2020 NFL Week 1: New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 6, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

At the cost of getting flamed by both sides please remember this thread is Jets versus Bills, not Allen versus Darnold. If the Jets are worrying about Allen as the key weapon for Buffalo then we are narrow minded and short sighted. IMO, Allen is not even in the top third of the quarterbacks we will face this year. I still go back to game one last year and I'm reminded as to what really cost us the win. Loosing the core defensive players and imploding defensively in the fourth quarter. Buffalo offensively didn't light shit up on fire like some here think will happen Sunday. In fact, a sick Darnold behind a crazy bad OL was getting the upper hand. This is a team effort and we need every player on both sides of the ball to give it 100% and play error free Sunday. As long as we give them a tough run for the money and hopefully win the game, I quite frankly don't give two shits about how Allen plays. Call it a dry run for much better QBs that we will be facing later.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How about Jets and Bills fans agree to set aside today to trash Baker Mayfield. That should make us all happy.

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Ah yes.. the week with the most hope in Jets land.. week before game 1.

Im mentally prepared for another rough year. All i want is to see darnold show he's a true FQB. Next year, I'd like to expect winning.

This is an interesting game. I say Jets win if they keep Bills to 1 TD or less

LAJet and twown like this.
  4. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Because that's how we feel at this point. We've made the long term emotional (and financial) investment. However foolish it is and however miserable out lives are...when our teams win it gives us a lift and a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Even though Adams and Mosely are gone, I think the Jets D will be strong because of confidence built in 2nd half of last season and 2nd year under same DC. The offense has more weapons now and they have an offensive line. I think Buffalo is over-rated. Darnold > Allen. Jet's could win this.

6. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

I disagree. Those 5 game winning drives laat year didnt happen bc the ball was laying in the end zone and a bills player fell on it. Anyone who has watched allen would know he had a long way to go early in year one and he just keeps getting better and better despite being the most raw. He had like half the college snaps and much lower competition but has risen to the occasion. Those who have watched him see he has 'it' and if he can harness it consistently then he will be a stud. I promise i dont mean this in a jerky way, but if you just plain dislike a player NOTHING he does can make you think otherwise. Its the same how Bills fans call Lamar a 1 trick pony bc they think hes solved and cant do it BUT its more they just dobt want to admit the kids good bc that means admitting to themselves they picked the wrong guy. Just as sam has potential, so does allen. Dude can ball, hustle, and spin it. Hes good and thats played into the bills successes. If you think they make the playoffs w matt barkley last year you are just plain wrong. The story isnt finished, but if allen keeps improving and takes that next step and you are still calling him a glorofied running back you are either smarter than the rest of the world or your stubborness has led you astray to ignorance. I dont like the jets, but i recognize darnold could be a real talent with the correct sotuation in place and some aspects of his game ironed out. If you cant admit that about allen then your dislike is a little deeper than ignorance.

snamsnoops likes this.
  7. Billsfan1212

I can get behind this, but because it plays into jets fans tendency to hate allen regardless, id guess, bc he could have gone to ny but sam was chosen. Everything worked out as it should have however . Buffalo fans love their guy and i hope jets fans love theirs. Theyll always be linked but both are on the upswing, have a ways to go, and are both unfinished products. Calling either trash is short sighted. I think the jets are a year behind team wise, but hopefully the jets have the right people in the right places and will arrive as a whole soon enough. It benefits everyone if both qbs become successful as it makes for a great rivalry and excellent football for years to come. Lets not confuse jets fans hating bills fans and vice versa as a reason to say dumb things and pretend to know the future and answers no one can possibly know.

#107 Billsfan1212, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    LAJet likes this.
  8. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Someone who was that bad and that inaccurate in college, despite his arm talent...tough for those types to become very good long term starters. And so far in the pros, he's still pretty damn inaccurate and sometimes a bit Sanchezian with his decision making with the ball in his hands. Buffalo definitely doesn't want to ask him to do too much (and they haven't thus far) the heart of the Bills is the defense and a good running game (which Allen is contributor too) but they definitely don't want him gunslinging too much

Maybe down the road that will change, he certainly has the talent

9. Billsfan1212

I think his accuracy issues are a bit of a misnomer. In mid range he was actually top tier. Long balls were an issue - and one that before the bullets fly, reportedly has improved. The kid was RAW. Hes only had 2 yrs of actual coaching and a ton less snaps. What some people who havent watched him much say is accuracy issues is more wtf plays where his mechanics totally fall apart and something not pretty happens. Every qb has them and a bigger deal is made about his because they seem to be a bit more erratic. The upside of that is all hes done this far is improve. Thats what the hype is about. If it was status quo over 2 years Bills fans would feel the same as you. But when you watch every snap and see the excitment that comes with it and that potential becomes more and more harnessed - knowing his drive to get better and his love for the game makes people optomistic. I get why jets fans wouldnt share that enthusiasm and it benefits them to ignore it maybe that at least helps explain Bills fans POV and why he has garnered more excitment etc and landed on the NFLs top 100 players list. The kid has a ton of heart and if his game matches it in the next couple years, watch out. Fwiw i feel the same about darnold. If the kid gets some consistancy in his situation, the sky is the limit

