Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

I mean he's not lighting it up, and it's possible and highly likely he didn't beat out his competition. Gase has previously state he doesnt touch the defense. If Williams wanted him, I'm he could have kept him.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you mean anonymously complaining about the coaching to reporters? very productive and admirable I am sure

3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Yes you may well be right, but there is a real pattern with Gase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sack exchange

Adams and mcdougald did, and they didn’t come out of it shiny.

5. Sack exchange

Good read!

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is what I have to go by: https://www.radio.com/sports/nfl/trevor-lawrence-confirms-this-season-is-his-last-at-clemson . Also during the last game they quoted something he said recently to the regards or reflecting on what "more than likely" be his last season. Now, is this 100% guarantee? Not until he officially declares, but so far it looks "more than likely" that he will. And if he does, like I explained before, he will go to whichever team has #1 pick, which more than likely will be pathetic, no matter which team it is, as that's the definition of the #1 pick, go to the WORST/pathetic team. Eli is the only example that didn't and even he put the Chargers cap on like nothing happened when he was just drafted and was only traded later because similar talent was there.

As far as not needing a star QB, Jets were a big odds underdog in AFC finals runs years with Rex and never made SB. Maybe with actual star QB they would. Manning and Big Ben went to SB these years. Breese and Rogers won SB. You've just proven the point a few of us were making all along on WHY we need a guy like Lawrence.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

We don't need a guy like Lawrence, lol. That team with Sanchez, many were arguing here that the team carried Sanchez, not the other way around. Mark was so-so that entire season. If Darnold was on that team, I really believe he would have taken them further, based on the players around him and the coaching. That's my belief. Of course, we'll never know. 99.9% of the posters here believe that Gase ruined Sam. I believe that. Would Rex have done the same? I don't think so.

I too hope that Trevor will take whatever is handed to him. But, if Gase is still the coach, he'd would be crazy to

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I liked Rex too, but that team with Sanchez lost to teams that had a QB like Lawrence, who then in SB lost to other QBs like Lawrence. And this is your own example. Open up your mind a little bit to my argument and look at who is winning SBs. If you want to occasionally make play-offs, even have a few play-off wins here and there, like what Rex did, that's fine. If you want to contend annually, you need a star QB. There are some examples when just a good QB, who steps up and plays great in play-offs wins, but having a guys like Payton Manning, Rogers, Big Ben, Wilson, or Brady sure helps A LOT.

Lawrence is considered can't miss Manning like prospect. Sam never was regarded as highly, and didn't exactly raise his stock - quite the opposite. For all the talk about lack of WR talent he had, look at Anderson now - #2 overall receiver in NFL playing with just OK QB. Let's get that Manning like prospect on the team, and perhaps fortunes of this franchise can turn.

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have yearned for the Jets to get a true superstar QB ever since Namath left. They had a great chance to take Marino and instead took Ken O'Brien, a very good, but not HOF, QB. Ever since Namath in fact it seems like they've adopted the mentality of "Well, they'll never be another Joe Namath, so why try?" I DESPERATELY wanted them to take Mahomes (or at least Watson), and instead Maccagnan took a SAFETY! So, it is not that I don't want a great QB, but that I don't believe the Jets value great QBs and they refuse to give them the coaching and talent they need to achieve their potential. The list of QBs gone to the Jets and fail is depressing.

And it seems like the Jets have cultivated a fan base that actually believes that QBs aren't valuable. When Mahomes and Watson were there for the taking it seemed the majority of posters here, as well as the "expert" pundits were all in agreement that Jamal Adams was the right pick. How is that even possible for people who call themselves "knowledgeable" football fans? THE MOST IMPORTANT position on a team is QB. Perhaps one of the least (noting that ALL positions are important) is Safety, and yet most fans here were tickled to have the Jets spend their premium pick on a Safety, which then had the multiplying impact of having to spend their #1 and THREE #2s the next year for a QB! Not only did they get a QB with less talent, they lost the ability to add 4 premium players to the roster. And yet, fans here were giddy that they took a Safety instead of a QB!

