Conklin plans on signing with the Jets (Signs with Browns)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 1, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

After years of neglect to our O-Line, I wouldn't mind two big FA offensive lineman addition(s) followed by drafting O-Line in both 2nd and 3rd rounds (I want WR either Jeudy/Lamb during the 1st).

Two major upgrades to our O-Line during free agency followed by 2nd and 3rd round O-Lineman could and should completely re-vamp our offensive line while giving Sam Darnnold protection and time needed in order to scan the field along with allowing Le'Veon Bell to run wild behind his hogs.

It would become a breath of fresh air to attack O-Line (rather than defense) throughout free agency and address offense with our 1st 3 picks (rather than defense) with a 1st round stud WR, 2nd round O-Lineman and a 3rd round O-Lineman. This fan base would be excited over the offensive side of the ball for the first time in quite some time heading into 2020.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Joe Douglas this September looking at the line he built for Sam
    [​IMG]

twown likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. In addition, Conklin commits a lot of penalties. I think he had 15 this past season. That's absurd, especially illegal procedure penalties for moving too soon. There's no way a player who is mediocre in pass protection and who commits a lot of dumb penalties should even get $10 million a year, much less $15 million or $18-$19 million. Let some other team be a dumb sucker. Douglas should stay far away from both Conklin and Trent Williams.

4. NCJetsfan

I think Glasgow and Vaitai would be good signings. Both have positional flexibility. Neither will command huge contracts unless they have a lot of suitors.

5. NCJetsfan

If reports are true, Conklin's asking price is absurd. He is projected to get upwards of $15 million per season. For a RT who isn't elite, commits a lot of dumb penalties and is only a mediocre pass blocker, that is insane!!!! I'd pay Thuney that money before I would Conklin, but honestly, wouldn't pay either of them that much. I'd rather Douglas sign 7-8 FAs and the top guy be getting only $8-$10 million per season, than sign only 2-3 FAs and the top one be getting $15 million or more per season.

6. NCJetsfan

No, he doesn't. That would be one of the biggest mistakes Douglas could make.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He didn't rank in the top 50 in penalties (all positions) in any year of his career.

His penalties by year are:
    2016: 3
    2017: 6
    2018: 4
    2019: 6

So I'm not really sure what you're talking about. He's a really good player who will get a contract a great player will get. There's a stigma that right tackles aren't as important and it's kind of silly. I don't think the Saints would trade Ryan Ramczyk under any circumstances.

Conklin was an All-Pro his rookie year and battled some injuries in the next couple of preseasons including a concussion. He returned to form this year. He's a stabilizing figure across the line and instantly allows you to have a shittier guard next to him because he gets such a good push in the run game.

Winters(who I'm always critical of) and Conklin would be a nasty right side of white guys with typical white guy tattoos.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  8. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Does the new CBA, if passed by the players, have any effect on the future salary cap? I was wondering if there's going to be a bigger jump in the coming years, then say a 18M$ per year for Conklin won't seem that high after all.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I don't think Winters will be around after FA. JD may be waiting to pounce on guards and then will let Winters go......

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I think just for the tattoo idea he will be retained to pair with Conklin...

In all reality, he's a middle of the road NFL guard. He looked worse this year because he was hurt and had turnstiles on either side.

But I do really think we should try to restructure him and keep him. We have the worst offensive line in football. We're not in the position to be letting legitimate NFL players go. Keeping the 18th best guard in the league is not a bad move at $6.5 million per year that can be reduced if restructured. Because his replacements were the 80th and 81st.

Winters becomes a formidable player with a good right tackle next to him.

I initially wanted them gone for cap savings, but keeping players like him, Avery Williamson, etc. And getting them back healthy make this team better than letting them go over a couple million of savings that we'll just use to replace them anyway.

Except Daryl Roberts. He sucks.

11. mrjet80

The Jets will have at least 3 new starters next season on the OL the question is which FAs and which players in draft right now rumors are flying and we as fans don't know what is going on behind the scenes.....I'm gonna guess a new LT ( draft ), Lewis for LG, a new center ( draft ), a FA for RG and for RT who knows there are reports they like Chuma, there are reports they are going hard for Conklin....maybe it turns out to be a new draft pick too......by next week we'll start to get some answers.

12. mrjet80

I understand both sides to the Avery debate. He's an awesome ILB and paired with Moseley the Jets defense will be that much tougher to run inside BUT if an outside pass rush can finally be found along with a decent CB or two the Jets may have to subtract from strength to address a weakness. In todays salary cap world situations such as this is reality unfortunately.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I get it, for sure. This would hold true if he had a $10-11 million cap savings. But you're only saving $6.5 million on the cap. You then have to replace him so you're paying Hewitt or the other guy who I'm forgetting his name $3-5 million per year.

And you only saved $1.5-$3 million on it. I'd rather have two stud inside linebackers than save $3 million.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing in the slightest. Our OL was horrible. Just saying there are a lot of things you can do to help other than go out and but the most expensive FAs around

NE for example rarely resigns for big money. And i can't ever remember them signing another team's OL for big money.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

lol exactly. People who are looking to ship Williamson out simply do not understand these aspect(s).

16. Jonathan_Vilma

It's tough to use New England as an example because their lineman always leave and become dumpster fires. Other than Trent Brown which is weird because he had it written all over him. Maybe because he was only there a year.

But they benefit from a couple things. One of which is Scarnecchia whose probably the best positional offensive line coach of all time.

And I hate to be a conspiracy theorist about them, but they really do get away with a ton of holds. Maybe Dante has coached them the best way to hide it.

You're right on one front though. They utilize the quick passing game and runningback passing game to kill opposing pass rushes and help their line out a ton. They wear teams out with that early on in the game too so they can open it up later when the defensive line is tired.

17. mrjet80

I'm not saying that's what JD will do. He may very well opt to keep Williamson. I'm saying I can see either situation unfold.....

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If some of his penalties were false starts, we can discount them because Harrison will be snapping the ball too soon anyway.

FJF likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How’s this?
    Becton
    Lewis
    Glasgow
    Winters
    Conklin.
    Who says no?

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm even willing to kick Glasgow out to a guard spot, or sign a lesser guard than him and draft a center in the 3rd. Becton-WR-C-CB/Edge.

There are a lot of decent guards out there in FA. I'm starting to be against breaking the bank for a good one and rather be all in on fixing the tackle spots.

mrjet80 and FJF like this.