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

BTW. I’m a life long Jets fan but I don’t hate Josh Allen at all. I wish him the best. My good friend’s son went to school with him and we talked about Allen for years. I think Sam was still the better choice for us, but as an organization we did a shit job under prior leadership to build a team around him. Both our teams have a long drought and owe the loyal fans a sweet taste of success. After this Sunday, I wish your team the best.

cval likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its not a stretch to say the Bill have the best team in the division on paper. But can they make that translate on the field this season? I think the Bills are a 10-6 team who, if they play really well and gel, could be 11-5 or maybe even 12-4. On the other side if things melt down they could win less than 10 games. Since you our competition we are kind of hoping for the latter.

What I worry about most on Sunday is your pass rush. After last year Sam needs to be able to trust his line and you all are going to be a big test right out of the gate. Even if we lose on Sunday, if our o-line begins to gel that will be a win of sorts for us going forward. To be honest, at the end of the season, anyone but NE winning the division will be acceptable to me. But I'd rather it was the Jets. Good luck on Sunday.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

On paper the Bills beat us at about every position but tightend and defensive tackle.

Allen is the more productive quarterback as well. Both of these teams are grind it out keep it close teams though. Those games require game winning drives and 4th quarter passing. Hopefully Darnold overtakes him in terms of overall quarterbacking because of his passing ability when he has protection.

ouchy likes this.
  13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Anyone saying Allen has accuracy issues doesn’t watch the games. People make that argument based on just looking at his completion percentage, which is a silly thing to associate with actual accuracy, as the two have nothing to do with one another. For example, the bills dropped the most passes last season. Also, our offense doesn’t throw screen passes or quick hitters for easy completions like the rest of the league does. Someone said if there were 20 more completions from people not dropping the passes or throwing a screen or two, Allen finishes the year at 60%. Does that mean he was a better qb? No.

Ive also seen people post videos of passes that were actually inaccurate, which is funny because you can find those throws with any qb.

Anyway, I’m not sure completion percentage even matters anyway. Cam Newton won the league MVP and set the world on fire during a year where he completed only 59% of his passes. It’s about big plays, timely plays, and winning. Allen does all of that

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think a receiver touched a ball in this highlight real. The first 4-5 throws he had guys with 4 yards of separation. The others are atrocious double coverage decisions.

Anyone who says he has accuracy issues is correct in their assessment and has likely watched him play.

Brook! and FlaJet like this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm not as high on the Bills as everyone else, it feels like another Rex Ryan roster to me. They should still have too much for the Jets but its Week One and we could sneak a shitshow.

I'll be very surprised if the Pats don't win the AFCE for the umpteenth time, even with their COVID-dodgers missing.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

The team is well assembled. Their weakness is a big move the chains receiver and a quarterback that will struggle on 3rd downs and making tight window throws when he needs to and can't rely on his legs.

Their secondary is very good with an elite corner, they have versatile interior defensive lineman and linebackers that can stop the run but more importantly cover and play in space. The offensive line remains intact from last year as well.

I just don't ever trust Allen to be a big time quarterback in this league. He's going to run around like an idiot and make plays and provide good leadership but when things tighten in the 4th quarter if teams contain his legs he'll struggle to make throws outside the numbers and up the seams that aren't airmailed throws.

17. Bills over Jets

you can’t make a video of every other qb’s throws? Brady does it every game.

18. Bills over Jets

Lol he was one of the best ranked qbs on 3rd downs and he had 5 4th quarter come backs.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh? Buffalo was ranked 20th on third down conversions.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

23rd ranked team in terms of points scored, 26th ranked offense in terms of passing yards and he had one game winning drive against a winning team (2-3 Tennessee that was starting Mariota). The others came against us, Cincinnati, Miami and Pittsburgh.

He completed TWO passes on the game winning drive against the Titans. One was a 46 yard screen pass. He completed TWO passes against the Bengals - one was the wide open pass below that had a 25+ yard RAC. Not a tight window throw.

He once again completed 2 passes for the "game-winning drive" against Miami for 17 yards. Kind of silly that he gets credit for that anyway when Micah Hyde returned a kick to seal the 10 point win anyways.

And two more completed passes for the game winning drive against the Steelers. Really nice pass on that one to John Brown though. No sarcasm there. And he shredded us week one last year in the second half.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/j...s-coaches-used-renegade-to-beat-the-steelers/

Kind of silly to throw game winning drives and 4QC out as a stat to show his accuracy though. Mark Sanchez had five in his second year too.

Geno Smith led the NFL in game winning drives in 2013.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Clearly Buffalo looks like the team to beat in the AFC East going into the 2020 season.

That said I'm not counting out New England I know better by now.

And I don't look at Buffalo as this unbeatable superpower yet they'e not there yet.

I will say this if they can't win the division title this season with everything that's gone on they have to question what they're doing.