Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes, zero football experience and he's got such a prominent role.

a guy like that is why the Jets will never land someone like Sean Payton, just an example

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I've had a few hours to calm down, so I am changing Saleh's grade to a C-. At (7-4) he was a solid A- or B+. Since then it has fallen apart, but I think it averages out to a C-.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea what kind of experience Elhai has. But I am not at all quick to write off any interest anyone would have in working for one of the highest valued teams in the NFL that operates fifteen miles from the crossroads of the world.

On further review it appears his title is "President" not president of football operations and he has been with the Jets for 23 years in different positions. While seemingly involved in everything but football operations he is noted to have been instrumental in working with the Johnson family in the hiring process for both Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh, both very popular decisions, at the time anyway.

4. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

F anyone who loses 5 straight with this much talent on the team should get a F. He now lost 2x more games than he won which is hard to do in the league solid F. He is nothing but a ugly chearleader without the pom poms.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You don't get this much fail... for so many years... without the blame leading straight to the front office.

Brook!, HomeoftheJets, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The post game presser still has me tilted...

The..

"No one is hurting more than the people in the locker room, especially me," coach Robert Saleh said. "At the same time, I know it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, but there are a lot of really cool things to look at for this season. But right now it stings big time."

Fuck you, Saleh.

This was after being asked about how the fans feel...

Not a fucking chance this hurts you more, It's not about you, the players.. you guys are well compensated. It's good to care but don't dismiss what this means to the fanbase after the let down you just put all of us through.

It's about the fans. We are the ones that are invested In the ways he can't understand. We are the ones spending our money year after year on this team and for what?

Such a lack of awareness. I slept like shit. That one line from his presser burns me the fuck up. Maybe I'm overreacting... Still, show a little fucking compassion and sympathy for the fanbase you literally just shit all over.

Tired of this team, man.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm amazed you could hear the presser.. I pulled it up on YouTube and even at full volume, I couldn't hear shit. Saleh hasn't been following this team for the last 50 years nor is he from this area. He has zero connection to the fanbase so it should come as no surprise that he is tone deaf when it comes to such things.

8. george sakell

Yeah but we don't have 25 million reasons not to hurt you do, we are not paid not to suck. To bad ownership is sad and won't ever bring a proven coach to the Jets.

9. IIMeanDeanII

I understand. I don't care If he Is tone deaf though, he should wake the fuck up.

Rex Ryan never would've said shit like that.. Dude knew, for all his flaws, he knew how much we were hurting at that time and how badly we wanted a team to be the real deal. FOR this fanbase.

..and I am not trying to suggest we should still have Rex here. My point, Is that this should be basic as fuck, common sense shit. The fact that It Isn't, makes me further question If we have the right guy In that position.

ColoradoContrails, Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan did more with less... and then they took that away.

Gotta stick with Saleh... make some coaching upgrades and fortify the O- line.

And for gawdsakes get a fucking quarterback.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. george sakell

And Adam Gase did the same with much less. Just shows you how bad Saleh is.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No argument here Dean. Saleh probably didn't need to start his HC career in perhaps the toughest market in the league. A much better scenario would have been for a proven HC (McCarthy...) to come in and Saleh to be DC. He would have more time to get a feel for what it takes to be an HC in the NYJ market. Has Saleh made mistakes? sure. I know you're a MLF fan, but the connection to Saleh frankly doesn't pass the smell test. The optics simply are not good and Saleh should have known better than to hire the little brother of his best friend no matter what. Now that the offense simply died on the field, Saleh is in a bit of a bind as he has to do something about the system before the systemic failures costs him his job. Scheming guys open works for passing game coordinators. Putting points on the board is the OC's job. Saleh is in a jam and coming out the other side will determine just how long his stay in NY will be.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The sacrifice this year will be usual ritual one: the OC.

I think the Jets should probably clean house but I expect Douglas and Saleh to get one more year before the stables get swept out.

Since1969 likes this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

I agree and disagree. The execution of the players hasn't been good either. Especially with all the injuries that have caused a lot of the deficiencies. Still, with that said, shit Is fucked. You can't go on a 5 game losing streak, miss the playoffs, and have this level of a let down without consequences.

I don't have the answers, I just know I hate this position as a fan. Knowing that something Is really off but then realizing there are so many different things that are wrong, where do you even start? What's the true answer to this riddle?

We have more questions than answers now and that seemed impossible just 5 weeks ago. Sucks.

I agree with you though overall. It's a jam, It's a very bad optic, and how they respond will determine a lot moving forward.

Hopefully they get It right.

ColoradoContrails, Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

I highly doubt It. The connection to the coach, the scheme will still be the same, so what's the point? Wouldn't make sense to do.

Maybe though. I feel that there has to be a scape goat, always Is.

..but when you need a scapegoat, that never ends well for everyone In the end anyway. Pointless.

Fuck, this sucks.

16. Br4d

So if Woody really wanted to keep Saleh for another year I'd say that the way to do that is to give him a playoff mandate (private) and tell him he can pick the QB that is available in the off-season and then roll with whoever that is.

10-1 he doesn't pick either ZW or White.

17. Br4d

Firing a first year HC is a bad look however if the Fins lose out it's definitely a possibility. Fins record this year is 3 wins then 3 losses then 5 wins then 5 losses. That would be enough to make me wonder if the 6th loss in a row was a firing offense.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Funny you guys mention Rex, if Woody does fire Saleh I would not be surprised one bit if he hires his top media brown-noser Rex Ryan back

19. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Maybe it doesn’t go any deeper than the the fact that we literally lost our best two players on offense for the year in Denver? This team is still being built. We have very little depth, and the offense just couldn’t recover.

Plus our two best players currently are both rookies who have never played close to a 17 week schedule.

We need offensive line help and a competent QB. It sucks it ended like this this year, but I’m still optimistic. Give JD another crack at the draft and at least we’ll have a last place schedule next year!

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We can still end up 3-3 in the division. So there's that.

Cman68 likes this.