Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Wait hold on a second. How did the other 3 show they were 'great' in college compared to Allen?

The next time Rosen wins a game in cold weather will be his first. He literally did not Win a game on the road this season, and his career road performances have been very poor. Also has concussion issues, and red flags on coaching and attitude.
    Darnold got destroyed in his bowl game, and has a major hitch in his throwing motion. He will need development for sure.
    How were they 'great' college QB's?

Mayfield was the only real successful QB in college out of the four, and Allen arguably played better than him in Senior Bowl on level playing field.

I don't see Allen as some great risk when compared to the other QB's.. They all carry some level of risk.
    Most analysts have him going top 5 for a reason.

#881 BacktoQueens, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Some fair points. The only things I would push back on is scanning the field and screen passes. For one his line is crap he rarely had time to scan the field. Also Wyoming's offense didn't many screen calls, it one of the reason his CMP% is so low. There were just not enough easy throws built in the offense. Lastly, he did get hot in his final 2 games, the Potato and Senior Bowl.

3. legler82

To Wyoming he was a great QB. He brought them to back to back Bowl games; something they hadn't experienced in decades. Something they will probably not experience for a long time now that he is gone.

4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Tks for posting. I have to be honest, I initially was an Allen fan. I watched some of his games and loved the throws he made. Told my kids we needed to get this guy, but it was after I watched all of his games (I could find) that the luster came off for me. He misses too many easy throws. Too many are low at wr’s feet. There were some games where his line failed him and he just crumbled under pressure. Yes he does make some absolutely amazing throws... but truthfully so do the other top prospects. Mayfield to be fair, makes far more of them, and doesn’t make nearly as many poor decisions. I also don’t see enough throws by Allen where he is throwing with anticipation. This is what separates the brady/Bree’s from other qbs. Rosen and mayfield do this well imo. Overall, I can’t say I hate Allen as a prospect. I don’t. I hate him a top 10 NFL pick. He certainty is worth the risk, just not where the Jets are picking imo.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This would be the best possible thing that could ever happen? It would give the rookie a chance to grow on the bench. Then we can tag and trade teddy next year.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Or give him a new contract if he has played that well :rolleyes:

Imagesrdecieving and stinkyB like this.
  7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The only QB that matters to me that I know Mac would do cartwheels for if he's at 3 is Rosen. All the others are below his level, afaic.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He was horrible in the Senior Bowl during his predetermined allotted time. He demanded to go back in the game and improved because he saw substantially more than any other QB.

White didn’t have that luxury and looked great to open the game.

Cidusii and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a stretch, saying "NFL caliber talent"...none of them are yet NFL players. And they were all playing in unfamiliar schemes with unfamiliar teammates, so they weren't playing to their top capabilities in most cases. The game was still slower than it will be in the pros.

And getting a QB to throw less hard may seem easier to fix, but if he's played his whole that way, it won't change overnight, especially under duress.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I've based most of my opinion on Allen on what I've seen. I'm not an expert, and have acknowledged that you do probably know more than me - I value your opinions - but what my eyes tell me, coupled with what I've read which in large part echoes what I've seen, is that he's got accuracy problems, and historically that's not easy to fix. The QBs like that who HAVE succeeded, usually were on teams that took advantage of their strengths and minimized the need to accuracy, and they had other attributes they used to offset their shortcoming in accuracy. Perhaps Allen can too, but that's a big risk to take when he's never shown he can overcome it before.

12. ColoradoContrails

In all honesty - serious question - do you think it's possible that the reason they didn't call more screens was because Allen just couldn't complete them Based on his really poor accuracy on short throws, isn't this possible?

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, but I guess it depends upon one's definition of "project." IMO Allen and Jackson are definite "projects." They have a LOT to work on and will need to sit for a year at a minimum, and maybe two. Darnold is a bit of a project, has several things to work on and may need to sit for a year. He has the least starting experience of any of the top 5 QBs. Rosen and Mayfield are more pro ready but both have issues they can work on. No QB is perfect, not even Lock, and they all had issues that they need to work on entering the NFL. The difference is that Rosen could start day one, and Mayfield may be ready by mid-season, but it wouldn't hurt either to sit for a year.

NJJets20, NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Perhaps "project" isn't the best or right term. I just think he needs to work on his accuracy and reading Ds/decision making.

He wouldn't be able to start day 1 for the Jets because he sucks at short passes and that's what the WCO is all about.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Nothing says Macs done here. He may reaquire some some of those second rounders through other deals.

As others have said though, second round picks generally don’t work out for us.

jilozzo likes this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

See, everyone else doesn't watch games and solely reads box scores. But ask a simple question and some statistics come your way about somebody else you never mentioned. Forget it man, we're all in over our heads here.

#896 Walt White, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He could also trade down next year assuming he hasn't been fired by then. ;)

Jets81 likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Oh, and yes, our roster is lean, but find the right QB and suddenly a fires lit to protect them and get them weapons.

There should be more balance than that, but it looks like the route we’re going.

19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who's gonna trade down at this point though, unless the Browns take their QB at 1 and Barkley goes to the Giants they're probably not trading out of 4. They'd either go QB-Barkley/Chubb or Barkley-QB. I don't see why the Giants trade out of 2 unless they're just looking for an excuse not to take a QB and even then I don't think they'd want to trade down past 6-7.

20. legler82

It's a stretch to say there's not NFL caliber talent at the Senior Bowl. There's more NFL talent at the Senior Bowl than any other college football game. It's certainly the most Allen has ever played with and against his entire football life. With regards to the other stuff, like I said before had he stunk it up most of his haters would have been all over him. Since the opposite happened, it's the Senior Bowl lacks NFL talent and it's watered down. That week and game was huge for him just as it was for Wentz. He had to show he can play along side and against the big boys.