Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

JV... try reading this about AG..
    https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/12/here-is-proof-jets-adam-gase-keeps-getting-out-coached.html

it just talks about how he is getting out coached after 1/2 time and there is truth to that. All season we have seen minimal (and I am being kind here with my comment) adjustments after half time. Indeed, what you see is a coach who looks befuddle because his plays aren't working anymore and he goes off - BY HIMSELF as we have seen - and charts out new ones... LOL Unlike BB who goes over to his players and has discussions and coaches up his players he does nothing… nothing. I have not seen him this year ever get his OL, WR, QB either together or separately to coach them up. Christ whenever a reporter asks him about an injury he is clueless... that shows disinterest which players see and react too.

he was a losing HC (28-34) in Miami with his players and he is a loser here. I just think when you do not have answers you make excuses. AG has had his share in Miami and likewise now here... The only way this incompetent (my opinion) will get fired is if this team crashes and burns in Pitt and then Buff. But maybe even that will not convince owners recognize their mistake.... Either way there are some very valid points in that article....

#2981 SOJAZ, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't need any advanced statistics to tell me what I already know and can see when I watch the games. We're a bad team. We in the bottom of tons of these statistical categories. We're 28th in points for. Of course we suck in the third quarter. We also suck in the first, second and fourth quarter. We're consistently good at next to nothing except opening drives with Darnold back.

We suck at screens. We can't throw the ball down field because there's no time. We can't block the end man LOS so bootlegs get blown up. We can't run the ball. We have no pass rush at all.

We're not good at much. We have a quarterback and a slot receiver and a middle of the road outside receiver and that's pretty much it. We have a good strong safety, an overrated by the fans free safety, middle linebackers fighting for their NFL careers and a bunch of big bodied 3-4 lineman that stop the run.

I won't make a true judgement on this coach beyond some things game to game that I see, until I see the talent level improve.

I have no allegiance to this coach. But I'm realistic unlike many of you anti-Gase people. Who didn't like the signing and feel like a team with the most injuries in the league and bottom 5 talent to start is some sort of coaching disaster because we're 5-9.

Where does everyone think we should be? What coach would've made this better? What coach should we hire that if we fire Gase?

LAJet likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Gase supporters - "We've had a ton of injuries!"

Gase haters - "The injuries were caused by Gase's training regimen!"

[​IMG]

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it wasn't bottom 5 talent to start. This team had talent in training camp. Not best in the league or anything but it had areas of strength with some big flaws obviously. The injuries have decimated this team. And Gase starts his tenure with his QB getting freakin mono. It was a lost season then

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they could lose 50-0 to Pittsburgh and Buffalo back to back to close out the year and Gase would still be retained. Hate to break it to ya.

they aint gonna lose 50-0 though anyway. the only way Gase gets fired is if there's some kind of off the field embarrassment. an arrest or a me too thing. Gase don't seem like the type

6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the biggest "Gase-Haters" here and there is 0 chance he gets fired this year. Not going to happen. One good thing about this I can say is our owners aren't dumb enough to fire a coach after just one year. They are pretty dumb. But no team turns around in one year and stay consistent afterwards. I personally think this was a bad hire and we are wasting 2 years of Sam's rookie deal. But there is no chance of us firing Gase, it doesn't make sense financially or from a football perspective.

Once he was hired, which I think was the mistake, Johnsons had set in motion what will happen for the next 2 years. If we are an improved roster next and its still a barn fire next year then we can all say we knew. But until then no point even pushing the subject.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, a very clear indictment of Gase's coaching. And to be clear, this details a measurable trend over time, not just a game or two, and more damning, it's what he's done over his career. How you can dismiss this and excuse it is beyond me. But, by the time the Gase Excusers figure it out, we'll be three years down the road and facing yet another rebuild.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If true, this is an excellent point! I'm not pleased with Gase, but this is a strong argument against firing him this offseason. I hate potentially wasting another year or hurting Sam's progress, but if he can turn things around with better talent, I'm willing to give him that shot.

That said, if the Jets have the same amount of injuries next year, I don't care if it's a coincidence, I'll want him fired. If they have a great offseason, the OL is a good deal better, and the overall talent level is better, but the team still struggles like this year and is not prepared for games, is not competitive in others, and Gase isn't making adjustments, then I'll want him gone.

SOJAZ and Attackett like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you here. Next year he is out of excuses. They either show legitimate progress and he remains HC or not and they fire him and Joe D picks his own coach.

