This season is over..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I want to see the offense develop as well, but this team isn’t going anywhere this season. Like I said, I hate when we lose. I hate losing at anything. My concern is a false sense of accomplishment. If they’re still not playing great but squeak out some wins against bad teams, it just means we’re not the worst of the worst.

I feel strongly that we need a coach who specializes in running a dynamic pass friendly offense that will set our QB up for success. A guy that will pressure whoever the GM is to get him the right talent to fit his scheme so that it can be properly executed. We’ve tried that with defense and it’s gotten us to the point where we were just on the outside looking in. Time to try something new, and if it takes winning 5 games instead of 7 to make that happen, I can stomach it.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As long as the young QB is developing and some young pieces show up on O, they are going somewhere. Defense needs a pass-rusher in the worst way.

I've been looking at coaches, and right now, I just don't see another McVay or another Nagy out there. Do the Jets look at the college coaches? Lincoln Riley will be impossible to get. I don't want to fire these coaches just to fire them and get a downgrade. Todd Haley as a HC? I have reservations on DeFilippo, a lot of passes behind the LOS.

FJF likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What about Carmichael, the Saints OC. He's led a balanced attack since taking over more of the play calling from Payton.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. gulbane

gulbane Member

Expectations were way to high for 2018. Being generous, we have/had a mediocre OL, average WR's (well below average now with the injuries), a good DL and secondary......and, yes, a rookie QB that is suppose to be the next Namath. Ultimately, we started the year with an 'ok' 8-8 type team and got killed with injuries.....changing the expectations to 6-10. We just have no bench.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

I'm not clear what his responsibilities are week-to-week. He does call plays every now and then, but I just don't know how much he truly contributes to the offense.

You know, I wouldn't mind looking at college coaches, given the fact that the Spread tendencies are taking over the NFL now. However, if the Jets hire a college head coach, there needs to be some veteran presence that can help that coach adjust to the NFL.

HomeoftheJets and Jets81 like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll take a college coach who has developed a QB and a veteran DC. Just not sure who that DC is.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I agree, but that’s a lot. Offensive playmakers, upgraded OL, edge rusher.

It shows that the offense had been neglected in favor of the defense. That’s a problem that will keep the Jets down.

Todd Haley would be an interesting choice. He’d be closer to the top of my list then another rookie NFL coach, but some of those guys have to make it, otherwise the coaching well would eventually dry up. We just haven’t had consistent success with first time head coaches.

8. 101GangGreen101

I'm keeping my eye out on the Browns, there looks to be a potential implosion about to happen, I wouldn't mind taking Gregg Williams as our next DC. The key is having an innovative type offense with a veteran defensive guru. Gotta score points in todays league. Field a defense that generates turnovers. Just have to hope that offense doesn't ruin the young qb progress.

EDIT - Hue Jackson just got fired.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’ve been on the Harbaugh or bust bandwagon since before the season.

NYJetsO12, HomeoftheJets and zace like this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

To all those who say they never saw something like this before just wait 50 years like we have and make sure you keep this post & then you will understand then what you do not unnderstand now :mad:

NYJetsO12 and Peebag like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

didn't we all expect this? between the cap room, a rookie QB, issues at o-line and pass rusher we all knew this was a development/throw away season from the start. I think we got our hopes up week 1 with the Det blowout to open the season, but this was always the way it was going to go. Plus injuries have not been kind to us. when you lose 3 of your 4 top WRs to injury unless you have aaron rodgers or tom brady your pretty fucked. If the rams lost cooks, cupp, and woods i wouldn't expect them to be dominating like they are now either

we are in a good position. we'll have our QB in year 2, we have money to bring in help, we can improve playmakers on offense and o-line and get a pass rusher. we have all out picks minus a 2nd round but an extra 3rd round so we are good there and it's a great draft for o-line. The franchise as a whole has the brightest future we've had in a long time. we should be happy overall

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're looking pretty good for back to back top 10 DP's and that's a good thing. Perhaps not so good for your namesake though as I think he's gonna go with a 5-11 trifecta which would make him 15-33. Better than Hue Jackson but not exactly justification for yet another contract. Lucky for him he has a equal footing with the GM in the eyes of ownership. If this was a traditional org chart, his ass should be quite warm by now.

The future of this team for the next 5 years or so will be determined in 2019/20 as both will be rebuilding years. The only real question left is: Who will be doing the drafting and who will be coaching the team. Sorry, but our present leadership hasn't really shown much over the last 4 years and certainly not enough for long term deals.

#132 Cman68, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and Jets81 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean all jokes aside i just thought the name was funny. I'm neutral on bowles. I don't think he's a bad coach but i don't think he's a great coach. I wouldn't be upset if we kept him or fired him either way. The one i'll defend is mac who has done a great job as a GM and he shouldn't be going anywhere. outside of sucking picking WRs in the middle rounds he's done a great job overall and deserves to build this team up and see if darnold suceeds

14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

In my 50 years of fandom with this team has taught me anything, if there's a way to screw up this team, the Jets will do it.

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

we saw plenty of gregg williams here in upstate ny. he would be a downgrade from philly's dc, and both are much worse than wade phillips.

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

exactly the right points. this team spends way too much money and depends far too much on free agents.
    vince lombardi once said ' how can i expect to beat you with guys who were not good enough to be on your team?'
    players hit free agency due to lack of performance , off the field issues/character, want way too much money / me first types, and are nothing but short term band aids.
    the jets have historically been mostly poor drafters, especially in round 2-4.
    the scouting and draft day planning needs a total rebuild even more than the roster does.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There is no way to build your team entirely through the draft. You need FAs. The trick is to get ones that don't fall into your "disqualification set" - these would be guys who ARE good, but their current team can't afford them, or maybe they added someone better through the draft FA, making this guy - good but not as good as their new guy - expendable. Obviously you try and sign these guys to team-friendly deals, and look to upgrade each year going forward. Where I think you need to stay clear of is the "big money" All Pro types who usually do possess one or more of the "disqualifying traits" you listed. Your "big impact" players should come from the draft if at all possible.

I think their drafting problem is directly due to their lack of an overall team blueprint or identity. Successful teams have one and draft or sign players they believe fit their philosophy, even if they might be the absolute best player available. If you have a system that works, and you draft/sign players who fit that system, you're going to be successful more often than not. What is the Jets "philosophy" - besides make money for the Johnsons?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If 2020 is a rebuilding year then we will more than likely be adding darnold to the long list of draft busts and disappointments.

phubbadaman likes this.
  19. Cman68

MAD TV was great back in the day! :)

20. Cman68

Thats only 1.5 years from today FJay. Its really not that far off considering how many holes we have to patch all over the roster. I honestly don't think Macc will accomplish in 1.5 years what he couldn't over the last 4.

NYJetsO12 likes this.