sam Darnold, sign Geno Smith and have an open QB competition. :D

SOJAZ, BrowningNagle and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  7. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Yep and it's a really tiny sample size. He's only played 5 games this year.

cmcm750203 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  8. Khan

Khan Active Member

Get Sanchez out of retirement to take the Josh McCown "player coach" mentor role too!

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't ready to get rid of him in the first place, but yes, if he was on another team, I'd probably be suggesting over and over that we sign him.

10. JETFUEL1580

Sanchez is still young enough. Lets bring back the band.

Khan likes this.
  11. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

At this point, you can put in any mediocre scrub at the Jet QB spot for a couple of seasons and he will be hailed as the next franchise savior until he is run out of town and people start demanding another hack to replace him. The script has worked well for 50 years so why deviate from it now? It's as predictable as watching some shitty re-run tv show which jumped the shark decades ago.

Jetaho likes this.
  12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Let's give Brooks Bollinger and Kellen Clemons a call, maybe see what kinda shape Pat Ryan is still in, let's sign them all, and perhaps Vince Lombardi will come back from the after life to coach the historic NY Jets

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Dude, you might pay Patrick Mahomes 30-40m a season. Why the fuck would you want to pay 30-40m a season for the combination of Carr/White/Wilson? That’s mind bending levels of stupid. Carr is gonna be had via trade maybe, and if he’s cut he’s still getting upwards of 15-20m to start for another team. White is also a FA, and is probably gonna fetch about 5-10m a year depending on where he goes. Let’s ply your game and say he signs with us for 5m to backup Carr. Zach is already making close to 10m next year. So again you’re dumping 30-40m into the QB position split between 3 guys that can’t play at an elite level (one of which can’t even play at a basic level).

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

what then? Sign Mahomes?

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Well, you pick your poison. You need to roll with one QB and Zach on the bench. So Carr OR White. Or trade Zach for peanuts and maybe you can roll with Carr and White, but we’d still need to be in this year or next year’s draft looking for a QB. You might get Richardson from Fl State in the 2nd round if we’re very lucky and can stash him on the bench to learn (what we should have done with Zach, but then again Zach shouldn’t have been drafted in the first round, period.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we're going to sign a 2018 QB pick lets get Mayfield.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I can see the logic here for sure. He's mobile enough to not be a complete statue and has shown the ability to hit receivers in stride in the flat and across the middle. When hes struggled it has been through trying to play hero ball and, I suspect, getting a little too overconfident in his own ability. The Shanahan system might just enable him to be better than he has been (which is way better than the Jets have had anyway) and his last year may have humbled him a bit. I wouldn't be averse to rolling the dice on Baker. He's not turning anyone into instant genuine contenders but then neither are Carr, Minshew or any of the other names short of the big names about to fall off a cliff.

Br4d likes this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

A Darnold, Geno, Wilson QB battle would be epic.

For real though, I’d be all for Darnold coming back, unfortunately I highly doubt he’d ever be.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'd be for it too.... if I didnt think it would end in disaster for all. JETS shouldve stuck with the plan instead of "new staff, new guy", but it is what is...
    Not a big Baker fan, but when weighing all the options and costs, probably makes sense. Better than Minshew, way cheaper (and mobile) than Carr, obviously not afraid of the spotlight. I think Sam playing the prodigal son role will mostly likely end in disaster (think of all the pissing and moaning if he has a bad game...)

Baker, White...... Zach

May he who sucks the least win. :confused:

Br4d likes this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

White isn't an option if its Carr or White, as we need a decent quality vet on the team - so it really depends on whether they see any value in him for the future (as a back-up or otherwise)