Let's talk WR's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Jan 5, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think he would be a great addition to our WR room.

2. NCJetsfan

3. NCJetsfan

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Thank god you don’t like Wilson. Automatic stud now lol

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I rate the WR class like this:

1. Wilson - Fast, dynamic, built solid, excellent route running ability. He is the closest to Chase in this draft.
    2. Burks - Size, strength, YAC potential. Reminds me of Deebo Samuel only bigger.
    3. Olave - Route running technician, fast and quick. Reminds me of AB without all the craziness.
    4. Williams - size, speed and athleticism. Too bad he got hurt but has a really High ceiling and reminds me of AJ Green.
    5. Ross - size, speed and route running ability. I think he’s a sleeper with big upside. Reminds me of Dez Bryant.
    6. Metchie - speed, quickness and excellent route running ability from the slot. Reminds me of Waddle.

I’m not big on London, Dotson and Doubs I think they have huge bust potential.

6. Richard Lyman

Richard Lyman New Member

Part of the reason Jets had so many drops this year is that Z Wilson has a cannon. If receivers had trouble catching the ball from a QB with a lesser arm, they will really struggle catching throws from Z Wilson. Williams catching is a problem.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of drafting London at 10. His production was on a crazy pace before he got hurt last season. 45% of every pass thrown by USC was to London last year, that's just nuts. He was basically the only WR any team facing USC had to worry about and he still caught tons of balls. I think if he runs a 4.5 or faster he'll be a no brainer pick.

He's also a fiery competitor which I think JD will like. He'd give us the type of weapon we haven't had in a very long time and be a great complement to Moore.

IIMeanDeanII, Aero and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If the tape exists you should try to see if you can watch his game against Washington State. USC was struggling in the first half when Slovis went down and had to put in true freshman QB Jaxson Dart and London literally took the game over and they blew them out in the second half.

I think London is a better downfield threat than he was able to display too. Slovis threw a lot of floater balls. I don’t know if he doesn’t have enough arm strength or if he was just always aiming the ball but they couldn’t attack downfield much because of it so he was somewhat relegated to being a possession receiver out of a function of the offense and QB.

IIMeanDeanII and REVISion like this.
  9. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

a sleeper in the 3rd to 5th round, underclassman Erik Ezukanma. Good size 6'03" 220, good speed, gets YAC, gets the 50/50 ball, gets the end zone pass, and Great Hands. Check out the video.. Notice how many times he caught under thrown balls.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

nobodies really talked about calvin austin III. and IDK why. he's a 5th round guy who I think would be a steal. he's an elijah moore lite. thought i'd bring him up again since he was voted by the opposing teams DB group as the MVP of the WR group during the weak of practice

here are the other winners for reference

WR - Calvin Austin (Memphis) as voted by the DB group

WR - Christian Watson (No Dak St) as voted by the CB group

LB - Damone Clark (LSU) as voted by the OL/TE/RB group

LB - Brian Asamoah (OU) as voted by the OL/TE/RB group

S - Jalen Pitre (Baylor) as voted by the TE/WR group

S - Leon O’Neal (A&M) as voted by the TE/WR group

TE - Trey McBride (Colorado St) as voted by LB/S group

TE - Daniel Bellinger (San Diego St) as voted by DL/LB/S group

OL - Ed Ingram (LSU) as voted by the DL group

OL - Trevor Penning (UNI) as voted by the DL/LB group

DT - Travis Jones (UConn) as voted by the OL group

CB - Roger McCreary (Auburn) as voted by the WR group

CB - Coby Bryant (Cincinnati) as voted by the WR group

Noam likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

What is the fascination this year with the midget WRs like Wilson, Dotson, and now Austin???? We have Moore and Berrios will probably be back. We don't need another small WR. Our other WRs need to be over 6", preferably well over 6'. If Berrios leaves in FA and we need to draft another PR/KOR, then fine, go draft another shrimp, but for the WRs who will see the field no more small WRs.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

austin is a late pick. doens't stop us from adding another WR earlier. from the looks of it crowder, cole and berrios are all gone. that leaves us with davis, moore, mims, and smith as our top 4. adding 2 guys makes sense. austin can be our berrios. a 4th WR and return guy. we can still land an outside guy if you wanted like burks.

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

David bell is interesting

14. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying taller, big play receivers aren't preferred, but the issue is a lack of quality receivers period. Davis is as big any receiver the Rams, Chiefs and Bills had. Having an NFL quality TE for the first time in eternity will also go a long way in addressing any issues with a lack of height in the passing game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the issue is finding receivers that can create separation. Davis was one of the worst in the league last year creating seperation. Moore was our only WR that was good at creating separation with Berrios just being average. This showed itself against man coverage. We really struggled against teams that played man coverage while we did very well against zone teams like Cincinnatti. Playing NE, Buffalo and Miami we need receivers that can beat man coverage. This means quick receivers that can get in and out of their breaks fast. I think this is why the preference is on smaller quicker Wrs over larger slower Wrs plus they fit our system better being able to play all roles and being able to contribute running the ball and excel at YAC.

16. NCJetsfan

Burks isn't slow. He's faster than Wilson, and with his size, leaping ability, ability to use his body to shield defenders from the ball, catch radius and great, large hands. He will have more than enough separation. Too many small WRs presents problems for QBs as the catch radiuses and windows are small, and they are often at a size disadvantage in man-to-man coverages.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Davis is better than most of the WRs we've had over the last 10 years or so, but that's not saying much. In the grand scope of things, he's not that good. I think having a Deebo Samuel type weapon in Burks, who can also probably grow into a #1 WR would be invaluable to this offense.

18. NCJetsfan

I think a lot of Jets fans either are too young or don't remember when we had Cole and Moss as our two top WRs. It makes life a lot harder on the QB. They're harder to find and harder to get the ball to. Being a good target is more than just route running. Size - height and girth are just as important and make a difference. Some have said that having a bigger TE will help, but if we get McBride he's 6'3", not 6'5" like some of the better TEs in the NFL. Ruckert at least is 6'5". If we had two WRs who were on the taller side (Burks and Davis) and a TE or two (McBride, Rucker, Schultz) that would make Zach's life a LOT easier. He could always throw the ball up and let one of them go get it. That happens quite a bit for other teams in the NFL. We need to have that ability as well, not have two of our top WRs be sub 6' and then one TE and only one WR who are over 6'.

19. GasedAndConfused

whats your thoughts on wan'dale robinson, calvin austin III, and ezukanma?

20. NCJetsfan

As long as we have Burks, I'd be fine with any of them. If we take Wilson, however, Austin and Robinson would be out. We would need a tall WR. I have zero interest in going back to the days when we had Cole and Moss and no WR over 6' that was worth a damn.

I'd want Ross or Metchie if we took Wilson, and it would kill me seeing Burks becoming a star on another team.

Borat and NYJetsO12 like this.