Projecting the 2006 compensatory picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 7, 2006.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

http://mb3.scout.com/ftfydraftfrm1.showMessage?topicID=5810.topicthere the link i forgot to add it

#1 hydro51, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

well heres a projection i got from another site . (nothing guranteed )

3. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

I dont see how we only get 1 comp pick

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

we would get 2 a 3rd and a 7th

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I guess they forgot McKenzie, who will at worst get us a 4th round pick.

6. Electric Cedric 34

Electric Cedric 34 New Member

If we get another 3rd, that'd be perfect.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

yea i think your right about that

8. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Agreed..... Jordan should be a third, McKenzie and Ferguson should amount to a fourth I would think. Becht is a wash with Blaylock. Does Blaylock's value go down because he missed most of the season, I wonder?

9. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I think he is stating we lost 4 signed three. Net one pick. When contract values are close they cancel out and we only are left with comp for Jordan. If this was done by who I think, he will be right.

10. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

I hope this isn't true. Only one compensatory pick? Look at the players we signed and the players who left. There's a big difference in talent, performance, and salary. I hope we get more than just a third and a noncompensatory 7th.

11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I feel we should get

Jordan - 3rd
    McKenzie - 4th
    Furgy - 5th

All these guys started for their teams and were significantly better than the FAs we replaced them with.

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1993, I?ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with small adjustments for playing time and postseason honors. A simple method of determining for which qualifying free agents a team will be compensated is this -- for every player signed, cancel out a lost player of similar value. For example, if a team signs one qualifying player for $2 million per season and loses two qualifying players, one who got $1.8 million per season and one who got $4 million per season, the team will be compensated for the $4 million player.

If you look at the contracts that Jordan, McKenzie, Ferguson and Becht signed, we should DEFINITELY get more than one comp pick.... I would think a 3 and a 4 at a minimum. The players that we signed, with the exception of Blaylock may not even be covered by the formula.... which means we might get a third comp pick as well. I think that this guy overlooked both McKenzie (also a playoff appearance) and Ferguson.

Someone from another board has emailed the guy asking for clarification... over sight, or not?

13. lightning

lightning Active Member

Mckenzie started every game if i am correct, we should get atleast a 4

14. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

We should get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th. Ferg didn't really play much and I don't think he even took 1/2 of the snaps in Dallas... and the lack of playing time drops him down.

15. Miguel

Miguel New Member

As Adamjt13, BTW (It is bogus, IMO, to cut and paste his work without giving him credit) explained on a different forum,
    "Here are the qualifying players the Jets lost and signed --

N.Y. JETS
    Lost – LaMont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie, Jason Ferguson, Anthony Becht.
    Signed – Derrick Blaylock, Lance Legree, Barry Gardner.

Toby Gowin got cut, and Jason Glenn wasn't a true UFA.

With qualifying four players lost and three qualifying players signed, the Jets should get one comp pick, that being for Jordan. "

16. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Makes sense, but McKenzie and Ferguson got huge deals, while Blaylock, Legree and Gardner did not get deals anywhere near those.

I can see Blaylock/Legree nullifying Ferguson or McKenzie and Gardner offsetting Becht but that's about it.. However, this dude is right on most times so you can not argue with him.

Noone knows the formula, not even a lot of the teams, but this guy's track record is awesome

17. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I agree, gotta give credit where credit is due, BUT I thought picks only canceled each other out when the values were close - the Jordan, McKenzie, and Ferguson contracts far outvalued Blaylock, which was the biggest of our signings. Can you explain why they cancel each other out?

18. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I don't want to impugn his credentials, but I agree with your assessment - there should be two nice picks like a third and fourth or a third and fifth in it for us.

19. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

^^Yes. How come they can just cancel out like that? The values aren't really close. The NFL should just release this darn formula. Make things easier.

20. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Frankly, I think the entire concept of picks for losing free agents is flawed, but that's the system. I think if you lose a free agent.. TOO F'ING BAD. That's why they are a FREE AGENT.