So, what's the point? (Related to coaching)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I like you Betty

James Hasty likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no good reason for Zach to start another game before garbage time this season. He's not part of the solution right now he's a big part of the problem.

Jets69 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I said this right after the game. Zach probably needed a game like this to allow him to progress, as painful as it was to watch.

burf and ouchy like this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I hear and understand what you're saying, but this is not the week or the team we're facing that you're gonna see any significant changes with. Not with those pass rushers who are gonna make Zach run for his life the entire game. This game could potentially be lopsided very quickly, and I see Zach making some more careless throws yet again. We're are not gonna see Zach essentially do anything this upcoming weekend but handoff and run.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree, and an curious to see how he reacts on Sunday against a talented defense. Will he play it too safe, make bad decisions, or will he play within himself and the system with confidence and poise. Cant wait to find out.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

If you listen to HC presser today a reporter had the termerity (which BTW was spot on) to ask the HC if he thought the teaching techniques they are using with ZW is adequate. he said yes, OC and coaches are trying to emphasis the positive acpects - in other words, his strengths - and focus on how to improve his faults.

My question is, hows that working out Coach? This guy is delusional if he truly believes that.

ZW is the 32 rate QB when pressured and its not close... From a PR prespecive they have to support ZW if nothing else just to keep his psyche intack but I would bet $100 bucks, they have to be concerned. I mean,he seems to have regressed a bit and isn't even playing as well as last few games last year coupled with 5-3 and potential PO... something has to give. If he stinks up the joint this week, which hopefully will not happen, and doesn't get bench, then just maybe the CS is a problem as well as, ZW.

#26 SOJAZ, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In fact he is part of the solution. If Douglas is to realize his goal of long term contending he needs a QB that will be the foundation of that, not "rentals". You may disagree that Zach is that foundation, but so far Douglas thinks so and his opinion is the only one that counts.

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

DWC ????

9. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I like the fact that ZW was clearly pissed off after Sunday. Let’s see if it’s an epiphany for him.

I’ve said it since I first saw him play - his biggest problem is he’s shit scared out there. He refuses to step up in the pocket. One read and then if it’s not there he’s gone, running around in circles throwing it all around the yard. Until he gets over the fear of getting hit, he’s got absolutely no chance.

10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Most of us want Zach to learn & succeed. Last week was Zach & the team's biggest game. They, collectively, lost.
    So, this Sunday has become Zach & the team's biggest game. How will the team rebound? Will Mann rebound from a bad game? Will the D make some 3rd-down stops in the 1st-half. Will MLF actually to stick with the run for a while? Call some slants, screens, & 3-step quickies? And then there's Mr Wilson, the QB.
    Up until last week, since his injury last season, while Zach didn't burn up the field, he played without making critical mistakes.
    That changed last week. So, for me, how he responds this week, is a crucial test of his growth. He's never experienced this before. If he plays better, doesn't make critical mistakes, especially stupid ones, it'll be a big step for him. The key to me is if he can let go of last week... if he makes a mistake, can he let go of it, go back on the field, & settle himself down? The worst thing I saw last week, weren't even the bonehead plays. It was how he responded, & how things got progressively worse. Win or lose, most of us will get some good insight into whether Zach has the 'stuff' to be a successful NFL QB. And if the team is ready for the big time.

SOJAZ and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I was as optimistic as you about Zach prior to the season. I was and I have one or two threads that I started about it. Even when he got injured in preseason, but eternally I had Zach on a very short leash, and I didn't see any huge improvement coming out of year one after a couple games. I made it perfectly known as well I didn't and was concerned. It's just to much undiscipline backyard football nonsense that bothers me. His mechanics aren't that great either. It's all in his head, and perhaps he just is what he is. I don't know if we have the right coaching staff to fix it, or he's juts a bust. It's one of the two.

My original point was I'll give Zach a pass this upcoming week against Buffalo because this is not the week to see improvement from him if we are being honest. I have a feeling this game is gonna get ugly on the offensive side. Defense will be respectable for a period of time. I'm not expecting anything nor do I think the coaching staff are gonna ask much of Zach this Sunday. Just my thought.

James Hasty likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

ZW is not part of the solution at this point. He plays the QB position as poorly as anybody we've entrusted the job to over the last decade and we've had some real doozies play QB for us.

JD has gotten some of the biggest breaks possible this year in terms of early progression from other players and schedule breaks but in the end we're stuck watching a team with not enough talent due to injuries and with a QB that will burn down the house before he's done.

SOJAZ and James Hasty like this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I've never been optimistic about Zach... didn't want him drafted. But I don't think he's been given the proper coaching to amplify his strengths, & limit his weaknesses. JD has surrounded him with talent, yet the CS doesn't utilize that talent. Their solution was Breece Hall. As far as I can see, Zach is still at BYU. He's hasn't made a transition to the NFL. He appears to be on his own. So, in the absence of teaching/coaching, how does Zach learn to be an NFL QB? Last week, aside from a few minutes (ie: his 1st TD pass to Conk), he sucked, & generally, sucked more as the game progressed. After the game he looked angry & embarrassed. That game was a learning experience for him. So, this week's game is a good barometer of if he took in any of the lessons.
    It was also a wake-up call to the CS. They're failing him. So, we'll see if they've finally decided to help him, or just limit him. Saleh sounded earnest, when he said we (the CS) gotta do a better job helping him. That's what I want to see, before saying he's a bust. What I will say is if Zach was playing for the Giants now, we would be seeing some progress in Zach. Because that CS has designed their O to help Jones, & he now looks like an NFL QB. Can Saleh & company do the same for Zach??

14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NO...