Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

All week,very tough defense, zachs probably not going to be able to do much, going to have to run the ball and play good d
    Game day, tough defense , Zach doesn’t do much. A big run and defense plays good, omg why can’t zach do anything?
    I’m willing to give him another 17 games.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And against a better d this week

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

At some point, whether it's next week against the Pats or the week after against the Bills, we're not going to be able to shut down the opposing offense, and Zach will have to come out of his shell. Either he's going to show he belongs as an NFL starter, or he's going to go full Darnold and throw three picks. Then we'll know what we have in him.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m not so sure this is a game to judge him on.

two plays that can’t happen are the “fumble” trying to avoid a sack and the miss to Uzomah, other than that, this was a predictable performance.

5. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Zach has shown me essentially zero growth in 17 games as a starter. He has some physical tools clearly, but I do not believe he will amount to much in this league. I know for sure he is due for a 4 INT game sooner rather than later given the way he carelessly plays the game. He’s gotten very lucky so far this year. Terrible decision making, wildly erratic throws, and holding the ball longer than perhaps any quarterback I’ve ever seen.

tomdeb, JETS1116, Vida and 1 other person like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, he hasn't proven that he's "THE" guy, but he's making improvement and winning. If we had Darnold in these games IDK if we win any of them.

Personally I want to see Zach start making defenses pay by hitting some deep throws and racking up a 300 yard game or two, but I'm also happy that he's not making any killer mistakes, and not forcing things for the most part. He did look shaky in the first half, and I thought he was going to start playing hero ball, but he dialed it back in and led them to 3 FGs and the win.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I’m of mixed opinions. On the one hand, he’s Uber talented and I don’t want to throw that away. He misses gimmie throws, but can hit heymakers few can. I’d like to think he can be coached up to make those where as his off-platform ones can’t be. Additionally, Chris Simms has way of making me feel good about ZDub.

On the other, his stats our lousy and I am getting nervous!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

I feel reasonably confident at this point that Wilson is not going to be the answer. And unfortunately, that means we're not going to be serious contenders until we find someone who is going to be the answer.

It's great that we're 5-2 and it's the most invested I've been in the team since 2015, but I've seen this show enough times before to know how it ends. Yes, he's still young, and yes, the o-line could be better, and yes, we've faced some good defenses, but you watch him back there and he just doesn't have "it". I sure hope I'm wrong because I don't know what the solution is, but two things I know are 1) you're not going to win in this league unless you have a good QB, and 2) you can tell whether a QB will be good mid-way through their second season.

tomdeb, REVISion, Vida and 2 others like this.
  9. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

I agree. If he’s going to be the answer, then he should already be looking a hell of a lot better than he looks right now. Certainly if by the end of this season he continues to look the same, then you cannot go into year 3 without a quarterback competition, at the very least.

Vida and Jets79 like this.
  10. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Eh. Can’t say Darnold. He had to carry the team and play well for us win with those teams.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

He's learning to throw it away but that's after running around for 8 seconds, almost fumbling while taking 18 yard sacks and stepping out of bounds as he's getting hit in the arm and slammed to the floor.....
    but hey, HE THREW IT AWAY!!

12. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers will be our starting QB next year

13. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Hey man! I'm not critiquing Wilson until after the 2nd BUF game lol.

14. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

This is where he learns, on the field against tough D’s. If this were last year he would’ve thrown 4 picks and lead us to a loss. He by no means lit it up, but he didn’t blow the game either. The rest of the offense with the exception of the line is ahead of him.

Can he grow more this season? I think he can. That’s what this season was supposed to be about, Zach’s growth. We’re 5-2, expect some losses, but expect Zach to grow from it. I’m not ready to throw the towel in yet. I expect some painful games, much more than this.This one isn’t making me ready to give up on him though.

15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Zach was not good today. But, I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet. He led the Jets on a crucial scoring drive in hostile Pittsburgh. He's played 17 games the equivalent of a full season and change. No turnovers in the last 3 games, 4-0 as a starter.

