Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

But he also was thought of as a possible number 1 QB, maybe even overall at one point. Mayfield has been pretty much the 4th or lower rated QB just about every season hes been discussed.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is a reason why Mayfield is #1 overall rated player in NCAA this year and has been top 4 for 3 years in a row, improving every year. You will not find a better College QB in this draft. The things that Rosen and Darnold have going for them in that they are two years younger and have great size. Plus they were also outstanding College players in major conferences. Hence they will likely remain top two prospects. Allen is the one that falls behind, because he basically got amazing athleticism going for him, but without major accomplishments in NCAA, which is a very significant item. Plus he is a year older than Rosen and Darnold. Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield all have question marks, but are top 10 talents based on accomplishments. Allen is likely a mid-late first rounder based on size and athleticism.

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  3. LF911SC

The list proves how little this means in the grand scheme of things.

Screens, bubbles, short one read passes vs a pro offense, i would expect this. All the pro set QBs are on the bottom of the list, all the spread one read guys on top. Shocking

Red Menace and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jackson #3 despite the worst line out of any of the QBs coming in. Mayfield has a top 3 lineman and a great TE to throw to. Hard to find a stat against Mayfield tho.

LF911SC and Big Cat like this.
  5. LF911SC

And the reason no one has Mayfield going 1 in the draft to a team that beeds a QB? The reason pretty much no one has him rated above the 4th best QB is? Youre trying to hard if youre telling people that he the #1 overall rated player in the NCAA for the year, top 4, 3 years in a row.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

How do you get pressured on a bubble screen?

7. LF911SC

You dont, you complete the pass and pump up your numbers though

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I would’ve been perfectly content with Jackson on a trade down or trade back into the first but doesn’t seem to be an option anymore with the aggressive move. Someone in the mid first (Baltimore??) is going to be very happy.

FJF likes this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I cannot see Mayfield being the apple of Macc's eye and the reason for teh trade up. I know a lot of you guys dont wanna hear it but Im almost convinced Macc loves Allen. Also Rosen. If Allen and Rosen were both there when we pick, I htink macc is going Allen 85%, Rosen 15%. Mayfield no chance

Attackett and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There could not have been a serious discussion in prior years, as he didn't even declare. When it came to serious discussions this year, he was always a first rounder, and more often than not top 10 guy, typically 3d or 4th QB after Rosen and Darnold. I actually agree these two are higher, because they are two years younger and bigger and also had very good top division careers, but Baker is still a top 10 talent and is highly rated in most discussions.

ColoradoContrails and LF911SC like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Didn't he pick Hachenberg for that exact reason of great size and athletic ability in spite of 55% passing and got burned? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... He did not have to spend 3d overall then though. I have a hard time imagining he goes with the same exact philosophy with 3d pick in the draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The reason is that there are two guys with better size, two years younger, who also had great careers in major schools. Mayfield is right there with them though precisely because of his consistent accomplishments. He is in top 5 in most mocks and I doubt too many having him lasting past top 10. The only other guy is Allen, who is there because of his size and atheticism, and not actual achievements.

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I dont
    It's an accurate predictor. Dumb qb's have a harder time grasping complexities on offense and defense.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's not an accurate predictor because it doesn't predict NFL success: "The factors that do appear important—height, Wonderlic score, and 40 yard dash times—do not appear to have an impact on future NFL performance."

http://daveberri.weebly.com/uploads/6/1/3/8/61387427/2011berrisimmonsjpa.pdf

15. forevercursed

For Quarterbacks it absolutely does. You'd be hard pressed to find a recent 20 and under wonderlic QB to have a succesful career. Has any won a Super Bowl? Now granted you also need the physical skills. Rarely do you see a low wonderlic paired with low skills and success. You can see very intelligent nfl dissapointments all the time due to physical limitations (Fitzpatrick, Penny) it doesnt matter if they know what to do if they can't get the ball there

16. LF911SC

Agreed, think he's going top ten. Its not that I don't like him or would be against drafting him. It's more to a respond to being called a moron by a singular idiot because I said I believe Rosen and Darnold are the top 2 and viewed that way by most.

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

didn't greg mcelroy have a crazy high score?

18. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

So I just saw a mock draft that was shown on Undisputed today, it was put together by Klatt:
    1. Darnold, 2. Barkley 3. Mayfield 4. Chubb 5. Ward 6. Allen (Bills) 8. Rosen (Arizona)
    I would be okay with this. However, I think the Giants are gonna trade their pick for 3 tons of gold if they decide not to go for a QB.
    Oh, and Sharpe said the Jets shouldn't take Mayfield because he has small hands.

19. forevercursed

Yes. But it didn't matter how well he grasped the game. The physical skills just werent there in the least bit

GasedAndConfused likes this.