Good Article On Jets Not Panicking About The Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Mar 25, 2021.

1. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

he was a free agent and signed with a new team. The Jets had the same opportunity to sign him as any other team and he played in the same building as the Jets last year. If Douglas didn’t get a chance to call him, that’s still his mistake.

We disagree on the wrs. Maybe Mims or Davis do something this year they’ve never done before.

mrjet80 likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There are still some guards that are unsigned, but as is the case with many FA's, there are injury, age, and talent issues with them. Just like we let Brick, Mangold, and Becton go through growing pains in their rookie years, the same could apply to Trey Smith, Wyatt Davis, or whichever guard that we might land in the draft.

boozer32, mrjet80 and barfolomew like this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think you're right although i wish we had a long term solution at center. there is a guy i forget his name that i think we could snag at 34 who i think could be the next nick mangold or at least our center for the next few years.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I think I remember seeing that Zeitler was released, and then just a couple of hours later that he was signed, and that was before the unofficial tampering period began. JD may been tied up in meetings regarding FA and didn't get a chance to call, or may have thought Zeitler was going to cost more than he did, or maybe just had no interest in him. I agree that it could be a mistake, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach, and give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If the OL isn't better, then I'll criticize him, but again, I understand you perspective.

We don't have to agree regarding the WRs. We'll see following the season who was better, this year's crop or 2009 or 2010.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Creed Humphrey is the best C in the draft. I'm not sure if he's really a fit. I respect KurttheJetFan's opinion a lot, and he doesn't think he's a great fit. I've read some in the media who don't think he's a fit, either, but some who do. I posted a picture of him in the draft forum in the OL thread. He looks FAT. I don't see how he could move well at that size. I think his strength is making protection calls, and his blocking is a notch below that, but could be wrong. If McGovern plays well this whole season, he could possibly even get extended.

I understand your wanting to get a long-term center. I'd like to see the OL fixed with all young players who can be here for the next 5-10 years, but that may not be realistic or even possible.

#45 NCJetsfan, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  6. chad2coles

Sherman and Verrett played 18 games combined with top level cb play. How many career starts do all the cbs on the Jets roster have? What is it that you think your point is that is supported by what I said? Who is starting for the Jets outside and at nickel? Is there a less proven group of cornerbacks in the NFL? Our best guy is a 5th round pick with 7 career average or worse starts, and I think he’ll be good.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How good the 49ers secondary was with a bunch of retreads and their top corner out for nearly three quarters of the season. Not to mention Sherman is ok but he's a shell of what he was.

18/32 games bub. They played most of the season with Verrett (retread with ability) and a bunch of nobodies.

It's a zone. It's not press man with no linebacker help underneath or safety help overtop. There are great zone corners. Maybe we have one? Maybe we don't. I'm fine with not bringing anyone in and it actually makes sense after seeing flashes of decent play out of Austin and Hall the past two years.

Our secondary got fucking abused where ever Ashtyn Davis and Pierre Desir were before Desir got cut.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I like that idea in your last paragraph - that would work out nicely long term for the Jets. As far as the secondary being much improved I don’t see it as of right now even with an improved pass rush. Maybe marginally better if the opposing QB is running for his life. That being said if the Jets were to add a Horn or a Newsome at #23 or #34 and assuming that player could be starting opening day - opposite Hall - yes you could be correct ...

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Desir was the Jets nominee for "Man of the Year" and he was playing for the Baltimore Ravens

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

2 words: Jaycee Horn :)

11. Jonathan_Vilma

That's my guy too. Unfortunately he solidified his likely top 15 status with a high 4.3's 40 time at his pro day. He was thought to run a 4.5 or worse and even with the pro day inflation he's still probably in the mid 4.4's.

If he falls I'd take him in a heartbeat.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. chad2coles

half of their starts were graded at top level cb play. The Jets don’t have anyone on the roster that’s done that before.

13. chad2coles

I think he’ll go before the 24th pick

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Neither did they before the season outside or Sherman who barely played. That's the point.

15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Good breakdown. Glad we have similar notions about the oline. Maybe there will be better centers next year. It's going to be a multi year project to build our oline.

ouchy likes this.
  16. chad2coles

Verrett has always shown top level play when healthy. Richard Sherman is one of the best cbs ever. You can’t compare the cbs on the Jets roster to what the 9ers had last year

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Speaking of OL, I’m betting my man Becton comes in slim and in top shape, a few pounds lighter and more muscle, like Q last year.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean has he? You remember Jason Verrett's performance from his last healthy season in 2015?

Whatever man. There's too much of this we need to fill every hole possible in free agency syndrome rather than looking at some of the guys that showed ability. We're not winning more than 6-7 games next year. A rebuild requires you to develop some young players and that could include taking some lumps and losses on those guys.

They're betting on youth at corner because they have a group full of guys that play hard and tackle well.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Sherman looks done. Saleh will know as well as anyone. If he thinks Sherman is worth it, he'll go for him.

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Mims has lot of potential and great size. Davis just missed the 1000 yard mark last year.......I imagine the Jets are gonna add another WR in the draft at some point .....I think the WR room is looking pretty good.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and LAJet like this.