And now all these "experts" come out of the woodwork declaring that drafting Lawrence will save the Jets! Excuse me for not jumping on that bandwagon. Maybe, MAYBE, Lawrence is as good as Mahomes, but from what I've seen so far, I don't think he is. That said, I haven't seen enough of him to make up my mind. But even if he is that good, do you really think that Mahomes, given the same circumstances as Darnold, would be anywhere near what he is in KC? And when I say that, I'll remind any long time posters here to recall that I've often said that while Mahomes would not have done as well here, he would certainly be better than anyone, including Darnold, the Jets have ever had. So why would I not want the Jets to take Lawrence? Because A) He would never become the QB he could be, and B) the Jets could use all the capital they get for trading that pick to actually improve the team, and C) as long as Gase is the HC, no QB could succeed here.

If the Jets fire Gase, and focus on acquiring offensive talent first, then I'll consider changing my belief that they've finally dropped the "Defense wins championships" that has driven their operation for decades. But so far I haven't seen that evidence.

10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Gase's approval rating on this site is now up to 44%. I'm sure this number is inflated (up from 10% or so last week) by people who think Gase gives the team the best chance to get the No. 1 pick in the draft. However, think of it this way. Idiot Chris Johnson will hear about it, and he'll use it as his rationale for giving Gase another year. Can't you hear him? "Gee, I can't fire him because the fans love him." Nothing is too stupid or absurd for this trust-fund twit. How many generations of in-breeding do you figure it took to produce Chris and Woody?

11. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

but doesn't that come down to coaching as well, the routes ran and the plays called?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Sack exchange

I am with 100%. Lawrence doesn’t fix much, unless we give him NFL receivers and a coach that is going to facilitate success for him. If indeed we have chance we probably take him but we better have a plan! Otherwise a redux of Darnold. If not we should stick with Darnold and put weapons around him. On the history of GREAT jet QBs, we have had 1, and that is Namath. Had chance with drafting Marino, Farve (here one yr), Mahomes, and Manning stayed in college. Pennington, Todd, O’Brien, Testeverde, were all good at times, but not true stars!

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

But what does that say about somebody who actually believes something so stupid or absurd can be reasonably not too stupid or absurd for someone else to believe?

you can’t argue it’s stupid or absurd but that it’s reasonable for you to believe someone else would believe it despite its stupidity or absurdity. Believing that would be equally stupid and absurd.

14. BomberJet

I won't argue the case that Lawrence is better than Sam. We know he is. My argument would be that if somehow the Jets blow it getting the #1, stick with Sam and build around him. The rumors about trading him to the Cowboys , what a mistake that would be without knowing they have a backup plan. Once Gase is out Sam's issues can be fixed, imo.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is so off base. The Sanchez Jets teams had a top running game and top defense. Our defense and running games are not good right now. So we either totally revamp both of them or draft Lawrence. Which do you think is easier to do?

A really good QB makes up for a LOT of other shortcomings.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Why do you want to stick with Sam so badly? He's been below league average in basically every relevant QB stat over the course of his career. Even if we surround him with talent and a better coach his ceiling is probably league average QB. Those are not the guys who carry you to a Super Bowl unless you also have a stellar defense and running game.

17. BomberJet

What is off base? That Sanchez had a good team to support him and that Darnold hasn't? It sounds like we are making the same point.

Yes I agree that good QB makes up for a LOT of short comings, BUT, if you think Trevor would have made a difference with this present team and sorry ass coaching, I have a bridge for you to buy, lol. Now, that is being off base.

18. Sack exchange

My reason would be, he has untapped potential and I think Gase is our poo . I don’t think he could bring best out of him or anyone. So I think Darnold may be able to have success, with a good QB coach and OC. Hopefully a chance will come, with or without the Jets.

19. Sack exchange

No way to know Lawrence better than Darnold... Hype is hype! There have been many duds for #1 pick QBs. So scouts can say so, but does not make it reality. Good chance he is, but not sure. Lawrence with Gase would look like shitshow! So there is more to it, we need process to facilitate success to our QB. Whether it is Darnold or Lawrence. Otherwise we will not get expected results. And that would be shameful. As is today with Darnold.

20. BomberJet

You are in the minority in that point simply because form all the 'experts' in the sports world that have followed Sam and the Jets, they all feel Sam will excel with a better team, better coaching, etc. I'm not going to argue with you on the merits of this. But I will say that If everyone is adamant that Gase sucks and has impeded Sam's development, why should we not give Sam a chance, and still only 23 dam years old!?!

#240 BomberJet, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020