Boomer Esiason suggesting Cowher as the Jets next HC.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think this will end up being a lot of talk for nothing but if Cowher says yes and JD is on board then yes 100% yes. You certainly take the chance that Cowher can and will adapt to today’s NFL.

At worst he restores respectability and gets the organization back on track before he walks away again.

Douglas, Cowher and Lawrence would very likely be the best GM, HC, QB combo the Jets have had, certainly in my lifetime.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Sorry for bringing up that repressed memory.

Jets79 and JetsKickAss like this.
  3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Too soon:D

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I’d take Cowher in a heartbeat

1) we need a leader of the org. Idc what decade he coached in, he is that.

2) let’s not act like he’s been removed from the game for 14 years. He’s been incredibly close to the game since he last coached. Similar to gruden. He knows what the league is about.

that’s all.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He had a mixed record with the most patient owner in the NFL. He's a defensive guy.....his OC will be leaving in 2-3 years if we draft Trevor (or Fields) and he zooms into the Top 5 QB's.

With a Top QB an OC leaving isn't the same thing as when you have a developing QB -- but it's still not something I want to go through with Trevor, Fields, or even Sam.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is a great point, if I remember correctly Bruce Arians was his OC when Ben was drafted and it was Bruce who helped Ben develop into a FQB.

I know the likelihood of Lawrence becoming a jet is still not a sure thing but if he does, there are not many Bruce Arians left in the NFL that Cowher can hire. While I like the idea of Cowher being Jets HC, he had an all pro staff when he started as Steelers HC.

My other concern is his age, 63 years old doesn’t give him a lot of time to be a HC, before he decides to retire. He had a good career it’s time for Jets to bring someone in who is younger and has the time and energy the team and game require.

#127 Red Menace, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why not bring back Parcells if we're taking the old famous coach route..

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Quitter

10. NCJetsfan

Seriously? Go back and re-think that, and remember how he went in a shell when Vinny got hurt for about 8 games and cost the Jets the playoffs. Remember it was he who called the half-back option pass in Detroit that kept us out of the playoffs. Remember how he forgot what down it was or what the score was in a game. He'd want complete control, and I don't want that dumbass anywhere near shopping for the groceries again. He'd screw us out of Lawrence just like he did P. Manning. Fuck Parcells.

Besides, it's not just about hiring an old famous coach.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think he was being sarcastic.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I sure hope so! I was beginning to wonder if he had suffered a stroke, or if all of these years of rooting for the Jets had finally gotten to him and he had lost his mind. :p:D

JetsKickAss likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I see a totally different scenario. He needs to bring in a hot OC in the making and groom him to take over the team in three years. Sort of what BB is doing with his young OC.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like Cowher but he's been off the sidelines for a long time. He's making a lot of loot why would he take on this headache and ruin his reputation. 10 years ago this might have worked. He walked away from a SB caliber team with a still to this day franchise QB and the best fans in football and one of the oldest most stabled owners in all of sports., I realized some people are adrenalin junkies and need that action but the Jets are the polar opposite. Stepchildren to the Giants in fans, media, and also long time old school owners.

15. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am gonna get ran off this board but I really think we need to look at Mike Leach and Rex Ryan as Co-head coaches. While it might turn into a shit salad we will definitely score points and have a legit defense....

Footballgod214 and JetsKickAss like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Really? Like the "Co-Head Coaches" for Offense and Defense worked so well this time? And how the "equal level status" of the GM and HC has worked so well? And not to mention that Rex Ryan sucks as a HC?

Aside from all that, great idea!:rolleyes:

blackssmagic and Ralebird like this.
  17. JetsKickAss

His passing on Orlando Pace -- he was moaning about the salary cap and the draft picks sent to New England EVERY F****** day to Myers, Serby, and Canizzaro -- still bugs me.

We had the #1 overall pick AGAIN and basically got nothing for it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. JetsKickAss

I would be OK with Rex as DC to take the publicity pressure off any new hire as HC. Rex could talk D with the media and our new QB (?) could be relatively anonymous with our new HC.

I could see Rex doing it only for Woody. Rex never thought he would be a HC (because of his father, dumb reason IMO) and is forever grateful to Woody for giving him his 1st job. And that job led to a 5-year Golden Parachute for 2 years of work in Buffalo ! :D

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mixed record? He was under .500 three times in 15 years. He was an excellent coach. They struggled in the playoffs until they got and developed a franchise quarterback.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

your correct on everything....my point was not having either one as the overall head coach. each one would be responsible for their respective side of the ball.....Mike Leach always has dog shit for a defense but his teams score a boatload of points....Rex sucked as a head coach and his offenses were trash other than the ground and pound for 2 years but his defenses played pretty damn good.

I would pay both of them the same, as far as titles they can pick whatever they want I could care less honestly...I just want a strong offensive mind and a strong defensive mind for once