Good Article On Jets Not Panicking About The Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Mar 25, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a reasonable take - the offseason needs to be viewed as a whole. If the plan is to grab a couple of good linemen in the draft, then all will seem much better going into training camp. I don't see any reason to complain about the sky falling yet.

barfolomew, azhar80, boozer32 and 3 others like this.
  2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets don't panic only media and posters.

3. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I am panicking!! And I am honest about it, I have not see a decent oline since the Rex Ryan era. It has been the main concern of this franchise for many many years and has never been fixed. That is why I am very sceptic that they will truly fix it this year.

Noam likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup....Tannenbaum, for all his faults, at least understood that a great OL and a strong running game would support a rookie QB. Shit, our OL was so good that we made Sanchez serviceable...

unfortunately, we replaced Tannenbaum with Idzik and then Mac, and they both ignored OL. So here we are.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's the guards who need to be upgraded. Becton, McGovern, and Fant were at least competent in 2020.

FJF, Lon Chaney, blackssmagic and 3 others like this.
  6. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

What bother me is that in the article they mention that the draft is loaded with guards and .. I don't see it, I like the top 2 or 3 but they all could be gone by the time the Jets select (past #2) and after that it's all longshot or projects. The free agent might not be rich in talent either but you know what you get! In the draft you have to wait for other teams to select or worse over draft a player in a panic move since the top available player are all taken which is not ideal and actually wrong.

People like to give shit to Darnold (for good reasons) but Offensive line was/is the biggest need in the offseason and it is far from being close to be fixed at the moment.

I am very worried to see another pathetic offense this year with maybe another QB and repeat the Darnold experience again.

#7 Kryoptix, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    azhar80 likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There are still some options available. I'm all for signing one and drafting one. I wish we got Cushenberry in round 3 last year.

Lon Chaney, barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’ve figured all along the Jets will be drafting OL very early. I’m going to say a guard either with #23 or #34 and a OT a little later.....preferably #34 if Horn is available at #23.

NYJetsO12, BudJet, barfolomew and 2 others like this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

As horrible as the Jets have been for decades they should panic. I bet if there was a steep decline in season ticket holder the panic front and center. The owners take for granted those 8 sold out games and television money.

KurtTheJetsFan, mrjet80 and patleahy like this.
  10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

No one went this year.

11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="boozer32, post: 4063116, member: 6826"]As horrible as the Jets have been for decades they should panic. I bet if there was a steep decline in season ticket holder the panic front and center. The owners take for granted those 8 sold out games and television money.[/QUOTE]

^^LOL you crack me up, Boozer32. Yeah much like life, it is all about balance.....you dont want to panic for no reason, BUT there is also a very serious problem if things are (and have been) going wrong for a LOOONG time and there is nobody who cares OR knows enough to "sound the alarm" , lol.

#12 patleahy, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The Jets don't panic.

They just lose

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Is anyone here a PFF insider/subscriber?

I remember Forrest Lamp as a great prospect when he was in the draft. Out of curiosity, I just googled "Forrest Lamp PFF. " A page opens on him and it has his offensive snaps played as 1,174 and ranks it first. Then on penalties if says 1 and tied for 67th, then sacks allowed 2 tied for 37th. How can that be. How can only committing 1 penalty have him tied for 67th. I find it hard to believe that 66 OGs in the NFL committed no penalties last year or that 36 OGs gave up fewer than 2 sacks. It has his overall 2020 player grade as a 49.4, but the pass blocking and run blocking grades are locked. I'm not all that familiar with PFF. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Unless you actually want them to ;)

NCJetsfan and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  15. boozer32

^^LOL you crack me up, Boozer32. Yeah much like life, it is all about balance.....you dont want to panic for no reason, BUT there is also a very serious problem if things are (and have been) going wrong for a LOOONG time and there is nobody who cares OR knows enough to "sound the alarm" , lol.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm fed up with being bad. Its embarrassing when people ask who's your team. Then you get the sorry to hear that. There are worst franchises but they seem to regroup faster than the Jets. But new management always brings hope. I hope Saleh and Douglas can fix it. I knew Gase would never

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. Think we’ll see at least one guard selected on day 2. Could see the other guard spot being a competition between Clarke,VR & Feeney slightly slanted to Clarke if hes functional.If its still an issue they’ll revisit in 22.

3 guys for me are Creed Humphrey(Not a perfect scheme fit) Trey Smith & Leatherwood kicking inside

17. boozer32

Still got TV money.

hornblower likes this.
  18. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think guard and center, not guard and tackle

19. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

What are the chances the Jets have to pass on the best player available several times because they went into the draft without using their $70M+ in cap space to upgrade 2 of their weakest position groups - secondary and o-line? Crowder is getting paid more than Fuller or Juju while how many teams have upgraded their defensive backfield? There's still around $20M in cap space before draft picks. What is the money being saved for??

Successfully building through the draft means taking the best player available. If Douglas does that, we are likely to go into next season with a secondary and/or offensive line that the rest of the team won't be able to overcome.

I also don't believe Douglas was willing to give Thuney, or anyone else a big contract. He's not willing to sign anyone to a contract that could be considered a mistake until he's closer to the end of his contract. His mistakes will be contracts he didn't sign like Conklin, Zeitler, and the slew of defensive backs he's passed on and the Jets will pay for cap flexibility with a lack of talent.