The O-line after day 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GeshJet, Mar 16, 2021.

1. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Let’s discuss the o-line after day 1. I think the line improved near the end of the year & I think Fant is solid. So, both tackles & the center are set. Edoga & even McDemott are acceptable as backups. It’s a real shame we didn’t try Cameron Clark at guard last year (terrible coaching not to, IMO), so I suppose he remains a possibility.

I don’t like Van Roten & there is something weird going on with Lewis, who I don’t lie anyway. Elflein is gone. It seems to me the plan should be to draft a guard high, maybe at 23, & to signing another. But maybe not right away as the best options seem to be gone on day 1. There should be a lot of starters being cut yet. Lots of teams have terrible cap problems. I’m guessing we can get a starting guard from those cuts.

What are the other good options? Maybe we still sign a guard today?

All Gas No Shake, twown and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post, but I disagree regarding Edoga. He's young and cheap, and maybe the CS thinks they can coach him up and make him better, but I think he's pretty awful. I think we need a better swing tackle for depth especially since Becton was nicked up this past season. I expect that the Jets will sign at least 2 OL in FA within the next couple of days for depth and competition, if nothing else.

boozer32 and Noam like this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Elflein could have potentially started for us this year if we brought him back.

We have two gaping holes on our offensive line and little in the way of depth.

While we should draft OL fairly early in the draft we would be wise to add a free agent for one of our starting spots.

Jets81, BacktoQueens and roboz08 like this.
  4. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Did you see what he got paid? and for how avg he was I would of passed as well we can find better when cuts happen or in the draft we have a ton of picks. I will cont to trust JD process esp since what he has said since day 1 is how he operates and he knows the value of the OL being one

5. James Hasty

Oh he got overpaid alright.

My point was that if we added one quality starter he could have been the duct tape holding the line together this year.

Now we need two bodies.

BacktoQueens, ouchy and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And in reality if we want a genuine top offense we'll need at least 3 new quality linemen. Serviceable lines create serviceable offenses. Great lines create great offenses. Buts its early in the rebuild...

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  7. James Hasty

Becton and McGovern are studs.

Fant is a decent player with a good contract.

If we want to move on from Fant we would want to trade him as most of his salary is guaranteed.

Our guards are hot garbage, all of them.

KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  8. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

What's the reasoning behind spending a high draft pick (or picks) on a Guard? I can see the need to do so for a tackle or center, but why guard? Is that due to the system we'll run or is it good practice in general? The top two guards to be signed yesterday were drafted in what the 3rd and 5th rounds of their respective drafts?

Honest question. While I've watched football for decades, I've never played anything more organized than at the Flag or Drunk levels.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

As much as I want to call McGovern a stud, I can't.

10. James Hasty

If you remember Alan Faneca this should not be a hard question to answer.

Once we get to round two a top flight guard or center would help us in a big way.

Royal Tee, Fiftynine and jilozzo like this.
  11. James Hasty

Down the stretch when we slightly increased our horrible guard play he was PFFs top rated center.

Footballgod214, K'OB and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  12. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

It sucks about Thuney. However he went to a place that really needs him as much as we do, and they can win now. Just couldn't compete unless we wanted to pay him incredibly well.

Still have the feeling that we will go for one guard that we as fans will know. One guard that can fit the scheme and just be a plug and do ok guy and then one that will come in the draft.

We have a potential star at LT
    Very solid C
    Serviceable RT.

Just need to sure up the inside to solidify this Oline now.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Seems that the Jets are waiting for the draft to pick up offensive lineman. They must see some quality out there. Third round is usually where you find them. Don't they have 3 picks there?

14. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I'm sure JD will go scorched earth to find pieces for our OL. Plus, we need a healthy Becton for 16 games.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think we will see a huge improvement this season, for one he won't have a revolving door next to him for starters, thanks Roten you truly were.

16. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

this year we have two in the 3rd round our own and Sea from trade as of rn

hornblower likes this.
  17. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Thuney get crazy money from KC. The bottom line is your going to overpay on OL during FA. Our best shot is to take a Slater who should be available if we move down with Atlanta. I know Douglas is not going to overpay and the price of OL is just crazy. I also agree that edoga could be coached he is still young.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We've gotten our edge and receiver. I imagine we'll sign a mid tier corner and another linebacker.

Don't be shocked if we go offensive line twice in the first four picks, maybe even at both 23-34. There's tons of value there and should be 2-3 good tackles for the taking and a couple good guards.

I really like all three Notre Dame players - Eichenberg is a nasty player at tackle, Hainsey and Banks at guard. If you watched ND this year at all they moved bodies and always controlled the LOS. Eichenberg is probably the only guy to really consider at either pick.

Leatherwood is another tackle tailor-made to play right tackle. Davis and Myers from OSU should be good interior players.

It's a great draft to need offensive lineman.

#18 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  19. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'd much rather spend a few draft picks shoring up the OL than overpaying in FA. More than any other position, the offensive line is a unit that gets better as they learn and play together. Drafting multiple linemen this year would give us a core group of young linemen with the potential to be here learning and blocking as a unit for many years to come.

20. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

almost none of his salary is guaranteed.

TonyFtLaud likes this.