Any Thoughts On Our Super Smart QB Not Knowing The Rules?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Notorious J.E.T.S, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Out for the Season

Out for the Season New Member

I think they reacted that way cause of the Colvin's reaction, if Colvin would have struggled for the ball the would have done that too.

2. jetiron

jetiron New Member

My first thought watching it was to go after the damn ball. I mentioned earlier as well that Chad, of all people, should be the first one to go after the ball. He threw the damn thing, he should know whether it is a lateral or not, and even if it is too close to call, just go for it and ask questions later. The same goes to the receiver, he has his eyeing the ball and should've reacted to the loose ball. Perhaps it is poor coaching that they don't preach the players to go after the loose balls on these sideline passes? maybe, but I definitely expected Chad to be smarter than that.

3. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Absolutely correct.

4. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

How anyone could says this play falls on the coaches is patently absurd... That backwards pass has hit the ground a few times and reciever knew to pick it up... but the ball never made it past the tackle... a rookie tackle who made a rookie mistake... as for Chad I don't know what was in his head but it was clear the D'brick didn't realize the ball was live... you know who else didn't? Wilfork... Now I don't know but it's possible that Chad didn't want to draw attention since Wilfork had position on the ball... but maybe not... maybe it was a brain fart oh Chad too... and it it was every QB has them... That includes Brady...

5. jetiron

jetiron New Member

I was hoping Chad was playing dumb and gradually walk to the ball and take it and run! but guess he wasn't playing dumb....

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sometimes that play will be slightly backward, sometimes it won't- actually most of the time it is sideways or slightly forward.

7. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

everyone on the field except wilfolk thought it was a incomplete pass so your argument about chad not being smart or bad coaching is ridiculous

8. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Poor coaching, what a joke.

Fire Mangini. He didn't instruct the players to pick up a backwards pass!!

All 11 get to the ball, even the couple downfield blocking, HOW CAN YOU NOT RECOVER THAT!? Right Tackle!? Where the heck are you!? Come on. Ferguson needed to jump on that ball, or Pennington or a couple others but 11? get real.

9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I don't think you can fault Chad alone. What did the rest of the offensive players do, and most of the guys on defense for that matter? Fault everyone but Vince Wilfork.

10. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

That play didn't end the season. The Jets answered right back after they held the Pats to a field goal. The defense killed our season by allowing 3 long TD drives, particularly right before the half (huge momentum change) and the killer 13 play, 63 yard drive that all but sealed it.

11. harts24

harts24 Member

the only 2 players who would have seen that it was a backward pass was penn. and cotch. everyone else were running the play.

12. MyFavoriteMartian28

Listen. The "lateral" went from Pennington to Cotchery and was batted down in the backfield. All of this happened behind the backs of our linemen, in fact the only players who were responsible for looking into the backfield were Penny, Cotch and maybe the FB... the rest of the Jets were facing upfield with blocking assignments. So, given the fact that the Patriots entire defense was facing our backfield... we were never in good position to acknowledge the batted down pass, or recovered what would be ruled a fumble. All of the O-linemen were engaged in their pass protection, the other WRs were setting up downfield blocking, and Colvin was a blitzer no? If we had someone in the backfield who could have picked up the blitz maybe we aren't talking about this shitty play...

13. MyFavoriteMartian28

Yes. I regurgitated what you said... thanks for being one of the only other people here who understands this!

14. MyFavoriteMartian28

Let me be clear... our lack of a running game is why we couldn't stay in this game.

We played well enough throughout the first 3 quarter to come into the 4th quarter and make move to get the lead and keep it. Instead, we ran this lateral (because we weren't having any success with normal running plays), and then when we did have the ball we couldn't extend drives and kill time. Our drives were all passing plays and ended with FGs. When the Pats had the ball, specifically in the 4th quarter... they ran and converted first downs, and capped their drives with TDs.

We need a running game. A pass first, pass second offense is easy to defend in the red zone. Besides, does anyone know exactly how many passes we attempted in the end zone? We had a lot of trips to the red zone and I kept noticing that we didn't take any shots at the end zone. It was like we were running 9 yard routes when we needed 10.

15. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

what about D'Brick? you are taught to play until you hear the whistle. So don't put all this just on Chad.

16. JETTS216

JETTS216 New Member

everything is herms fault,,, has anyone seen bobo?