Jets trade for Shaq Lawson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He may not be an All Pro, but I'm sure he'll play with much more motivation - and production - than he would've for the Texans. A "plus" move for JD!

Brook!, The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not sure why anyone is questioning this move, honestly.

He cost us a 6th round pick. What did we lose making the trade?

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Love it. As a Clemson fan, kid had all the talent in the world. I know it has t materialized in the nfl but he has the keys to use his arsenal of moves and will be the guy. No worry about seeing the field. Hope he’s motivated and still in love with the game.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

and presumably, be able to choose another team, for a 6th he gets no choice but to be a damned Jet, the poor bugger.

5. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Good move by JD to fill a critical whole for this specific defense, with a decent player (not a world changer), for a low cost (6th rounder), who's under contract for 2yrs and is young enough to support the D this year and next year. I wouldn't view this as a replacement for Carl Lawson, lets face it, top end edge's don't ever become available unless their cost/age outweighs their talent...in which case JD wouldn't deal for that player...He's more a replacement for Curry. If you look at it that way, I think you won't be disappointed. Let's face it, the Jets aren't an edge away from the Super Bowl or even a playoff birth...They are an edge away from respectability and a 5-6 win season...6th rounder to try and get there is a good move.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This guy is a hedge against further injuries on the DL. Meat.

7. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I still want Barnett. Can never have enough pass rush

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup…we needed help at edge and he comes cheap…this was exactly the kind of move I expected JD to make….as opposed to spending more draft capital on a higher end player

after the attention to offense early in this last draft, I think next year we need to go Edge, CB and OL or perhaps LB

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I love this move for multiple reasons. Obviously Shaq Lawson helps fill the void lost by Carl Lawson, but more importantly to me it shows that the Jets are interested in competing and winning. They did not just stand pat and let the young guys try their best. Hopefully Joe Douglas continues to improve the roster in the upcoming weeks.

10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

So... bookend Lawsons in '22?

ColoradoContrails, Noam and IDFjet like this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Nailed it

#28Martin likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This thought occurred to me as well. Lawson has some nice skills and looks like a steal with a 6th. But following his career path is like watching a game of ping pong. It can't just be coincidence that he keeps being that guy traded during fire sales. He's young enough to be a foundational piece.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Texabs websire said he has zero pressures in 49 preseason
    Exactly. He is a hold the fort guy until someone better gets healthy or available. His pass rush/pressure numbers recently clearly disappoint.

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Good move by Douglas. We take a chance on a guy to fill a position of need created by an injury to one of the best players on the team. Either he steps up and plays well and we now have two guys who can get to the passer, or (and the more likely option), he plays on par with what he's done so far in his career and we spent a 6th to give a guy a tryout and fill a position of need. Given how big the loss of Lawson is, I'm OK with Douglas taking a gamble on this trade.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The guy had talent that he showed in Clemson, and was pretty good in Buffalo and Miami. If he wants to still play football, I'm betting Saleh can get the most out of him. If not, see ya!

Freddy Mondo, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it's possible that neither is still with us.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's what I thought at first too man but then after not only watching film on Shaq Lawson but also digging much deeper into his statistics etc I've walked away A+ fired up and that's because his numbers of production are (damn near) identical to Carl Lawson's.

Shaq Lawson (previous two years of 2019 and 2020).

29 Games Played.
    10.5 Sacks.
    17 Tackles for loss.
    18 QB Hurries.
    24 QB Knockdowns.
    36 QB Hits.
    53 QB pressures.
    64 Tackles.
    1,055 Defensive Snaps.

140.5 QB Sacks/Hurries/Knockdowns/Hits/Pressures (combined).

VS.

Carl Lawson (previous two years of 2019 and 2020).

28 Games Played.
    10.5 QB Sacks.
    10 Tackles for loss.
    15 QB Hurries.
    41 QB Knockdowns.
    54 QB Hits.
    67 QB Pressures.
    59 Tackles.
    1,180 Defensive Snaps.

187.5 QB Sacks/Hurries/Knockdowns/Hits/Pressures (combined).

A slight edge goes to Carl Lawson but if as a fan base we were A++ excited about Carl Lawson well then I feel and believe we should all be A+ excited over Shaq Lawson because not only can he really get after the QB but he was also a big piece to Buffalo's 2019 Defense that ranked 2nd and 3rd in yards allowed and points against.

He's much better than Carl Lawson against the run too.

And he's also never played alongside of a beast DT such as Quinnen Williams which means Shaq Lawson (imo) will FEAST @ 4-3 DE this year.

18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

They might make a good "law" firm. Lawson and Lawson.

Seriously, if he just stays healthy, it's a win.

NCJetsfan and JackBower like this.
  19. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

We still need another pass rusher we lost 2 and we rotate them in. Would still love to trade for Derek Barnett. And while we’re at it look for a te maybe ertz or someone else. But I still think ertz has a lot left in tank and he’s healthy now. Fuck it we have the draft picks 10 left I believe so why not. I’m so hyped up for this season and we mine as well get players this year for late round picks to see if they work out because when Zach gets comfortable we will be a great team why wait for players when we can start now to see if they will stick and be with us moving forward.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Combining knockdowns, hurries and pressures into the same formula to form a super stat is wild.

FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.