Wilson is on pace to set the sacks-taken record

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

It was depressing enough to watch my Patriots go down today, but the Jet effort in Denver was even worst!

The easy thing would be to blame the offensive line, not that they don't deserve any criticism.

I did not see too many Jet receivers getting open today.

But was simply amazed me was how any time Denver decided to blitz they had a free guy to the QB. Can the Jet's offense pick up any blitzes? When you see a free pass rusher going right up the middle untouched, this tells me we have a communication problem here! Who was supposed to pick up the blitzing LBs blitzing today?

I can tell you unless something changes, neither Zack Wilson or Mac Jones will survive this season. Last week I was all over Wilson because he prevented the Jets from beating a crappy Patriot team. This week I think he had no chance, even if he did play poorly.

SOJAZ, Cman68 and REVISion like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm traumatized.

Jedi mind tricks and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They conditioned their GM hiring on having Gase as coach, so is it surprising how it's turned out?

REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Moses wound up released for a reason. He's that 30 year old guard/tackle who has lost a step and only the Jets are willing to put him on the field because the OL is so bad.

They keep doing this BTW. It's been a constant since 2002 or so.

SOJAZ, REVISion, IIMeanDeanII and 2 others like this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Gonna be honest here, as much as McGovern and Van Roten look like garbage, at the end of last year they looked good. Becton look solid last year. Even Fant was almost playable. Makes you wonder if it's the players or the scheme. But I do know at the end of the year they looked good.

Mims also looked good last year. And decent in limited reps this year. Honestly so far I put most of the blame ok n La Fleur. Fact is they either aren't learning the scheme or the scheme is garbage.

As most know I was against trading Darnold and getting Wilson. That said so far Wilson just looks like a rookie who should probably be holding a clipboard. He does hold the ball way to long. But La Fleur looks like utter garbage.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I'd say since around 2011/2012, they had a solid O-line in the early days of the Sanchez/Rex era for sure, and a decent O-line for a few years before then. But I get your overall point, recycled O-linemen from other teams..... hopefully AVT develops and Becton comes back and develops as well or the cycle may continue.

Br4d likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course he is. I don't even know why anybody would be surprised at this stage.

The kid should've sat until a competent offensive base was built. Our last decent QB who had a shot at being a franchise QB (not including one-year rentals) came off the bench in his third season and looked great.

At least see what the line looks like under live fire before putting Wilson behind it. The people running this team are clueless.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Zach isn’t helping matters either holding on to ball for eternity.

SOJAZ and All Gas No Shake like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with having him behind center, it’s how a CS goes about using the rookie QB that’s the issue. Bruce Arians was the OC for Pittsburg when Ben broke into the league, Ben was rarely asked to carry the team, Arians simply used a boring running game to help him along.

The offensive CS is not ready to develop a rookie QB, it was painfully obvious from the first game of the season.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There is everything wrong with having him behind center right now. That is the biggest mistake they have made to date.

The Steelers had a tried and true culture in place when Big Ben took over. Nothing was new except the QB.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While Zach on some plays holds the ball looking to make a play this is not a situation like Fields where the QB is causing the sacks. Wilson definitely belongs out there and given adequate time he can pick apart a defense. The problem is the rush is having an effect. It is not coming just from the edges but up the middle. He cannot reliably step up in the pocket. He is showing signs of degrading from the rush. He looks more hesitant and gunshy. The Jets pass protection has been dead last and it is the entire line, the TEs and the RBs. No one can pick up a blitz.

A secondary concern is the number of drops by receivers. 7 or 8 drops per game kills all offense. They are drive killers, take points off the board and kill the offense.

Saleh was right things will get worse before they get better. Little is likely to change before the bye week. This is some depressing football.

#31 Noam, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

1 more game until people start beating Saleh up for his stairs running ritual.

REVISion likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He won’t break the record because he won’t last the season like this

REVISion and fggrimes like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah. Something didn't make sense at all about Moses which is why I couldn't get excited about him. WFT wants to win a division and opted to let him go when they had the cap space to retain him even after free agency and into the summer. They instead went with the second round rookie.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep ...1969 was the year I signed on to this Train Wreck

Same sh+t different day ..over and over and over. Year after Year

You wanna believe JD is smarter but he isn't apparently...lol he is doing the same thing to Zach like he did with Sam ..no protection and bad receivers

I need a break from this

SOJAZ and papapump like this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the plan was for big ben to sit ... he started after tommy maddux got injured

Red Menace, cval and BrowningNagle like this.
  17. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

This is what I'm saying tho they didn't all become worse. We don't have a talented roster but this CS shares a lot of blame. The scheme they're teaching is clearly not getting through to the OL. maybe that gets better down the road

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Arians didn't become the coordinator until 2007. It was Ken Whisenhunt and they also had a likely Hall of Fame head coach, runningback and a franchise that had been under .500 twice in the past twelve years. That team was ready to go. This one was/is not.

abyzmul and Red Menace like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

All it would take is an "injury" That groin injury can get bad might have to sit a week or two.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.