i hear we r 21.5 million under the cap!!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by krd145, Mar 9, 2006.

1. krd145

krd145 New Member

yes 21.5! even with abe's contract! Mike T. is the man! i hear we can possibly get shaeffer, brad hopkins, ted washington, and willie mcginest this offseason. Now if thats not sweet that i dont know what is.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So we're in eternal cap hell next year too! Yay!

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

lol...but seriously...does that number include abes tag number?

See...even with the lower cap number, the concern I have with a young coach...a young gm..isnt that they can bring guys to our team...even the right ones.

Im concerned that some players may be hesitant after hearing about all the holes the team has and a new...but very young group running the team.

Money can solve that problem...but you dont want to overpay to get players that may not be totally sold on the direction of this team.

This is a brutally important year for MT. Im dying to see who he goes after...what the plan is...and who in the end decides to come to the NYJ's.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Your pessimistic attitude isn't very charming as of recently...

#1- We aren't in cap hell this year
    #2- the cap increases another 7 million dollars next year from 102 Million to 109...
    #3- some of those guys will not be signed.

5. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I think he was just saying that would be the situation if psycho here got everyone he wanted.

6. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Bingo.

The number does include Abe's deal... Kitna and Shaffer are the only guys I really want so we can avoid being in cap hell next season. You have to remember that 8-12 mil of that will be used on draft picks

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be honest, I really don't think we're anywhere near $20 million under. We were near $25 million over, and we only restructured saving about $10 million within Robertson, Coles and Pennington. That means wee shed $35 million in cap space over five or six cuts? I highly doubt that.

Yes, it would be nice to be that much under, but few seem to remember that signing free agents left and right isn't going to produce a successful team. Look at where the Vikings (underachievers every year), Redskins (one playoff appearance), and Falcons have landed as of late. Merely average. Teams are successful through the draft and smart signings.

Not to mention that Tannebaum probably got under the cap this year mainly because he restructured contracts back a to a year or two from now when we have space when guys like Kendall and Ellis aren't making as much money as they are this year.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am not in favor of going on a spending spree even if we have alot of cap room. We have alot of young players w/ potential, give them a shot this year and add some pieces then have cap room for next year and beyond when we might be in better shape to make a run.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

guys - while i applaud the owner and the "new" front office the jets cap position today is something that was bound to happen sooner or later.......

it had to happen this year and quite frankly is probably 2 years delayed due to several factors. the extra fat should have been trimmed way back but the dynamic duo of edwards and bradway would NOT have that done on their watch. can you imagine edwards going through a re-building process such as what mangini and staff will go thru now.

cutting and re-working contracts is an annual event and every team must stay ahead of the curve.

jil

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no forget aboutthe spending spree - the jets are going to have the guys like vilma, robertson, coleman etc in the hole for future re-structures of pending free agency......

you CAN still build around these guys so any activity in free agency should be done with those players in mind.

i can see the jets doing an offensive lineman, QB and defensive lineman in FA.....nothing top tier. the top tier acquisitions this offseason MUST come from the draft.

jil

11. krd145

krd145 New Member

exit 117. u call me a psycho. well u obviously dont understand that willie mcginest and ted washington r very likely options because they won RINGS with mangini. they also have been released and their options are not many. therefore, we can get them for cap friendly deals. and oh yeah, ummmmmmm....... we need OFFENSIVE LINEMEN! i mean cmon if thats not obvious, than u dont know ur a$$ from your elbow. and shaeffer and hopkins are not the best offensive linemen out there which MEANS we can possible get them and with cap FRIENDLY deals. call me psycho, i call u pathetic. u probably want us to draft cutler and start him right?

12. Ikeyman3

Ikeyman3 New Member

From JI poster Kerry Rhodes who does a great job with the cap

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Pennington saved us $9M by himself. So that $10M number you came up with is VERY low.

14. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

is that 25 million over before or after we cut law and fiedler. (im not trying to be sarcastic i just honestly dont know).

15. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Before. $26M over was before we made any cuts/restructures.

16. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

We won't get McGinest. There are already 3 main prospective teams.

17. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I dont want either of these old geezers.

18. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

cant we resign abe make him happy.. which the signing will lower his cap number. Therefor we dont have to draft or sign a pass rushing OLB.

19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Hell yea this is great. That would be a very good free agency if we signed those players. Ted Washington would be a great NT Shaffers a solid RT and Mcginest would bring great leadership to the D and be good for the 3-4.

20. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Let's just be careful, it will be tempting to overspend, then we'll be in cap hell again. Let's not walk before we crawl