Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Huh? One was Lombardi and the other was fed the information by Lombardi so it wouldn't seem Lombardi started it. My post had nothing to do with your post, I didn't even pay attention to what you wrote I just picked one to respond to.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know it's not within the boundaried section, but I do want to reply to your point that you didn't say Macc has done a good job. The very fact that you're willing to let him continue in the job implies that he's done good enough, doesn't it?

As to the area in the boundary, we'll have to "agree to disagree" I guess.But let me try to explain where I'm coming from,

Macc's first year was successful beyond anyone's expectation - that's why he won GM of the Year. But that should've also told him that his roster wasn't very good, and moreover, the way Fitz fell flat should've told him that they didn't have a good QB on the team, despite Fitz's record setting. In other words, a good GM should've known that the team needed rebuilding - they hadn't rebuilt in years, which should've been another hint for him. My point is that if Macc REALLY knew talent, and was any good, he would've convinced the Johnsons to take the plunge and rebuild.

There's another aspect in this that gets overlooked when we focus on Macc only: this team hasn't been in the playoffs in 8 years. It's not like Macc would've been trying to sell the tear down of a SB contender. This team - despite the fluke of a 10-6 record - was not very good. I wasn't alone in hoping that when Macc arrived a rebuild was exactly what he was going to do. That 10-6 record was a mirage and any knowledgeable GM should've known it.

The bottom line is that I'm out of patience. If you and others are more patient, then I guess more power to you. You're getting your wish. And frankly I hope you're right and I'm wrong because I really don't know if I can live through another "rebuild" from scratch. I'm just very skeptical that Macc has done enough, and even more skeptical that he knows what has to be done.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

1 - How do we know he didn't try? We don't it is just guesswork, also like I said I can't see Woody agreeing to a rebuild after a 10-6 should have been a play off spot season.

2 - There's the thing though it really should have been in the play-offs in the 10-6 season and then you would have had nowhere to go with that line of argument lol again though I wanted a rebuild, I have voiced my opinion 2 years ago that I hoped we went 0-16 twice and cleaned up the top draft talent from the number 1 pick and high slots all the way down the draft but no this dumb team kept winning just enough games to make it top 6 picks but not quite the big pick we really needed, how long have the Browns been at their rebuild for example? It is about to go rocketing upwards for them now though, the nature of the way the NFL works at draft time, bomb out and stack up picks and then boom you are suddenly good to go and the likes of OBJ want to take your cash and wear your uniform, he wouldn't pissed on them two short years ago.

3 - I understand you are out of patience but supporting a team is like that, I may wish it to be different but currently it is not, what you going to do? Not turn up on a Sunday, not post on a message board, not look out for the results and so on?

Not sure how I am getting my wish tbh, I want the team to be successful, when it is I will have got my wish but currently nope.

3a - Well we haven't finished this rebuild yet so just hang fire for a bit, you have the potential of 10-15 years with an FQB to look forward to, we have 3 seasons of Bell to look forward to and in that time we can keep adding the pieces that improve us along the way.

A final word to finish off, I like Mac he has done a lot of things right but he has also done plenty wrong, his use of FA has been good but his middle to late drafts have been poor, round 1's have been good enough to get a pass, I didn't want Williams this year but on reflection the man could just be an absolute dream footballer and a franchise changer.

I think we go that dreadful number 8-8 this year and then we look to get the final pieces of the OL next season, either in FA or draft or a combination of the two and then we can push on, Sam will be a season 3 QB and hopefully after another season of improvement in year 2 he will be ready to fully take us on a long ride.

Take care man :)

4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

My issue with it is less that watson/Mahomes turned out to be outstanding...

its that Adams has not turned out to be outstanding... if you are going to pass on positional need and stick stubbornly to "best player available" then the guy you take needs to turn into a stud at his position. i have no issue with adams, but he isnt a reed/ polamlu type player or have that kind of impact

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. K'OB

Because his tender has been served under two differing remits by the owners, it isn't difficult to understand that and compartmentalize it as first two years a win now remit and thereafter a rebuild remit.

