In defense of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Oct 17, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez played well in the playoffs but he was still hot dog shit. So I'm not buying that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

the wins are the only thing that matter. 3-0

including 2 blowout wins.

Lam

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

4 road playoff wins... Gaupo as fuck!

stinkyB and James Hasty like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He played fairly well in both AFC Championship games. I'll always wonder what happens if we stopped the Steelers late in the 4th. We were moving the ball in the second half.

Brook!, James Hasty and Acad23 like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... our defense came out flat.

That game was a heart breaker.

Jets79 and James Hasty like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Wasn't all on the defense. Sanchez lost a fumble that Pitt returned for a TD in the second quarter.

Acad23 likes this.
  7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

He ain't no Mark Sanchez tho. Ain't that right @ColoradoContrails ??

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We should be so lucky to get as much out of Zach as we did from Mark Sanchez.

In his first four seasons the Sanchize missed only one game in his rookie year and one game in year four.

The team won most of its games (33-29) with him at the helm, year four was the worst season at 6-9.

The team also made the playoffs twice winning two games each year before being eliminated in the AFC Championship game each year.

As a rookie Mark Sanchez threw for 257 yards with two TDs and one interception (QB rating 93.3) only to see our defense get shredded by hall of famer Peyton Manning in the second half (we were only down 17-13 at the half).

Against the Steelers Mark threw for 233 yards with two TDs and no interceptions (QB rating 102.2) only to watch the defense give up 166 rushing yards in the game.

So far Zach has missed three games per season including one game where he was a healthy scratch against Miami with the coaches choosing to start Joe Flacco.

Despite winning all three games this year Zach is 6-10 as a starting QB for the Jets.

Our young QB has yet to play in the playoffs.

9. bicketybam

.[​IMG]

10. James Hasty

[​IMG]

Ralebird likes this.
  11. bicketybam

Do you actually tell people you pine for the QB play of Mark Sanchez?

12. James Hasty

I wouldn't mind two straight AFC Championship appearances.

13. bicketybam

Same. Put as talented a team around Wilson as the two Sanchez played on and you will most likely have the same, if not better results.

So your take is that we got there because of Sanchez?

14. James Hasty

My take is that our defense caused us to lose those AFC Championship games as Sanchez had good games all things considered.

My point is that Zach Wilson has a way to go before we can say that he is better than Mark Sanchez was for us.

While he was no Peyton Manning the Sanchize did what was asked of him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sure what started all this Wilson compared to Sanchez discussion, but regardless, I think Zach has been pretty much just OK overall…he’s shown flashes of great play, a throw here or there, or maybe his best was the fourth quarter in Pittsburgh, but he still hasn’t had what we’d say is his breakout great game…say like 300 yards and multiple TDs and no turnovers. Something like that.

but he’s doing what’s asked, he’s not losing games on his bad play, and shit we are winning!

For me, I’m still not totally sold on him yet…I think he’s talented physically, I think he’s got a good mindset, but he’s still learning how to read the field and make quick decisions….he still holds the ball too long, his pocket presence could stand to improve a bit…he ran into two sacks at GB…but he’s by all accounts a hard worker so I can see hope there.

but he just seems a bit inaccurate on the shorter supposedly easier throws (and as great as that bomb to Davis was, if he hits him in stride that’s a TD….Davis had to come back for the ball (I did see Zach say he purposely did not want to overthrow it)…but little things like that…be quick with the ball….sometimes it’s ok to take the open 6 yard throw instead of trying for the contested 15 yard throw…hit the open layups when they are there….

all stuff he should be able to improve on.

and I get he’s only played like 16 games or so….not the same as being a rookie as he’s had two offseasons to learn and practice, but fair enough point.

he has talent. He has potential. We are winning. He just needs to continue to grow and improve because he has the tools to be really really good. Just need the game to slow down for him a bit.

I do think that playcalling could help him…I would love to come out with no huddle hurry up and just let him play without overthinking it…he seems to do well in those spots. Get him some short crossing routes and let Moore and GW make a play. Stuff like that.

the stats say he’s middle of the pack and needs to throw more TDs and improve his completion rate. The eye test says he’s playing pretty well mostly in key spots and he’s not making too many bad decisions and he’s not turning the ball over. He’s getting there.

I think he can be very good…just need to see him keep improving.

we face three top defenses though at Denver (always hard for us there), and then NE and Buffalo…both with top defenses. I think they will start keying on the run now that Breece Hall is putting together some statement games, so Zach will have to come through for us to keep winning, and he’s going to have to do it against top defenses. Next three games will show a lot…

NCJetsfan, burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sanchez had a better OLine but Zach's OLine is starting to jell. I think the 2010 WR's get the nod over the '22 bunch. Sanchez was working with a veteran squad whereas Zach is the Commander of the Baby Jets. Not a fair comparison..

17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

GBs D’s strength is against the pass. They have issues with playing the run.
    Jets attack was to run the ball down their throats.

18. bicketybam

Down 17-0 to Pittsburgh with a 1:13 left in the first half, Sanchez fumbles and it's returned for a TD to make it 24-0. We go on to lose 24-19. Oh that fumble.

The year prior, he led the Jets to 0 points in the second half of the game. ZERO. We went into the 3rd quarter with a 17-13 lead. Sanchez proceeded to go 7/18 for 73 yards with an INT before the last series of the game that started with 1:06 left and the Jets trailing 30-17. He then went 4/4 for 45 yards to pad his horrific 2nd half.

Mark Sanchez had his hand dirty in both those losses. I understand you don't like and/or believe in Zach Wilson but trying to play revisionist history to make a point isn't working.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Look at the Jets win over Indy in the playoffs. Arguably the worst QB play by a QB ever in the playoffs. Sanchez was so bad in the 1st half they had to take the ball out of his hands in the second half and just run the ball refusing to throw. There is not a playoff game he played where if we switched QBs with the opposing team we would not have won by at least 30 more points. In fact if you put Sanchez against our defense in any of those playoff games is there anyone who actually believes Sanchez would have scored positive points? Most likely there would be 0 points plus 2-4 defensive TDs on Sanchez TO's.

Sanchez was not just bad but the worst QB to ever play the game. No QB ever had it easier. Number one defense, number one offensive line, best rushing attack, run the ball 58% of the time, defenses daring you to throw to wide open receivers knowing you are to inaccurate to throw anywhere near them and primarily being asked to pass in PA situations. There is not a bad QB that has ever existed that would not have put up a 70 percent completion percentage and eye popping numbers. Instead Sanchez was all time leader in fumbles per game in his 4 years. It was not until 2011 that Sanchez was asked to play in normal situations that other QBs are asked to play in. People complain about Wayne Hunter but in 2011 the line was still really really good. The line gave up the 5th and 11th least pressures and hits. The problem again was Sanchez he was 38th out of 38 qualifying QBs under pressure. He took sacks at ridiculous rate of 24 percent. When confronted with pressure he would close his eyes run blindly with the ball extended until either he fell down, ran into something or someone runs into him. Sanchez was simply a gym shorts QB to afraid to play tackle football. A touch football player that was afraid to take a hit. Always one of the least hit QBs in the league because he would rather take a knee than chance a hit. You never saw him attempting to complete a pass while taking a hit like other QBs because he was too scared. The ironic thing was when Geno Smith beat out him out in 2013 we finally saw Sanchez try to show some toughness in a pre-season game and stay in the pocket and he gets injured. Like Westoff said Sanchez cost us the superbowl. It is really too bad we did not start Kellen Clemens.

#39 Noam, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Other than that though, Sanchez wasn't too bad. o_O

Noam likes this.