Projecting the 2006 compensatory picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ferguson only started five games, and he is also a former seventh round draft pick if that factors in at all. There's little chance that we're getting any compensation for him.

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The original draft pick doesn't mean anything.... It's supposed to be weighed most heavilly on how large a contract they signed. The other stuff, like playoff appearances and the like don't mean as much.

In the body of this, he explains that players who signed "similar" contracts cancel out, and the contracts that the players the Jets lost are in no way comparable to the guys we signed, so that is something of a contradiction, at least the way I read it.

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

man i didnt try to steal his credit. never said i wrote anything

4. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

another third would help sooooooo much.

5. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

That guy gets damn close to nailing those comp picks. I'd be surprised if we didn't get one for Kareem McKenzie. Maybe the guy forgot about him or something. But he's usually pretty spot on with these predictions.

6. Miguel

Miguel New Member

I never said that you were trying to steal his credit. I said that you should have given him credit. Big difference. Saying that you got it from another forum does not give any credit to Adamjt13. It is easy to tell that Adamjt13 puts a lot of work into his projection, therefore, he should get the credit for it.

7. Miguel

Miguel New Member

I can't. I can not recall an instance where a team received more comp picks than the net loss of qualifying free agents. A recent example of the Jets' situation is Jacksonville in 2003 where Jacksonville lost 3 free agents (two of whom - Kevin Hardy and Renaldo Wynn, signed good sized contracts) but because the Jaguars signed 2 free agents the Jaguars received one comp pick. No layman can explain how the comp pick system works. All we can do is look at past history and use that for a basis for a projection.

8. Ikeyman3

Ikeyman3 New Member

Miguel I know you also put together the cap credit #'s as well.

How do you earn extra cap credit? and how did you calculate those #'s?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the work you do with the cap.

9. Miguel

Miguel New Member

I do not put together the cap credits. Adamjt13 tells me what the numbers are.

http://www.nflfans.com/patriotstalk...forum=100&thread_id=56686&mesg_id=56686&page=
    explains the most common way.

Another way is for a player to return signing bonus money to the team.
    I do not.
    Thanks for the very kind words.

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Hey, welcome back! Been a while since we heard from you. You're usually the one who posts this thing. I've been waiting to see it.

11. Miguel

Miguel New Member

Well, In 2004 I made a bet with some of the posters on this board about the Patriots/Jets game in Giants stadium. If the Jets won, I would have sent money to TGG.Com. When the Patriots won, money was supposed to be sent to the Bread of Life, a food pantry. Well, as far as I could tell, there were a couple of posters who did not fulfill their agreement so I decided to take a break from this forum.

12. thshadow

thshadow Member

For those of us (like me) hoping to get more than 1 pick because the guys we lost were so much better than who we picked up, he said:
    I don't know the contracts of these guys, but I'd guess that he matched Blaylock with McKenzie, Legree with Ferguson, and Gardner with Becht.

It's possible that a team (like us) that lost 1 more player than it signed has never received more than 1 compensatory pick. If so, then there's no reason to expect us to get more than 1 pick.

13. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I don't see why people are getting upset, the fact that the Jets would be getting an extra third rounder is nothing short of tremendous. I wouldn't even start to think that Adam forgot Kareem or anything of the sort, this is what he does. If that's what he believe will occur, I have utmost faith in him.

14. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I can see Blaylock cancelling out Ferguson, Gardner cancelling out Becht. I would think that Legree wouldn't do any more than reduce what we get for McKenzie, perhaps to a 5th or 6th rounder. I really doubt we'd be lucky enough to get a 3rd for Jordan. If I had to guess, and it's only an uninformed guess, I'd say we'll probably get a 4th(Jordan) and a 6th(McKenzie).

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

That was an incredibly shitty thing for some jerks to do. I would not mind seeing some names..... but if you don't want to go there, that is understandable. Please don't take that out on the rest of us though.... that would be sort of unfair in it's own way too, don't you think?

And since I have not given you the much deserved kudo's for this work, along with Adam, I'd like to do so now.... outstanding stuff, and VERY much appreciated. I do hope you post more often here.... I for one would be very grateful, and thanks. :beer:

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Damn, TJ. You are an outstanding ass kisser. Bravo. It's a pleasure to see a master at work.

17. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

No one in this entire thread mentioned that we signed Ty Law as well.

Even though he is no longer with us next year, he still cancels out a huge chunk of what we lost.

I doubt we even get a 3rd.

18. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Apparently Ty Law and Jay Fiedler don't count because they were cut by their previous teams?

19. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 New Member

That is correct. When the NFL announces the comp picks, it also lists the qualifying players signed and lost by the teams that got comp picks. The NFL plainly states, "the number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four." So if the Jets signed three qualifying players and lost four, they would get one comp pick. Their second added pick, if they get one, would be one of the non-compensatory picks in the seventh round that fill out the 32 extra picks the NFL awards.

And to answer a few questions, guys such as Toby Gowin, Jason Glenn and Ty Law do not count in the equation. Gowin was cut by the Falcons and didn't even play this season, Glenn signed too late and for too little money, and Law had been cut by the Patriots.

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

what about Mckenzie who started every game for the giants does he factor in the compensation?