Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but drafting "starters" for the worst team in the league is not a positive, it is not enough. We want good starters, not just drafted starters. There is a youth movement going on so of course they are starting, the job was handed to them!!

If anything many of the "starters" Joe Douglas has drafted should not be starting, including his most high profile pick, Zach Wilson

2. BrowningNagle

no way.

Moore is going to finish the season playing in only 11 games. Carter 14 (maybe). That's a tall task for anyone to reach 1000 yards in so few games, especially when they would be 2nd or 3rd options at their respective positions for the good teams you mention

ouchy likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

A good CS would immediately see the ability of these players and reward them with playing time. There is a reason they were coveted players during the draft.

The weak link for the Jets is Saleh and his staff.

Joe probably will be afraid to fire him because he’s Muslim and the woke generation will try and spin this and say he never got a fair shot. He needs to go back to doing what he does best, being a DC. Not all DCs make good HC.

4. BrowningNagle

Carter went in the 4th round, so apparently he wasn’t too coveted

And their lack of games played is because they were injured, not because the staff didn’t play them. This Jets staff has given those 2 guys a high volume of opportunities actually

KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hmmm.......

6. jilozzo

actually 3 is the goal, the benchmark, in any NFL draft.

the definition of legit starter is to each's own, but GM's would give up a ball if they could walk away from each draft with 3 starters.

the good teams manage to do it, not every year of course, but enough to get them where they want to go.

7. jilozzo

some important detail is the positions that are being drafted - %age of starters drafted and %age of what position starters are drafted.

The detailed GM's have all of this data - not only for their own team but the other 31.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

3 is the goal yes, but I believe the average number of legitimate starters teams get from the draft is between 1.5 to 2.

I saw the stat a while back on the Bird App so I'll have to try to find the guy who ran through all the drafts in the last 10 years and found that number though so don't take that stat as gospel.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

C'mon BN. AVT & Moore would get a boatload of playing time for any team in the league and Carter would get significant time for the majority of teams in the league.

Echols and Michael Carter (CB) are the two rookies who a lot of fans are high on that I am still questionable on. I didn't count either of those players when I made my post about getting 3 legit impact players. Those two could very well be just drafted starters because there was no one to compete with.

Red Menace and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Less cap invested in useless players, more young players that look better than most of idziks and McCagnans drafts combined. Like I said, if we are looking in a vacuum solely at the product this year sure we are terrible. Not sure what the point of that is... masochist?

We already have 3 legit starters from this past draft, but the people here who have gone into feeling sorry for themselves mode will just say "we can't judge this year's draft yet." Did idzik McCagnan ever have 3 legit starters year one?

#130 JackBower, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  11. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying JD is the right guy, but no one was fixing this disaster in 2 years. Not Parcells, not Belichek, not even the higher powers were gonna swoop in here and make this a playoff team.

I don't think a lot of you realize how far Macc and Idzik set this team back. We were essentially an expansion team after all the wasted picks and trades of anyone who was halfway decent.

We probably still have 2 years before we can make an honest assessment on JD. He may not be here because of the idiots who live by the Post and Bart Scott comments, but that's the reality of this.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are 30 pts away from allowing the most points in franchise history.

Whose record are they breaking?

The 2020 Jets.

Acad23, REVISion and JackBower like this.
  13. Red Menace

Carter was not expected to be there in the 4th, everyone expected him to be gone sooner, and a legit CS would be handing the ball off to Carter 25-30 times a game.

Guy is getting average of 10-13 rushes a game, that’s not my definition of opportunities.

RBs need more touches as the game goes on, the Colts are realizing that with Jonathan Taylor. The games he has 20 or more rushing attempts he wears down the defense and puts up big rushing yards. The games where he only had 10-15 rushing attempts his production was minimal.

This CS blows!

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

JD doesn't deserve credit for the 7 wins in 2019. He didn't sign one player.

Our record with JDs roster is 5-25.

15. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I’m all for giving people the benefit of the doubt and I sincerely want anyone representing the Jets to succeed. However…

1) There is little doubt that the Jets are worse now than when Douglas took over.

2) Behind the mask of building through the draft, Douglas has put together a roster almost entirely devoid of talent and hugely absent valuable experience. These rookies are surrounded by other rookies or people like Dan Feeney. Ffs. It’s so unbalanced - and guess what next year’s draft class faces the same challenge.

Im not saying the CS is above criticism but Salah and co can only work with the players that JD provides. And by and large, they are not good enough. I don’t see enough progress, in fact we are going backwards. Douglas stinks

Br4d and ouchy like this.
  16. Red Menace

I don’t attribute the players lack of progress to lack of skill, I’m sure some of these guys are only depth players.

However, players can only do what they are asked to do based on scheme. The wide 9 defense biggest weakness is the inability to stop the inside run, the Jets CS have had all season to come up with an answer for that, they have not done so.

There are some scheme adjustments that can be made, however I have not really seen any, two gapping schemes work well but the jets have not even tried to use it from what I have seen.

maybe others can shed light on whether it has been done or not.

I would prefer to keep Douglas over Saleh at this point.

17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It's more a function of Idzik and Mac being bad. Figure the former blew twelve picks in 2014 and the latter handed out ridiculous FA contracts.

Turning to the 2020 Jets, make no mistake, JD bears responsibility for this cluster fuck. The flaw in his plan was to build a roster that relies on young talent and hire a CS that doesn't have a lot of experience. Particularly, a CS that doesn't have a lot of experience working and coaching up young talent. Consequently, the talent didn't develop as hoped and that's one of the many, many, many reasons why this team is shitty.

Br4d likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The 2020 draft was based on the team/system Gase wanted. It was a waste.

NYJFOREVER and Jets79 like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is 100% the problem. If you want to build around a really young roster you need to have some well-seasoned coaches who have seen how players develop early in their careers. The Jets should have had HC, OC and DC who all had experience in those roles. Instead the coaches are as green as the players and it shows in the results.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really buy this. Douglas owns the draft from top to bottom. Douglas was just drafting bad football players because of Gase? Cmon man.

ouchy and HomeoftheJets like this.