Penalties...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan2004, Oct 30, 2022.

1. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

This team HAS to be more disciplined. Every week we seem to have at least one boneheaded foul that destroys us, and we've managed to overcome some of them.

While at the game, I though the RTP foul was a horrible call. Looking at the replay, it is 100% a foul. The entire game seemed to swing on that one play. Can't have it!

We lead the NFL in RTP calls BY DOUBLE....We have 6 of them this season. This has to be a point of emphasis this week and going forward. We cannot keep killing ourselves!

papapump, James Hasty and REVISion like this.
  2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The Jets defense is predicated on hitting the quarterback and sending a message. It's going to lead to some penalties. Today's was just stupid because Jones clearly didn't have the ball.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The NFL really needs to reevaluate RTP penalties. That ball was out and JFM pushing him after the play has zero impact on the actual throw. It was blatantly after the ball was released.

There is no reason for the call on the field to not stand and then asses the penalty on the XP or kickoff for RTP. It was absolutely a penalty and yes it was a very soft call, but at the same time it had zero impact on the actual outcome of the play.

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Red pinnies so they never get touched.

5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

6. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

Whether JFM's roughing the passer penalty was correctly called is debatable – seemed soft to me but I don't watch as much football as I used to and I understand the guidelines regarding what's acceptable have changed.

However, regardless, it makes no sense to me that roughing the passer penalties negate the outcome of the play itself when the penalty, almost by definition, always occurs AFTER the play. A more logical rule would have MCII's pick six stand, and then tack on the 15 yards to the next play. Hell, they can make it 25 yards if they want it to be taken more seriously, but the way the rule is currently written, it's just an undeserved bailout for the offense.

cval likes this.
  7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

To me, it's indicative of a poorly coached team. Even Zach, showing so little progress eliminating the stupidity, shows a lack in coaching. I think this team has a lot of talent, on all sides of the ball. But, there's a limit to how far a team can go on raw talent. They need coaches that teach, & coaches that adapt to the talent they have. Saleh seems to be a decent motivator, but the rest of it I'm not seeing. I'm beginning to think we've seen the ceiling of this team, with this current CS. Then there's losing Moore, & even Mims. Something is going on with this CS, when they can't/won't get talented players involved. But it's looking more & more to me, like the 4-game streak was the team winning despite the CS, not with any help from them. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong, but 15 rush attempts today, a lack of toughness on 3rd-down D, Zach repeating the same mistakes, & so on... I'm getting queasy about this CS.

papapump and James Hasty like this.
  8. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. Didn't see this comment at first and just posted the same sentiment

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I didn't look it up but I was just thinking seems like we have a killer RTP call every game. This just confirms there needs to be accountability

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you say, but I don’t think it was a soft call. It was a true roughing the passer.

100% agreed that it shouldn’t negate the play. But you’re going down a rabbit hole with that. You can say the same about penalties such as face masks and other calls. It doesn’t affect the play but it’s illegal.

REVISion likes this.
  11. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Semi-related. The NFL needs to reevaluate the grounding rule. Mid-sack throws at the ass of a RB 2 yards ahead of you in the backfield - should still be grounding. Feel like this happens to the Jets D frequently.

12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I wrote in the beginning of the game thread how JFM was finally limiting his stupid penalties.. Then he got one that basically changed the entire complexion of the game. It was soft, but A. That's the NFL and I wasn't disgusted by the call more than the player and B. This fucking guy has done it way too much. To me that was a legit RTP.

Honestly I'm trying to remember but I don't think that was the first time he's got a RTP on a defensive TD.

The Mosley one was a joke. Mac led with his head to get extra yards and was a runner. That's not a penalty. He was also slow to get up but was never checked for a concussion.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Referring today was utter shit. Penalty on CJ was pathetic.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. dawinner127

There should be a pretty clear distinction if the penalty occurred before or impacted the COP. If the COP happened before those penalties are called then it shouldn’t negate it. This instance is a clear example of the RTP no impacting the COP. A face mask, hold, block in the back etc after a COP still stands.

Amaru likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's really insane when you put it like that. Completely unacceptable.

16. JackBower

It's important to note the NFL has probably the worst refereeing of any sport organization in the world. It's easily the worst in America. Every game is littered with terrible calls so bitching about bad calls is not very useful.

Today there weren't many game changing bad penalties that effected the jets that they couldn't control. But it was still a poorly officiated game with multiple make up calls

17. dawinner127

Plenty of non calls that impacted the game though. No idea how this wasn’t OPI on Henry. [​IMG]

azhar80 and JackBower like this.
  18. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

YES!! I actually saw this out of the corner of my eye and commented at the game that I thought they missed this as a foul. This should have been OPI…

19. JackBower

Yea, but that happens probably a dozen times each week. This type of pick without offensive PI. This is a result of the NFL being terribly officiated as a whole as it's been for years.

20. JackBower

This is the current state of officiating in the NFL.

dawinner127 likes this.