Robert Saleh comments on Wilson’s struggles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WalterMichaels, Dec 2, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please re read my post. No one is saying that. I'm talking about the supporting cast and coaching impact on our QB. I'm not talking about QBs from another team. I also stated I'm not praising Wilson and happy to point his shortcomings. But to your point, comparisons to other QBs used by folks here and myself are only to point out how tough it is to succeed as a rookie QB, particularly if you fall into a team, like the Jets, with the worst defense in the entire league, no kicker, and dubious coaching moves during the game. Do you think Wilson would ever have the luxury with this team to win a game by handing the ball to the running backs on 99% of the plays, and only asked to throw three times under adverse conditions? Not in Gods lifetime. His woes and he has many, are acerbated by the complete lack of "I got your back rookie" that this team provides. That is my point.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course what one QB does isn't affected by what another QB does, that's not the point, but you're trying to make it the point because you can't argue with this: How a QB is viewed and judged IS done via comparison and in context with what other QBs have done. The same is true for all players, across all sports. How else do they decide who the Player of the Week", etc. is? Usually it's the player with the best stats, but as we all know, stats can be deceiving, and also context matters - a guy could have mediocre stats but have played a great game overcoming poor play by their teammates, bad coaching, bad weather, a superior opponent, and so on, so in that context their achievement was greater even though their stats weren't so great.

So, while what Wilson does isn't affected by any of those other QBs you mentioned, he'll be compared to them, and judged accordingly, fair or not.

Acad23, LAJet and bicketybam like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He winning the rookie of the week total! :D

[​IMG]

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well it is something, surprised they haven't shoehorned TNB (thenewbrady) into one tbh

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Clearly that's Mac Jones.

Cman68 and K'OB like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But that's what I had written and you claimed to disagree with. You can't have it both ways.

Again, I understand everything you say about coaching and the rest of the team and they all mitigate what others do, it's a team game. Having said that, the performance of every guy on the team can be judged on itself without referencing anyone else who ever played the position. If Wilson (or any other QB) throws once, they get judged on how well they make that pass. Wilson is not asked to win games alone and even the best quarterbacks who played the game never single handedly won anything. No one expects that here.

7. Ralebird

I disagree completely with the bolded statement, except to frame that which is possible or impossible. Far too many here consistently bring up comparisons that are meaningless in an effort to excuse subpar performance. We get it - everybody makes crappy plays, including every guy in the Hall of Fame. None of that excuses any player from being judged on what he does on the field. And it wasn't I who mentioned anyone in determining how anyone else did, I just cited a few who have been mentioned here and in similar topics even though they are irrelevant to the topic here - "Wilson's Struggles."

I, for one, don't give the slightest crap about "Player of the Week" or player of the month or defensive player of the game - we all got along without such nonsense for decades - why do we need it now? Oh! It's because the NFL gets sponsorship money from advertisers for publicizing such nonsense - ever heard of Pepsi and Fedex? Probably nothing to turn a discussion with.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

OK. Peace. Let me try it this way. This is exactly what you said in the post I responded to. "And, once again, pointing out the problems of any other player does absolutely nothing to inprove the performance of a player you're trying to praise or defend" Yes, I totally and completely disagree with that as written, because the players on our team have much to do with the performance of Wilson finding his way in the NFL and that is what I made a point of. Not using other team QB performances for that. I thought I made that clear. If your rookie QB is expected to score 30+ points to win the game because our D is putrid and the supporting cast sub par or the coaching sucks then it make his job much, much harder. I don't know where you draw from you sentence that I was talking about players on another team. My bitch is simple, Wilson's woes are magnified by the mediocracy of this team and coaching, nothing more.
    But if your point is Wilson performance should not be judged based on comparisons made to other QBs, well, unfortunately, that is not quite that simple. Like it or not, JD and this team will be judged front and center by all the experts analysts and fans alike, not just by how good or not Wilson becomes, but more so how good was his QB draft choice and how good was his trade for Sam. Did JD made the right move or not. And for that everyone with an opinion will be making comparisons up the kazoo to all the other rookies and free agents he could have taken or traded for. We have over fifty years of Jets history that validates with desperation the faint memory of a good QB. Lets hope that changes soon.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hope he didnt have a choice in the matter but if it was me I would decline the offer to stand with a "rookie of the week" championship belt after a two touchdown loss

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

of course they don't have the option. can you imagine a player refusing to accept an award from an NFL sponsor? It would look shitty on zach at the least and we'd never hear the end of it. On the contract side i'm pretty sure they are obligated to just like with media days and conferences and stuff so likely he would be fined

cval likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You really expect a GenZ to turn down a photo op? It was probably as easy as asking him what he thinks of the weather. Cameras and digital screens document their lives.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The entire defense runs to the end zone when they make a play. Let Zach enjoy his award.

13. Ralebird

I can accept the difference you point out here regarding the "supporting cast" although the history of the thread in general and my comments were in reference to other quarterbacks - some of whom haven't played in years. In fact, I believe I referenced players not on the field with Wilson at the time. At the end of the day, however, the play of every single player on the field is their own responsibility that must be judged for itself, not on the basis of what anyone else is doing while acknowledging that the concept of a team game will certainly make each player's job easier or more difficult based on what the other ten guys do.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You must be a blast at parties. ;)

PJ4Ever and Mogriffjr like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s a weekly award right? So every week there’s a new photo of the winner holding the “championship belt” or no?

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

maybe they should have drafted a guy who played against actual competition and did well against it in college. i dont know, i think they fell in love with his "arm talent" and over looked the fact he isnt a great qb. maybe he learns, my money is on rinse and repeat in a couple years.

the gm also has to make sure that the team around the young qb isnt a pile of dog crap, which it is in our case, unlike that team up north who somehow managed to rebuild their entire team in a year and a half.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah that’s the rub…but truly the team up north hadn’t deteriorated like ours…their defense was still very good. Their OL was still very good, on top of getting the benefit of holding every snap….the only thing they really didn’t have are a decent set of receivers

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We are complaining that he took a picture for social media that’s branded with one of the leagues biggest sponsors? This place rocks.

PJ4Ever and NYJFOREVER like this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Insane!

20. Ralebird

I think the issue is more that some here actually believe it means something.