The O-line after day 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GeshJet, Mar 16, 2021.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

None of Fants remaining contract is guaranteed , and only $4.45M of 2021 becomes guaranteed on March 21st

2. TonyFtLaud

Sorry, didn't see your post before I posted essentially the same thing

chad2coles likes this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call $2 mil almost none ($4.45M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/21/2021) but I was wrong when I said most of it..

4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I think when you see Germain ifedi getting over 5mill. We'll be keeping Fant around, even as a rotation piece.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

James Hasty likes this.
  5. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

My thinking is at 23 or 34, you can get the best or near-best guard that is very likely tom be an immediate solid upgrade, & is cap-cheap.. Need at least one of those right now apart from free agency.

Lon Chaney and Fiftynine like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It seems the market has stagnated a little bit so I think this is when JD will start to make some more moves. I could see him going with a solid vet in FA, maybe take a shot that Trai Turner can turn it around and get back to form?, and draft 1-2 IOL's in the first few picks. He seems to value the trenches and would be fine with allocating those premium picks there.

I think a line of Becton, AVT (23rd)/Wyatt Davis (34), McGovern, Turner/FA Vet/Rookie, and Fant would be an upgrade. It still wouldn't be a top 10 unit but they wouldn't be bottom 10 anymore and should give whoever we have at QB adequate protection.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think the markets for the mid level players have developed much yet, might not even happen till the end of the week.

But I'll keep clicking refresh just to make sure.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

I was really hoping the Jets would bring back Elflein. He was very good down the stretch last season. The Jets now have gaping holes at both guard spots going into this upcoming season. Becton, McGovern and Fant is a good enough start though, a lot of teams have a lot worse at the tackle and center spots.

9. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

$27.3m contract w $2m cap hit if cut before the 21st.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While that's a great idea for the future, it likely won't help whomever is our QB this season very much. Hopefully, we'll have regular mini-camp, OTAs, TC and preseason games this year. The thing is, the Jets' present OL depth is pretty awful. The Jets could do what you suggest (draft several OL in this draft) AND have signed a Zeitler or Gabe Jackson, and given the youngsters a year or two to watch and learn from great OL, then takeover. I'm sure that was probably part of JD's plan with Thuney. Unfortunately, that didn't work out through no fault of JD. Now we'll still have a shaky starting OL and the same crappy depth, and it will take another year or two to finish building the OL. I hope that JD will be able to get the OL he wants in this draft, that Clark will be able to win one of the starting OG jobs and play well, and that our new QB is mobile, elusive, and gets the ball out quickly.

I'd love to see JD draft a starting-caliber OG and our future starting RT. If Becton goes down with injury again this season, Fant could move to LT and the rookie step in at RT. I never want to see Edoga or Connor McDermott on the field again.

#30 NCJetsfan, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Yankjetfan and Frenbar like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

As long as teams can have their regular mini-camps, OTAs, training camp and preseason games, I think the OL should be much better this year regardless of whom is starting. I hope that Clark can win one of the starting jobs and play well. Hopefully, McGovern stays healthy, and if Feeney has to play, it's at OG, not C.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Let's hope Clark remembers how to actually play football first.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

They can not spend both #23 and #34 on IOL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

More a matter of staying healthy.
    He missed the first half but practiced the second half. Lots of first team reps too.
    Changing positions, no off season, small school. Was never expected to play last year but came pretty close.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hope they do. Something tells me that it'll be a combination of OLB, EDGE and corner for those 2 picks.

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with a G with one of those picks. I feel using 2 picks that high on interior line is wasting capital. Jets need explosive playmakers on both sides of the ball.

If Jaycee Horn available at 23, it would seem ridiculous to pass on him for a guard no?

REVISion, abyzmul and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That's good to hear, I thought he had been injured for most of it, so good to know he got some 1st team reps in after all.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I don't think they will. If JD doesn't take Toney at #23, then he should take a RT like Teven Jenkins if he's still there. Then at #34 take one of the two UGA CBs, Tyson Campbell or Eric Stokes. He can probably get an OG in the 3rd or 4th round. Alternatively, he could take Jaycee Horn at #23, then take an OG at #34, perhaps Alijah Vera-Tucker or Wyatt Davis, if one is still there, and then look to grab a RT in the 3rd round.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Doubt he falls unless he shits himself during his 40 and runs a 4.7 or something ridiculous. He's a bully of a corner within the confines of the soft rules for receivers.

I'd be good with OL-OL but I'd imagine one needs to be an attempt at a bookend right tackle. Either way, if we had three offensive starters under 24 we could be making something special. The Cowboys have had a lot of god awful defenses over the past decade but they're usually in the playoff hunt because of their ability to protect + run.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I agree, but OTOH, protecting whomever our QB is has to be priority #1. That's why I really wanted to get a solid starter at OG in FA, so we wouldn't be forced to take an OG high in the draft. Passing on Kadarius Toney would be equally bad imo.

Lon Chaney likes this.