OK, I'm done with Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not even close.
    First off we got 3 draft picks back for Sam when we traded him.
    Sam has shown that he could be an NFL quarterback under the right circumstances, Zach doesn’t even belong in the NFL as a back up right now.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Have you watched his pressers? The dude takes zero responsibility and still talks about ZW being an option. I have loved this team for over 50 seasons, everyone has the right to their own opinion. Saleh is a good DC, but hasn’t shown much as the HC.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Usually when a GM/coach/QB fails here, I feel bad for them as a person and wish them all the best wherever they end up. Tanny, Idzik, Rex, Bowles, Sanchez, Geno, Sam, etc. Douglas and Saleh if we end up canning them in a year from now as well. But there's been one GM, one coach, and one QB where all I want to say is fuck that guy. Maccagnan, Gase, and now Zach.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saleh definitely has shown some flaws in his first 2 seasons.
    Whether sticking with Zach is his decision needs to be determined... but he's certainly giving it lip service.

I don't see the path for Zach to see the field again in a Jets uniform... the problem is Saleh just might... o_O

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

ZW shouldn't be active the rest of the season. The players have less confidence in him than the coaching staff, which is minimal at best. Finish the year with Lurch and Strev if MW can't go. No sense playing him, keep him healthy in the outside hope that somebody is dumb enough to give JD a 4th or 5th for him. Even with an off-season "reset" he's done here, no question. I truly don't think his career is over, he can bounce for a few years around the league as a backup before he ultimately goes into TV...

Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The NFL recently sent out a notice to teams that owners were paying more than $800M next year to GM's and coaches that had been fired.

This was undoubtedly both sound financial advice and a hyena laugh at the owners that spend too much on failed management.

Acad23 likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The CFL does strange things to players. 3 downs means you are always opportunistic because you may only get two plays before you punt. This is why Streveler always looks manic like he needs a 1st down on every play. Where he was playing recently he did almost need a 1st down on every play.

Nyjets4eva and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Honestly I think you've answered your own question here. The Jets don't need to stop drafting QBs. They do need to try to stop trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Forget looking at the wow and thinking you can instill the basics, draft someone with the basics who can develop physically and mentally and grow into the role.

CotcheryFan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Take the hit. Start fresh.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

send wilson to play spring football, in either the XFL or USFL.
    it would be interesting to see if another coaching staff, different system, more reps, and out of the nyc market make a difference.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Salah is a cheerleader coach--just wants the players to like him. When is the last time he was in a players' ear?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I think the bigger issue is how the team played with him and MW. Major difference.. they were lifeless last night because they, like me, lost faith in ZW ability to playQB,,,,

Jets79 likes this.
  13. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Wilson is inactive the last 2 games for sure. White will play if he's allowed. If not, they'll go to Flacco with Streveler getting a coupe of series.

Next year, White could get a chance or the next QB is not presently on the team. But Wilson will not be on the roster. No way. If the Jets pay most of his salary (which is a sunk cost anyway), my guess is they may be able to get a 3d rounder.

14. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Oh I know and we are in agreement. I'm just feel bad for Zach the human being and 23 year old man. Yeah I know I said fuck him in another thread lol, but that's only when I'm thinking about his overall play.

15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

As someone that didn't want the team to draft Zach, the question to me, when I see how Zach regressed over this season, especially since the bye, was always how does that happen? And it always comes back to experienced coaching, & organization. As tired as I am of the perpetual QB follies, I'm more tired of this organization's perpetual HC carousel, with the latest genius inexperienced, up-and-comer. The organization, especially since Woody bought the team, seems always trying to prove how smart they, rather than just hiring the best available.
    Drafting Zach was the same thing... despite the red flags, they knew better.
    And I give them credit for their initial 'plan,' when they hired Greg Knapp. But since, it's just been hoping for the best, rather than having a plan. And my biggest fear, is that with Zach's failure, & everyone's preoccupation with the Zach follies, the big picture is being ignored... the CS. Along with Zach's regression, the rest of the team regressed since the bye. And yesterday, outside of that first 3rd-down strip by Q, the team looked unprepared to play. They looked flat. I understand so many of you blame Zach, for the team quitting, but it's larger than Zach.
    There are red flags all over the place, aside from Zach. The offense couldn't finish, no matter who was QB.
    Why trade for JR, & just bench him, especially yesterday in bad weather, against his former team... a perfect game to activate him. Two early round WRs requesting trades. The D & its propensity to allow 3rd-down conversions, although they were great forcing FGs, rather than TDs. I can go on, but I'll finish with... the team collapsed, as a team, down the stretch. And the CS had no answers. Whether it's inexperience, or incompetence, we'll see over time, but there's a stubbornness to this CS that really troubles me. Not much flexibility to adapt to changing situations/circumstances, but sticking to their plan, when they actually have one.

Merry Holidays to y'all, & to all a good nite!

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it was clear that the players were making a statement about their lack of faith/support for Zach in how they played last night. I've never seen a team do that in 60 years of watching football. He simply has to go somewhere else.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Imagine you are an executive for another team. If you trade for Zach, Jets eat the signing bonus, but you still have to pay 4 mil in 2023 and 5.5 mil on 2024. On top of that you give up a 3d rounder. Would you do it? I highly doubt it. Zach right now is playing like Josh Rosen did before he got cut in his second year. Except he costs more. I am wondering if anyone would take Zach for free at this point given how much he costs. Maybe JD can get some deal done, but we will not get any compensation for it, and most likely will eat some of that cost. More likely though teams will wait for us to waive him and then get him to practice squad for minimum. Then it is a low risk as you don't have to take on 9.5 mil contract. But - you never know, JD did some amazing trades. Any move where another team takes on 9.5 mil of his contract would be that type of amazing move.

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Plus there are 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders playing better than he is. Its hard to imagine anyone wanting him at this point.

SOJAZ, Ralebird and Borat like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure if it makes that 1st round respectable. Missing like this on 2nd overall QB pick is a failure of gigantic proportions. I mean we didn't even get a Goff out of it. Not even a Baker, where he can be serviceable player. We got an absolute bust - worse than a practice squad scrub. When you consider opportunity cost, which many here were practically begging for - Justin Fields - this could soon be looking worse than Mac drafting Sam over Allen. You typically don't even survive blunders like that. JD may survive - if he can find a very good QB next year and make play-offs. But still, it's hard to overestimate the magnitude of this failure. Not to mention AVT has been out for the year, in just his second year, which is quite concerning also.

20. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

My thinking was the Jets pay, say 75% of his salary for the last 2 contract years. That would make Wilson affordable as a project qb with potential & therefore yield better draft compensation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.