QBs drafted in top 3 2015-2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jan 29, 2021.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i'll add two more cents. :)

it may also be due to the rest of the NFL figuring out these QBs and their biggest strengths and taking those away, and either the player or the team fails to grow or respond. Some of these guys were all pro. Goff looked like the real deal for a while, same too for Wentz.

I agree with your point about innate sense. The great ones are usually as great or greater for their mind than their arm. they always seem to be a step ahead of the defense

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

So the reason the 1-31 Browns of only 4-5 years ago aren't clutching at the Lombardi is Mayfield?

I'd argue the inverse in that Mayfields character has allowed that team to become a playoff contender. From what I recall one of the reasons they ranked him above Darnold is that after years of futility they need a competitor who'd bring some fire and energy into the place. Mayfield on the Jets wouldn't make us winners but Darnold with his more 'laid back' approachon the Browns wouldn't have got them not only to the playoffs but also breaking a hex in beating Pittsburgh when they got there and running the Chiefs closer then most teams (allowing for the fact Mahomes was knocked out late).

Maybe in some bizarro universe where they had the Jags pick or Mahomes was demanding a trade and his agents were dropping hints about how much he loves Northern Ohio they might be looking to make a switch but in reality I think their focus will be pretty much about improving their secondary (outside Ward) and maybe adding a new RG or DE depending on value.

REVISion likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Baker isn't elite, and he'll almost certainly never be elite, but he is a franchise QB, and he's better than Goff.

NCJetsfan and Gremlin like this.
  4. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Mayfield supporters are delusional. Is he better than Darnold? Sure. Is he anything special? Hell no. He is an average QB. 3500 yards in 16 starts is not franchise level stuff in 2020.

Goff, Wentz, and Mayfield are acceptable QBs on a rookie deal, but not worth paying big money. Darnold, Winston, and Mariota were just busts.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. JetFan20

He’s not a franchise QB. Paying him big money would be a mistake. You can get the same production at 1/4 of the cost from Andy Dalton.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

If Sam had half of the games stat-wise and shown himself to be half as good as qb as Mayfield,we would not need to draft a qb at 2

blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Another thing that ruins these highly drafted QBs is that, when they don't win out of the gate, teams hire new coaches to try and salvage the their new prize QB... You get young QBs on their third system by the time their rookie contract is up.

Look at the legendary QBs in the history of this league, they mastered one system before they were asked to pick up a new one.

blackssmagic likes this.
  8. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Exactly why we must trade for Watson, these opportunities never come up, he is a sure thing,
    instead of playing the roulette wheel called the draft....

9. Gremlin

Given what came before him he is the Browns FQB but no he's not league wide elite.

What he is is a QB who came onto a heavily losing franchise, started year 1 on the bench and then had to deal with the whole Hue/Haley situation and a second year under Kitchens whilst still putting up decent numbers before having a pretty good year just gone.

He may not take that next step forwards into the HOF category but they can win with Baker and they'll take that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they liked baker because he had a longer resume.

the browns had a lot of early picks for being so bad. they drafted myles garett over a QB then followed up baker with ward and chubb. they got 3 pro bowlers out of those 4 picks and baker was the only one who wasnt. they have a good team. any decent QB would win there. baker isn't bad. I never said he'd be bad. I said to win he'd need a good system for him and good talent around him and he's got that and doing what I expected. he's not a star or a QB who carries a team though. they are a run 1st team which helps baker out a lot with the combo of chubb and hunt. plus OBj and landry at WR. Njoku at TE. good o-line and good defense. If the browns pulled a trade for stafford they would be SB contenders. baker's NFL equivalent right now is probably goff. but goff is a little better.

I'd give the edge to goff but the 2 are very similar. and the rams just moved on from goff.

11. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

But why should we trust their judgement now? They loved Goff enough as a prospect to offer a multiple premium picks to get him. They loved his early progression enough that after a few years they offered to extend him with a mega contract.

Personally, I don't dump a QB with Goff's age and early success unless I'm getting a clear upgrade like you'd get with Watson. That's a guy that can carry a team when Donald is injured and the defense is getting shredded.

Tire fire around Watson this past season and he produced game in, game out. Stafford has never done that. A few games? Yes. Half a season like in 2016 and 2019? Yep, but never an entire season. For all the talk of how Stafford has been surrounded by a terrible team, and he has, how many shootout games do you remember the Lions playing in?

The rare arm talent Stafford possesses blinds you from realizing he's never lived up to expectations. His Lions career ended up being much like his time in college. Almost, but always a step or two away.

12. GasedAndConfused

not sure how you can blame stafford for anything. watson just went 54-12 as well. you are really underrating stafford while overrating goff.

13. Gremlin

Let's run this back a whole decade to the Cam Newton Draft and look at all the Round 1 QB's. The only three that netted their drafting team a return when they were done were Tannehill (6th Round), Gabbert (6th Round) and Rosen (2nd Round & next year a 5th).

Yet we think we can get a first rounder for Sam or even a comparable package for Rosen who had more years of cost control and less negative tape?

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where I'm just going to flat out refuse to engage with Darnold truthers. It's dragging the quality of conversation on the board down. We should be focusing on topics that have valid points on either side, not trying to convince the remaining 1% of our fanbase that Darnold should be retained or is worth a 1st round pick.

Could a team do something catastrophically dumb and trade a 1st for him? Sure. But let's put to bed this notion that he's actually worth one or that there's any kind of precedent for it.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

It was super-genius Sean McVay himself that pounded the table for Goff to get extended two years ago. Of course now the Rams are leaking that Goff is stupid, lazy and pretty much worthless. Funny how that works.

Stafford? Love the moxie, the arm talent, the professionalism. He still played like ass in many games stretched over many seasons. 2012, mid-end 2013, 2014 and 2018.

16. GasedAndConfused

if stafford played like ass i guess so has every QB in the past few years maybe less mahomes

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Browns were 4th in the league in rushing attempts and 28th in passing attempts while also ranking 3rd in rushing yards. Of course his passing yard statistics aren't as inflated. Not to mention the Browns played two games (three really if you count the Eagles game) this year in disastrous conditions where neither team passed the ball efficiently and passers on both teams were well below their season averages.

Passing yards are an extremely poor metric to measure effectiveness especially without context.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  18. JetFan20

Let’s agree to disagree. I don’t think he is good. The browns don’t feature him, they hide him.

19. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

While teams like Browns, Jets, Bills , etc had no interest in Mahomes, Kansas City (Andy Reid) and New Orleans (Sean Payton) were salivating. Payton said the best college QB he ever evaluated. KC's GM said the player was "generational" BEFORE the 2017 draft! Andy Reid brought Mahomes in and put him on the whiteboard and he destroyed Watson and Trubisky there too.

I just think different NFL teams have totally different ways they evaluate these QB's.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. DisgruntledLionFan

Payton also said the if both Mahomes and Lattimore were still on the board, then the Saints would have still taken Lattimore. You don't pass on the best QB prospect ever when you're current QB is 40 years old, expensive and your team is mired in cap Hell.

I think Payton is full of shit.