Whats transpiring truly bad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, May 21, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Molokov was explosive and needed to be thrown out the window!

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of picking the lesser of two evils. Neither should be an option but both are obviously always on the table for dem Jets.

nycarl and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but your last two paragraphs make zero sense. First, Chris didn't know that he was going to fire Mac. He had some concerns, hadn't decided yet on whether to fire Mac or not. Now one could make the point, that if Chris was even thinking about firing Mac, that he should have gone ahead and done it. I would agree with that point, but that's not what happened.

Second, who was Chris going to let run the offseason? He didn't say anything about Heimerdinger, but evidently was already thinking of firing him too for whatever reasons he eventually fired him. So who on the Jets was going to run the offseason? Who on the Jets was going to advise him on who to hire? He has said that he didn't think was capable of hiring both the GM and the HC at the same time. He hoped that things with Mac would work out. He probably didn't want to go the consultant route again, as that led to Bowles and Mac in the first place. He was ok with the moves that Mac had made in FA and the draft, so that wasn't why he had doubts about Mac. He had doubts about Mac because of Mac's lack of leadership, his lack of communication with the rest of the FO, and possibly because of a strained, problematic relationship between Mac and Heimerdinger.

4. MAC had put the team in the position to spend all that cap space this past offseason.It was a large part of his plan.He delivered on Darnold in 18..he was gonna get his shot.

Stuff happened leading up to the draft that changed things w ownership.They certainly didnt plan on letting him go. The draft is not something you can just put somebody in charge of on short notice. And could you imagine the backlash & dark cloud that wouldve hung over this past draft if they had put Gase in charge?

The timing piece has been noted as being a standard practice set by KC/Philly multiple times.Nobody has to like it..but its not unprecedented or sheer incompetence.

Beyind that..forget about the perceived bad timing w letting MAC go..think about the GREAT timing in finding his replacement.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Of course it makes sense, there was precedent in our very own division.

There have been reports that Johnson had doubts about Mac but didn’t think he could handle the task of hiring both a GM and HC. One with any brain capacity at all would think, instead of bringing back the GM that I have doubts about and letting him assist in the HC search and then run one of the most important offseason for the Jets in years he would instead hire someone that can accomplish both tasks of hiring a competent GM and HC.

The rumor of Mac being fired came out after day one of the draft, which means it was being considered long before that. Once it was known that Mac was not long for the job, he should’ve been stripped of his power and Gase should’ve run the draft, just like the Bills did with McDermott. Gase at least has experience being in charge of personnel decisions unlike McDermott. Not very successful experience but experience nonetheless.

6. Attackett

Well I have said all will be forgiven with me if and when Joe Douglas is hired and I will start looking on the bright side like I usually do. I’m extremely high on Douglas ever since I heard an interview with him a year or so ago(I know that has no bearing on his ability to lead a team but he comes across as extremely bright and no nonsense).

I’ll have to look into the Philly situation you mentioned but I don’t see the KC situation as comparable at all, everyone knows there isn’t a decision made in KC that isn’t approved by Reid. The most comparable situation is in Buffalo and McDermott ran that offseason.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Molotov Cocktail ..used by by Finns against the invading Soviets in 1939

An insulting reference to S Molotov the Russian foreign minister who made a pact between Russia and Natzi Germany before WWII

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its not the who or the what it is the why and the how...

GMs and coaches typically have a 3-5 year window and lifecycle. making the wrong move sets you back but you can pivot and overcome it in short order if the new regime is solid. Owners have a 25-50 year window and lifecycle and longer if they pass the team down. there is no overcoming bad ownership for the most part.

do i care McCagnan was fired? no... i had little faith in him and his drafting and signings proved to be very poor. The issue is they let him hire front office staff, make draft choices, spend a ton of cap space and then fired him. I cant underscore enough how horrifically stupid that is.

On top of that, there should never be a "power struggle" before mini camp even starts. Gase should have known his role and others roles day 1 and been on board with it. that doesnt seem to be the case, again massive failure from the top. and if he does know his role and is having issues then kick him the "F" out too. this is a head coaching position in the NFL for a NY franchise, respect that and know your role or we find someone else

this wont end until ownership steps down and. hands over full control with no meddling or sells the team.

Noam and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. jerseyjay14

the problem is they didnt fire everyone 6 months ago, they are doing it now.... after those people we fired made enormous franchise altering decisions for us.

10. jerseyjay14

if he didnt have an issues with MACs drafting then he doesnt understand much about the draft. which makes sense... with him being a buffoon and all.

this isnt the 6th grade grammer school dance: "do i like him? dont i like him? what do i do?"... this is NFL football, you are either confident in the guy or you arent and if you arent you damn well make the decision before letting the guy make moves that will impact you for the next 5 years.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, you obviously didn't read my response or have reading comprehension issues. Chris was not thinking of firing Mac. He was unhappy with some things, and if things didn't change this year, then Mac would have probably been fired at the end of the 2019 season, but Chris wasn't even thinking about firing Mac before the draft.

The Bills' situation was different. As you state it the Bills' owner knew that he was going to fire Whaley after the draft. In that situation, if the owner had already made that determination, why wait until after the draft, particularly after he decided to let the HC run the draft. With the Jets, Chris Johnson had not decided to fire Mac. It was the lack of leadership, and the arguments/dissension between Mac and Gase and Heimerdinger right before, during and after the draft that convinced Chris that Mac needed to go.

They were/are different situations, so your comments do not make sense.

#31 NCJetsfan, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I believe Chris didn't realize he needed to fire Mac until after the draft. That also makes him an idiot.

nycarl, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Attackett

So you think that Christopher Johnson woke up after the draft and read all those reports of Mac getting fired after the draft and thought gee that’s a good idea?

Cmon now..

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No that isn't what I think. I think Chris watched Mac handle the draft and finally realized, at Gase's urging, that Mac is incompetent. He's an idiot for not realizing that sooner when he could have fired Mac along with Bowles and not put the team in this mess.

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am very much interested in what entrenched players Gase will toss to the curb. If he did not I would think he was an idiot. We were 4-12, after all

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Gase forming an army of "his guys." he will bring in hard working team guys for the backup and special team slots, not throwaway, lazy slugs. lunchpail guys in a clubhouse are a culture changer. sometimes you have to accept warts in exchange for talent, but having a bunch of good team type guys in support is a cultural improvement

#36 jdon, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lesson!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Facts. Shake shit the fuck up. Get everyone who ain’t worth shit up out the building.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Pete Carroll picked John Schneider in Seattle and Carroll was NFL joke when he went to Seattle.

There’s not a single reason why we have to have the GM pick the coach. As long as they’re on the same page, don’t suck and work hard then we should be good.

Our coaching staff is possible the best it’s since Parcells was here.

Gase, Williams, Pollack, JBC, Jefferson, Wilson, Vitt and Boyer are all really good-great coaches.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Somethings wrong here;)

You can bet one of the Doubting Thomas's on TGG will find it

Jeti likes this.