Boomer Esiason suggesting Cowher as the Jets next HC.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He is a good leader but is too much reliant on ground and pound..I don't know if he is the right fit, but I read his wife is a huge Jets fan and it keeps him close to family

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah man. Judge is honestly just going to be another reprieve of Coughlin.

He was the guy no one wanted and wasn't a flashy hire but he must be a good football coach. They also very well could have beaten the Buccaneers (and frankly got robbed on a no-call pass interference), Eagle (one point game) and Cowboys (three point game).

That's the kind of dude the Jets need. Don't be enamored by the headline hire. Hire a sound guy who will establish accountability and culture here.

Mogriffjr and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Who’s he bringing on as oc? This next coach has to be the right pick for Lawrence. His staff needs to be a lot more modern then he is .

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would worry that a Cowher hire would be more about meeting the Johnson's desire to sign a big name than making a sound football decision.

I will acknowledge that I was wrong about Gruden going to the Raiders but while I prefer the ground and pound style of football I think the NFL style of play is moving in the opposite direction. Almost all successful teams absent Tennessee are successful because they score points throwing the ball. I do not see a ball control strong defensive Rex like philosophy working especially when we are drafting a generational QB prospect. Although, such a philosophy might be the best way to develop a young QB the first two or three years.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is why I'm all for Campbell. He wouldn't be a flashy hire because he's not a defensive genius or offensive guru, but he's built two college programs to respectability. He might not be available though.

Noam likes this.
  6. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I really don't have an opinion on Cowher being the new HC, he was coaching before I really started to watch NFL so don't know much about him.
    But as far as OC is concerned, if we get to draft Lawrence, I think we should consider hiring Clemson's OC as our OC to give familiarity to Lawrence so he could hit the ground running. Or at least try to hire him as QB coach for the same reason.

Brook! likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

I view that as the complete opposite. He would be a flashy hire because he's a hot name from the coaching ranks who is having his best season as a college coach.

Campbell did build up Iowa State. But he hardly built Toledo. They were 16-9 in two seasons before he took over and went to back to back bowl games and actually had one of their best seasons ever a year after he left.

His players seem to love him but meh I'm a little bit skeptical still. They lost 4/6 of their games last year by one score.

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Add Joe Gibbs to that list of failures after a long hiatus. No way do I want Cowher and no way is he the guy to develop the next QB.

9. Id wanna have a conversation w him about how hed adapt his philosophies to the modern NFL & who he would bring in as coordinators.He would bring instant credibility,toughness & think he/Douglas would mesh well.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I still don't think the personality of players is anywhere near the same now as it was in 2006 and throughout the 1990s when he was coaching.

If he coaches slightly more recently I'd be all in on it. 14 years is too long. This feels like it'd be a tabloid move the Jets always make though.

11. CotcheryFan

I view the hot names as Bieniemy, Brady, Saleh, Smith, and Riley. Coordinators who are getting hype and the college guy who could make the jump, but hasn't so far. Maybe I'm biased, but I haven't heard Campbell get mentioned much this year as a HC candidate in the NFL. If Toledo wasn't his work, then I stand corrected there. Still think he should be considered as he's the CEO type HC the team needs.

Noam likes this.
  12. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

In his defense, that was the game of the 90s and 2000s. The running game was just as important, and in fact slightly more important, than the passing game up until the past decade or so. Bill Cowher used ground and pound because it worked. When you have guys like Barry Foster, Bam Morris, The Bus, and Willie Parker, it's not exactly a bad strategy. The game is starting to move back that way as well; RBs are returning to prominence, and even FBs are starting to reemerge. Again, I think Cowher's been out of the game too long to coach, but I wouldn't mind him being part of the front office for the Jets. He's an excellent talent evaluator.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Big Ben Under Bill

https://www.nfl.com/players/ben-roethlisberger/stats/career

2007 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 404 264 65.35 3154 7.8 83 32 11 168 41.58 39 47 347 104.1
    2006 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 469 280 59.7 3513 7.5 67 18 23 178 37.95 42 46 280 75.4
    2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 12 268 168 62.69 2385 8.9 85 17 9 111 41.42 35 23 129 98.6
    2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 295 196 66.44 2621 8.9 58 17 11 130 44.07 43 30 213 98.1

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Just as it looks like we’re getting Trevor it’s intriguing now, fucking lol

I saw someone rip Cowher for being a ground and pound coach before, who the hell were his QB’s aside from Ben as a rookie? Tommy Maddox, Slash and the immortal Neil O’Donnell? Christ those guys make post-Parcells Vinny look All-Pro

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When Rex was fired an analyst asked Cowher if he was interested in coaching the Jets and he just laughed.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

How about Dick Vermeil, he did ok.

24McNeil and hornblower like this.
  17. CotcheryFan

2007 was under Tomlin.

18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Was Joe Gibbs really a ‘failure’ second time around? He obviously wasn’t going to live up to the 1.0 standard but he had one playoff appearance and two winning seasons in four years for an owner who hasn’t done jackshit in two decades.

19. X’s & O’s on offense get extremely overrated by fans & media. Nobody is winning w exotic ground breaking play calls or w advanced schemes that opponents cant decipher.

For Bill its more philisophical.Does he understand that its now a scoring league & you cant win solely w tough guys on Defense & in running game anymore? Will he prioritize an aggressive passing attack? What type of coorinator will he target? It’d be in his best interest to target someone new school be it from Colllege or an ascending assistant. He’ll have the name power to attract a decent talent pool.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d take Cowher in a nano second. He’s been involved in the game since he stepped off the sideline. Not exactly like a Gibbs situation who was far removed from the game since he wasn’t coaching anymore.

Obviously a conversation would need to happen to see how he would adapt to today’s NFL but assuming that went well I couldn’t understand how any Jets fan would not want Cowher.

Still highly doubt it would happen.