I just really don’t like the idea of firing a HC after one season that was filled with a crazy amount of injuries, especially in a year that will have the Giants and Cowboys also in market for a HC.

I’m looking at all the HC candidates and no one really excites me. Rhule and Riley excite me but our ship has sailed with Rhule and Riley is not coming here, he’ll either go to Cowboys or stay in college.

Who else is a clear upgrade and worth putting Sam in his 3rd offense in 3 years? I know the Gase haters will say anyone is better but that is just not reality. Especially considering Sam is playing really well despite having the worst OL in league and very little talent around him.

Bottom line is we need more talent no matter who the HC is. The one great thing Gase has going for him is it just May be the first time in what seems to be forever that the Jets GM and Jets HC really are in same page.

NYJFOREVER and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Honestly, all these excuses for Gase really remind me of Stockholm Syndrome: we Jets fans have been abused for so long, we'll accept anything that provides the flimsiest hope as an excuse. Forget about who's available or might be, that does not change the assessment of Gase's performance. And again, we're not just talking about a few games, or one season, or about a rookie HC, we're talking about a 4 year HC. At some point you have to face that reality.

The Jets are at yet another turning point. They can choose to continue doing what they've done, doubling down on loser bets, or they can take their losses - and the knowledge from them - and move in a different direction. As a Jets fan for 57 years, I know what their choice will be, but it doesn't make it right. I feel like the sorry wife who watches her husband walk out the door with their rent money to see his bookie because THIS TIME he's got a sure thing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Picking up Ryan Tannehill last week won me my fantasy playoff game and got me into the finals.

Now I have to decide between starting him or Aaron Rodgers who’s been kinda trash this season.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not on the topic of your post, but I always find it funny how compared to other teams' QBs, Jets QBs get graded on a curve. Anyway, if I were in your shoes I'd go with Rodgers but don't blame me if you do that and Tannehill outplays him. :p

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I guess I should say “trash” in terms of fantasy performance. I’d kill for Sam to have his stats right now, but outside of a couple outbursts he hasn’t done much for my team.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Anyone who goes to teh game Sunday should bring a giant dildo and throw them at Gase all day long....throw a dildo....delay for a minute while they pick it up and then BOOM, another dildo. Followed by more dildos. Keep throwing silicon dicks at him until he has no choie but to retire. Cheaper than billboards and sends a stronger message.....

rammagen likes this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is basically my opinion after a rollercoaster of wanting to fire Gase and thinking okay maybe they should keep him.

I'm not high on Gase, but I'm also not sure of who else is out there that would be better with this God awful roster.

Hopefully they get 2 or 3 new linemen and add a couple talented playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. If every major move in the offseason is on the offensive side of the ball then so fucking be it. I'd rather lose in a shootout then let Sam get slaughtered every week.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

See I agree. I think Gase will fail. There is no way he gets fired this year period. So we need to draft well, get a wr1, lt, rt, center, edge rusher, running back and maybe free safety (I like Maye but he needs to be more consistent and less injured). That will take more than one draft.

So if Douglas is what we hope but Gase is what we think, we draft well again next year and Gase is out...

Yes it wastes time on Sam's rookie deal, but once Gase was hired this was the way it was going. Maybe Gase can turn his career around. I doubt it. But it is what it is.

rammagen likes this.
  18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I think Kenny Stills also had 2 tds

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Your response really doesn't change the central point of the article does it. Its not just injuries and backup talent, he is consistently out coached period. Look at the Balt game... they played pretty well for most of the 1st half and then as usual they couldn't do shit in the 2nd half because he continued to call the same plays as he did in 1st half that Balt adjusted too and stopped...yet he didn't adjust. That is the point. That is been the hall mark of his tenure in Miami and now here. through 14 games his record is w5 L9 .357.

I fully expect that JoeD will upgrade the OL, get a WR and maybe even a PassR. Even with those changes, I will go on record and say now that this HC will still be losing and the team "maybe" competitively better but still have a losing season. IMHO, he will continue to be out coached and because of his reluctance to change and therefore end up with another loss season. I hope to hell I am wrong but I just do not see it, with this HC style and the historical data that says otherwise.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No because the teams sucked in both halves so it doesn't really make a case for Gase as a coach one way or another.

We lost the first half 21-7 to the Ravens. We lost the second half 21-14 with a blocked punt for a touchdown. Would it have felt better if he ran the ball 25 times in the second half with Le'Veon Bell while down 2-3 scores at all times because "it was working?"