Per Rich Cimini during the huddle after the Jets suffered some brutal injuries Wilson reportedly said

"Listen, take advantage of this opportunity. Step up. Grow a pair." He knows what's at stake. He may as well have been talking to himself. Time will tell. The Jets are winning games. Zach will step it up.

Go Jets.

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He has no excuses anymore. The Jets have a lot of offensive weapons. He has shown me absolutely nothing. I tried to give it patience but I'm over it now. It looks like his absolute ceiling is game manager and that's not what you select the number two overall player to be. Very disappointing.

tomdeb, wewantsapp and Jets79 like this.
  17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Gotta give him some more time... there is an evaluation process that needs more data.
    He has a few GW drives, showed some signs...
    Now it's consistency and getting better.
    If he does neither, then I think we'll see the JETS making moves this off season.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

This board is depressing. The Jets are winning and people are worried about statistics. The team including Zach does enough to win. Amazing that some posters can't enjoy victories. Rodgers' and Brady's teams lost today. Wilson's team won. I am having so much fun.

19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

This is not something that I would ever want to collect receipts on, but I've known this for some time and have been beat up by a lot of you guys for it. Which I totally get....

The interceptions last year weren't the thing that scared me--it was always his inability to consistently complete passes and actually accumulate significant yards through the air. Also his durability.

Unless this kid has every factor in his favor--running game, defense etc. He isn't playing NFL caliber football. The Tampa game was the only game he was able to play a complete game.

Even the TN game last year was a turnover fest--

Making the jump from BYU was always going to be a high-risk proposition--but after losing out on Trevor we really had no choice. We had to go QB. We had the choice of Fields who was from OSU (worst QB program on the planet), Mac Jones (Mr. Limited) or Trey Lance (basically same risk as Zach)

I don't blame them for rolling the dice on Wilson, we really didn't have a choice. I'm more so disappointed that I and others on this forum were correct about our concerns.

We are probably a deep playoff team this year with Lawrence, his struggles are mainly because of where he is playing. We could maybe trade up in the draft next year for a guy like Levis. Young is the only one I really like and he's going #1.

Joe Douglas and Saleh are the right people to lead this team and are limited by a VERY bad QB. Give this regime a serviceable QB like a Derek Carr or Kirk Cousins and we are competing for the championship game.

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My concerns about Zach are some of the same concerns as last year all revolving around confidence. His pocket presence is not as good as the end of last year and is taking sacks that are his fault and makes some throws with poor mechanics where he does not look comfortable.

On the positive. He has cleaned up a lot of his mechanical issues. His backfoot on his drop and his left foot when pointing at his target. He obviously did a lot of work in the off-season. He played a great game against Miami and a great 3rd and 4th quarter against Pitt. His use of eyes to look off and move defenders has been impressive and he has stepped up when needed. But, he is not playing consistently well and not at the level anyone would want.

Some may argue that the defenses he is playing are tough. Last year according to PFF he played the hardest defenses of any QB in the league. That might not be fair but it's unlikely to change. Given the state of the AFC east and the AFC he will always be playing hard defenses. He has to play better.

Zach's biggest issue IMO is mental. Playing relaxed. When he is relaxed his mechanics are good, he is decisive and he is accurate with an extremely high ceiling. When he presses everything falls apart. At some point things need to click and he needs to play relaxed with confidence all the time. I know he is young and it takes awhile and in theory he will become more relaxed over time. But, on the other hand failure usually forces young QBs to press more making things even worse. I guess what I am saying is the clock is ticking. He has the physical tools, the acumen and the intelligence but keeps getting in his own way. Zach might be another QB that is mentally not able to handle the pressure. But, he has a lot of time left to show progress and the luxury of being on a team that is winning. I think we should be concerned but we should also be patient. He will get at least 3 years if not 4 years to prove himself. We have a long ways to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.