Potential Trade Incoming for Pass Rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 22, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You forgot to include P. Manning with the Colts. And the Chargers had Hadl, Fouts, Brees, and Rivers.

It's one of the most frustrating and maddening things I've endured as a Jets fan for almost 60 years that the franchise that had Joe Namath, and that brought the mighty NFL to its knees, turned its back on the primary reason it could do what it did and ignore the QB and offense for the next 5 decades.:mad: Really, it was mind-boggling! But it finally seems like they figured it out and I'm glad I've lived to see at least that. I only hope I can hang on to see them win another SB.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Part of why people say JD has some "projects" this season is that we have offered larger contacts to some players then they might have been worth. These include Lawson and Cory Davis. Its not a massive over payment but its above what their past production warranted, and more then they would've gotten from other teams. It could be argued that because we are the Jets we need to slightly overpay. With JD it has been more of a "he wont pay top dollar for proven stars" situation. But we will pay above market value for potential breakout players.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Your point about evaluating a team based on FA is valid, but FA IS part of the equation. Really, the only way to truly evaluate a team is the Parcells Rule: "You are what your record says you are". That accounts for FA signings, drafting, trades, coaching, all of it.

But the reason that FA in the NFL is such a crapshoot, unlike MLB or the NBA, is that their version of "free agency" still favors ownership and ties up players, coupled with the much shorter "shelf life" of NFL players that by the time a player gets his "freedom", he's usually already past his prime. I think the players ought to renegotiate this aspect of their Basic Agreement to give players more actual freedom. And teams would benefit by being able to sign top players without such great risk. Maybe they could make a provision that allows players to be free after their 3rd year, with only one year of franchise tagging allowed, and in return the original team could either accept a "buy out fee" of a percentage of the new contract, or be giving the option of retaining the player for some percentage (25%?) above his highest offer. But until NFL FA changes to allow players to become free sooner, it's not a good way to acquire players.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Doh! LOL I can't believe I forgot Peyton Manning! LOL I meant to go back and look up Hadl, but I forgot. I couldn't remember how good he was or wasn't. Yes, Brees was with the Chargers, but didn't really become great until he was with the Saints. Still, the Chargers recognized his talent and drafted him, and then of course, drafted Rivers on top of that.

It IS mindboggling that the team that had Namath, the QB who brought the NFL to its knees, would then fail to draft another great QB (at least potentially) almost another 6 decades. Of course, that is due to the clueless numbnuts who have owned the franchise since Werblin, and the clueless twits they've hired as GMs and HCs.

#144 NCJetsfan, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I fixed it for ya

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It sure what you’re disagreeing with?

I also think drafts are the most important factor, but I don’t think it’s the ONLY factor…

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

JD has been terrible at FA Cman.
    its unfortunate. Last season didn’t have to be that miserable, and it buried the QB who he swore to support.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't think JD will give up big picks for an older expensive DE due to 1 injury. If we do make a trade it's likely a depth guy for a very late pick (maybe a 6th or future 6th)

NCJetsfan and Cromartie's_kid like this.
  9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Why waste money for a pass rushes on a team which is going 6-11 regardless?

Jets69 likes this.
  10. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Why keep unspent $$, on 1 yr contract…. Johnson doesn’t need the $$. If it makes us even a little more competitive. To add A veteran stop gap. Then why not. We have absolutely no pass rush, and that will hurt the team too overall. We need to be competitive as possible and build on that. I really don’t see he point of having a lot of saved money, it will not help anyone except the johnsons wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ouchy and FJF like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. All bringing in a pass rusher for one year accomplishes is taking away snaps from young players who need those snaps to develop. You know from the start you aren't keeping the one-year stop gap player. You don't know about the young players. That's what this year is about...i.e., finding out about those young players, giving them the opportunity, working with them to develop them, and then seeing who is a keeper and who isn't. Some old DE who is only worth a 1-year deal is not going to improve the pass rush significantly, and even if we won one more game because of him, it's not worth it. One more game is not going to be the difference between establishing a winning culture, on making the team competitive. IMO it's just a panic-type move. It's about immediate gratification, because one is tired of all the losing, and is very short-sighted thinking. I understand being tired of losing, but we didn't get in such bad shape overnight, and we're not getting out of that shape overnight, either. It would also be short sighted to have to cut a young player with potential in order to create a roster spot for that older, one-year rental player.

I'm sure that if there's a young DE with potential, or maybe even an older DE who still has some gas in his tank and could possibly give us a couple of years, becomes available following cut-downs or cheaply via a trade, then JD and Saleh will consider it, and perhaps sign that player. I'd be fine with that, but I don't want to have to lose any young player at any position because we sign some older, mediocre player in some desperate attempt to create a pass rush.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  12. Sack exchange

I agree on giving youth a chance to play, but our pass rush is miserable, and the young guys are borderline NFL caliber! That’s all I am saying. What I disagree is the pipe dream that we have anyone on this roster now is anywhere near average at the position of edge. We need just to be honest with ourselves here, and take the fan glasses off. We need legit NFL edge pass rusher. It is key to this defense! I don’t think anyone wants to watch another 2 win season cause we are cheap! And have the money to spend and have opportunity to be better. Personally I don’t want to watch the opponents QB carve us up cause because he has forever in the pocket, exposing a young CB room. I have seen enough of that!!! Finally in 5 years I am excited to see this team play this year, and if we don’t make some kind of move to address this issue, it will be disappointing. Just a thought, who have we had at edge last few years, are they still in league? Are they starting in another team? I think we all know the answer to that.

I do think JD will do something, not sure what, but something. The Curry being out, hurts more that meets the eye. We are probably good if he were playing.

Here is good article on this very subject:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/08/28/worrisome-stat-ny-jets-preseason-finale/

#152 Sack exchange, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    FJF, SOJAZ and BacktoQueens like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

JD said last night they are scouring other teams rosters looking for a DE. It sounds certain we are going to sign another one.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Don't the unspent dollars carry over to next years cap?

Noam likes this.
  15. Sack exchange

You could well be right, but we have a ton available and a glaring need. We are young so not a lot of big contracts to be paid just yet.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is no good reason for a team to have multiple holes and unspent money 2 years in a row.

#156 ouchy, Aug 28, 2021
    Sack exchange and BacktoQueens like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow what a surprise and great news......the jets are finally looking at pass rushers.

2 weeks before the season opener. :rolleyes:

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

only the jets can do this. lets go for 3 in a row.

ouchy likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And only the Jet fans can continuously bitch when we don’t pick up some stiff that might be available immediately, but then complain at nausea that JD has been dreadful in free agency. We lost two pass rushers in less than one week for Peet’s sake. Of course that is JDs fault because he should have known better. Carl was a tremendous pick for us, and no we didn’t fucking over paid for him, like some think, but injuries happen. Period.

#159 LAJet, Aug 28, 2021
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

They do and that is one great thing about JD is that he values every dollar spent and loves to rollover money to the future to give us more flexibility and ammunition. His long term approach is a breath of fresh air.