If you are going down the road of it must be a playoff or gone scenario you are going to be one disappointed fan come the season's end, one I don't think he will be sacked and primarily we are not a playoff contender right atm.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Because he isn't as flashy as Reed or Troy? In 2018, Jamal Adams became the first player in NFL history to have a season with 115+ tackles, 10+ passes defended, 3+ sacks, and 3+ forced fumbles.

That is impact right there. Herp but "he doesn't have that kind of impact" my ass. And he's only getting better.

I guess we can take this opinion of yours and put it in the trash bin next to your Darnold assessments?

Whomever else is still clamoring about Mahomes or Watson needs to stop that bullshit as well.

7. K'OB

Man, that is just plain silly, sorry.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

Personally, I like Jackson more ... I think he has more untapped potential in terms of his ability to throw, and man Ravens had a hell of a draft too. I can't wait for the Jets and Ravens game. Allen is still a play-maker, can make some nice throws down the field with time, but him moving the chains, making the easy throws ... I don't think he's there right now. he may or may not get there, but very exciting future for the NFL in terms of these QBs coming in.

K'OB likes this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think Adams has been great and still has a chance to be as good as the HOFers mentioned. Whether or not he does, doesn’t change the fact it was a poor decision

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. legler82

Passing on a QB for a safety when you need a QB and the safety & QB are in the same tier talent wise (that’s me being conservative) is dumb AF 100 times out of 100. Bullshit is believing otherwise.

11. legler82

I would hope my UNBLOCKED safety would make those tackles, preferably closer or behind the LOS 9 times out of 10. That's the whole purpose of having him be the 8th man in the box. Actually, I change my original statement, I would hope my front 7 could be stout enough against the run where I didn’t need to bring my safety in the box. Considering the investment made in the front 7 this past decade, that shouldn’t be too much to ask.

12. 101GangGreen101

I'll gladly take Darnold + Adams as my building blocks over Mahomes. Mahomes is a great talent, but Reid was highly instrumental in his success. I will be interested to see how he performs without Hunt, and Hill in the lineup.

Considering I always wanted a QB from the 2018 class ... and the fact that Adams and that safety class will probably go down as one of the best safety classes of all time if not the best, I am happy with how things turned out. Leaders on both sides of the ball.

Mahomes ain't here, so IMO fans need to stop complaining about that, yes you get a gold star for predicting he will be a good QB, but at this juncture it's about building the right pieces around Darnold.

Ralebird and Attackett like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I would consider watching more games because he does this almost on a weekly basis and to me it's not even impressive anymore, I expect it from Adams, he's THAT good. A lot of safeties cannot make those plays, they miss tackles, miss assignments, etc. Read the defense, shoot the gap and make a play. 3rd down, passing down, read the defense, identify who will get the ball and make a play on it.

Couldn't be happier we have a true leader in Adams.

K'OB likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I would LOVE to know how you and Biggs know the rest of the AFCE did better than we did in the draft. lol. We all have opinions but to talk like you know the results of the draft is pretty silly

15. legler82

Where are right now? Are we in a rebuild or contending this year? I really have no idea anymore.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

We are on the cusp of contending. At this stage, coaching will either help the Jets or hurt them.

K'OB likes this.
  17. legler82

This is what you are not about getting. It’s NOT about Mahomes. It’s about being bad at his job especially QB evaluation.

-He drafted Petty
    -He drafted Hackenberg IN THE 2ND ROUND
    -He passed on Mahomes
    -He blindly traded up to 3 convinced Darnold was going 1st. How do we know he wasn’t targeting everyone’s whipping boy Josh Allen?

You being completely wrong about the Reid effect aside, this is not about Mahomes. It’s about the decision made

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Need to go all in by 2020 before our key players get paid.

19. legler82

So sounds like Mac is void of any accountability with regards to this upcoming year’s outcome

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like Darnold and Adams, but I would much rather have Mahomes and Quentin Nelson, Roquan Smith, or Mike McGlinchey PLUS three 2nd round picks to use to fill other needs over Sam And Adams.

And the "complaining about missing Mahomes" isn't about wishing he were here, it's about using that miss to judge Macc. Macc IS still here.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.