Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

True. Hey they screw it up a month before the draft, Jamarcus Russell was as cant miss as they come.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes but the media have no clue what they're talking about. They just want clicks.

3. LF911SC

And a year ago this years QB class was supposed to rival the class of 83.

No one had Wentz at the top of any draft a year before his class and later.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. That is certainly possible, but I wouldn't say that it's more likely than not. The reason for that is that their trading JPP clearly shows that they're aren't going all in to win with Eli this year or next. They are building for the future, and unless they love Webb Davis and see him as Eli's replacement, they are going to take a QB, because more than likely they won't be picking in the top 5 again anytime soon.

5. NCJetsfan

Nonsense. You are way overstating Mayfield's negatives and chances of busting.

xxedge72x and westiedog1 like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember all those tanking for Teddy threads the year before. People assumed he would go #1 overall and he didn't get picked until the very end of round 1. Nobody really knows what is going to happen with college QBs a year or 2 prior to coming out. I don't understand why people assume things like that. Somebody said above that they know next year's QB class is not going to be good or the class 2 years down the road, but how could anybody possibly know that now? A year ago, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen weren't even in the conversation. Just Darnold then a huge dropoff.

7. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Yeah but the thing is, the Giants need to roll the dice now. They have to make a decision based on what the current situation is. And asking yourself is this draft class so good that it's unlikely it will be as good when Eli retires a year or two later is a legitimate question which they have to address. Much is at stake based on that decision, do they risk it and trade for several picks to stack other positions, or they decide it's not worth the risk and they have to get a QB right now.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

It may be stupid to dismiss Allen from the NFL in general, but it isn't for the Jets. Neither Jets fans nor the local media will tolerate another project QB with accuracy issues. They will boo him and rip him apart in the media.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

That's a good analysis, but I don't see the Giants going that way.

It's an old-timey organization with an old-timey GM currently. As opposed to rebuilding, the Giants going to try prying this window open with Eli. To keep this window open, they'll need an immediate impact guy like Chubb (or Barkley). That would leave the Jets in position to get, at worst, second dibs on the QB pile, which would make us all happy.

In a month, we'll find out which way they go!

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

My bad. I was speaking single season, not career, but that was wrong too. I'm obviously confusing it with another stat I saw a couple of weeks ago. Even so, do you see Allen's, Rosen's or Darnold's names on that list?

I was thinking of his having the top completion percentage each of the last two seasons.

I also spent over an hour adding QB rankings from the last two seasons, but inadvertently hit the wrong key and lost it all in this edit. Rather than spend the time re-typing it, I'll simply add some links below where you and the others who trash Mayfield and think Allen is better can see for yourselves where Mayfield ranks against all of the top 7 QBs in this class. He blows them all away consistently.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2016-leaders.html
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-leaders.html
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/records-player-passing.html

#230 NCJetsfan, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  11. NCJetsfan

I think you're definitely right about the type of organization the Giants are, maybe right about what the Giants will do, and maybe about Gettleman too, but imo if they were going to try to pry this window open, why would they trade JPP? Maybe more than any other team, the Giants have shown how important pass rushers are, and that has been an emphasis for them for years. If they're trying to get to and win a SB, why would they trade their best pass rusher? Even though Chubb's a great prospect as an edge rusher, he's just that, a prospect. Most edge rushers can take a year or two to really start producing in the NFL.

The article I read said that they traded him to clear some cap space. What do they need the cap space for? Did they not have room to sign their draft picks? FA is mostly over, at least in terms of bigger names. Are they gonna go on a spending spree now?

It's definitely going to be interesting!

12. NCJetsfan

The other big issue is that even if that draft class is as good or even better than this one, the chances that the Giants will be drafting in the top 5 at that time are slim and none. They'll probably be drafting in the teens at a minimum, and more than likely in the 20s. They'll have zero chance of trading up.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Giants have good ownership and a pretty solid organization with Gettleman in charge. There ownership did a few dumb things like hiring Ray Handley and McAdoo but they were smart enough to get out from under both of them real fast. I have no clue what they are going to do but it wouldn't surprise me if Buffalo is picking right in front of us and they get Chubb and a QB.

14. You may end up being right about all of this. If anyone should be able to recognize that it's the jets as they have spent more time w. him since August than any other NFL team. If they take him you know they have to feel pretty good about his accuracy knowing full well about what just happened w. Hack.

I just got a funny feeling all this accuracy talk is gonna go by the wayside once this kid gets his feet underneath him. That's not to say he has some other issues he needs to improve on to be a top end QB but he's not far off at all from being very accurate. His footwork needs work but unlike Hack it's not the entire drop snap to release..Allen has a good initial drop from center, it's just the very top of the drop & the release where he tends to rush. He's not gonna need a whole year to learn that frankly..a good QB coach will get that fixed by mid point of TC..same thing goes for touch on throws.That's not to say I think he should be starting year 1..I just think the accuracy talk may end up actually being one of Allen's STRENGTHS when all is said & done.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Lots of information here; please add one that shows the multiplier of "Degree of Difficulty."

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there is 0 way to predict that. not a single person would have thought the giants would be drafting 2nd overall right now and yet, they are

17. LF911SC

Of course its nonsense. I keep saying I get why any of the two would be picked. You keep telling us why one should be picked over the other. I give up

18. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

If you were the president of the Giants, what would you bet on? Drafting in teens or top 5? They have to make a decision based on probablity.
    Imo, the best thing for them would be to draft a QB this year as things stand right now because the probability they will a) have a high pick next season and b) have a chance to draft a high tier prospect like this year is slim.

19. LF911SC

Jet fans on a message board will whine and cry whether Allen or Mayfield is the pick. Sitting in the stands none of us will boo and rip either until or if they bust. Big mistake fans on a board make is thinking theyre indicative of what fans outside of board/talk radio fans think.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

For those of you who like to guess about Wonderlic scores while you're guessing about everything else related to the QB position, here's a ranking by those who make a living guessing at such things:

"The Top 5 Quarterbacks in the 2018 Draft
    The Wonderlic prop is specifically for the five quarterbacks at the top of the draft class. These were the odds that were first posted earlier today:

Here's the whole article: https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/article/bet-qb-wonderlic-scores

It's usually not a good idea to bet against the house.