Petty: "I'm the #1 Qb"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 15, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As Pulsejet said, your "stats" are meaningless, taken out of context, and being such a small sample size.

How about these stats:

Comp. Att. Cmp. % Yards TD INT
    123 259 47.5 1663 7 14

John Elway's 1st season. I guess he sucked too.o_O

Will-I-Am-Not, PulseJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i agree they should be playing, the expectations should be tempered,greatly.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yikes. John Elway was the first overall pick out of Stanford, a pro system. Bryce Petty went in the 4th and came out of a system that's produced almost no successful NFL QBs. Growing pains are expected from most rookie QBs and when that person goes first overall it's probably because talent evaluators see the forest through the trees. A little different when you're a guy that was questioned as an NFL QB before he even left college. That's a terrible comparison but I understand that you need to reach.

Jets69 and FJF like this.
  4. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

Let me add to that.

Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int
    95 197 48.2 1043 6 3.0 9

(Hint: Hes already been mentioned here before)

Ben Roethlisberger in his 3rd year threw 18TDs and 23INTS.
    Drew Brees 3rd year had 11TD and 15INTS.

Like...you need to know what you got before you throw it away and 4 legit games wont really give you much in terms of evaluation. Last year in Pettys starts Marshall was mailing it in, Ben Ijalana was a starter, Decker was gone, Mangold was gone, Winters was out. It was a mess. Our team is still a mess but man, you gotta give the kid a better shot at making some noise before you move on from him.

Its clear that McCown doesnt really mean much to the development of our young WR core. His experience leaves much to the imagination and just because he knows a system doesnt mean he can operate it well. It just seems like we are kicking the tires.

#64 BrooklynJet97, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  5. ColoradoContrails

How many pro QBs are there from Mississippi State - besides Dak Prescott, another 4th round pick?

Are you really saying that a guy who has played football his whole life, in a number of systems from PeeWee through college, can't learn a new system? Petty has made strides and has shown he's getting it. Is he an Elway or a FQB/ Doubtful, but he's certainly better than what you seem to give him credit for. And I'd still honestly like to hear why you don't think he's very good. The scrubs you say he did well against sure shut down Hackenberg who supposedly is a FQB-in waiting.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous! You haven't seen shit. You saw him last year playing having had little practice, crap game plans and with half the team dogging it. People like you are ridiculous with your pronouncements

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

actually hack went straight thru the same defense petty was cutting up before he got hurt.

Jets69 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

You're right, but you're wasting your time with knuckleheads like that. They think they know everything and after having viewed a young player for a game or two they make permanent pronouncements about players as if they never grow or improve.

9. ColoradoContrails

Hey, I'm willing to listen to reasoned arguments. I'm not an expert and that's one of the reasons I post here, to learn. But throwing stats up that are taken out of context, without regard to the conditions Petty played in doesn't prove anything. All I know is that whenever Petty is in the game the team seems to pick it up.

Ralebird and NY Jets68 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I totally agree, but that poster and some others here don't give reasoned arguments. Instead, they are contemptuous and make snide/sarcastic comments. Life's too short to deal with people like that.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've never understood that. It ain't lying if you can back it up, but it sure can be bragging. Boasting has nothing to do with whether or not what you're saying is true.

12. ColoradoContrails

Well maybe in the UK bragging means something different, but here it means over-stating your accomplishments, a form of lying.

Jets69 likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Maybe this will quell your whining:

PPG when Petty didn't start: 19
    PPG with Petty starting: 11

YPG when Petty didn't start: 331
    YPG with Petty starting: 324

First downs per game, no Petty: 18
    First downs per game, Petty: 18

I don't have time to do all the math but yards per play under Petty was slightly lower than yards per play not under Petty. This also doesn't take into account the Pats game where Petty played for about a nanosecond, wouldn't be fair to him.

So if your argument is "every time he came in the offense picked up" you don't know what you were looking at. And if you want to bitch about the sample size, remember you are the one that brought up how the offense looked under him last year. And if you are going to use this preseason as an example then I don't know if we can continue this conversation because he was playing against third stringers and the guys in the unemployment line.

And if you want to go past the stats, that's fine too. I saw a guy that had terrible accuracy, made poor decisions and couldn't go through his progressions. And that's not to say a young quarterback can't get better, but the point here is people in this thread are making it seem like we are suppressing some hidden gem in Petty when in reality there's 0 basis for that. Hell I'd prefer Petty start too, but i'm not going to sit here and pretend like it's because he's good.

Hopefully this is a reasoned enough argument for you @NCJetsfan

All Gas No Shake, Jets69 and FJF like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

In his first p.s. game he did play against scrubs, but in his second, the opposition was better.

Limited sample size is still valid - it was YOU who first mentioned last year's stats. But if you're going to ignore that Petty was nearly shunned from any practice with the first team until the game prior to him starting last year, and by that time the team had basically quit, I agree, we may as well not continue discussing this. I'll let things be proved out on the field.

15. BroadwayAaron

Petty was playing against guys on the Giants that are out of the league today. His second game was more of the same. I don't think he played against a single starter all preseason. So I'm not sure what you think you saw there.

I agree, I'll let things be proved on the field.

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well that certainly makes more sense! Over here bragging is the same as boasting.

Jets69 likes this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I can't wait until he's cut so we can end this topic when he's out of the league in 3 years...You talk about him like he's Peyton Manning in his prime and the Jets who need a franchise QB more then any other team in NFL history are holding him back .No QB who's played for the Jets back up or otherwise has ever gone on to have sucess and become another teams franchise QB or even a competent QB.

And Chad Pennington's Dolphins run doesn't count he had success with the Jets.

Jets69 likes this.
  18. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Probably end up like McElroy, Simms, Ratliff, and the long list of Jets backups that never amounted to anything. Problem is, the reason the fanbase finds themselves rooting for and wanting these guys to start is because our QB situation constantly sucks; and I think everyone is praying we find a diamond, in the pile of shit that has been our franchise. Hard not to root for a guy like Petty over McCown when so desperate, meanwhile no one in Oakland is calling for their backup QB.

Jets69 likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Screw Petty & the Jets, can we get back to the ("Mahomes!") idolatry.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And I can't wait to prove you and all you Petty haters wrong. This organization is a Qb graveyard and history proves that. Any young Qb that is starting his NFL career would be wise to steer clear of this franchise presently. If you're old and looking to cash out, The Jets are the team to ride into the sunset with a ridiculous contract aka: severance package. This team has proven over and over again they are the most Qb STUPID franchise in the history of the NFL.

The worst thing that could have possibly happened to Petty was that he got drafted by the Jets. He would have been much better off not getting drafted at all and working his way on to a team via the UDFA route.

Hell, some of you act as if this franchise actually has produced all-pro Qb's on a semi-regular basis. There are even some who think Hacc is a FQB but needs another 5-7 years to develop. Qb blindness is evidently contagious.

Petty is facing long odds, but that kid has the drive to overcome even the idiocy that is the NYJ FO and CS. No Qb who has played for the Jets except for 4 have been worth a damn. You can blame that on the players, but you can also look at the lousy systems and coaches they had to play under. Petty played with a team that quit in 2016 but he's responsible for their lousy performance? Check. Petty hasn't gotten more than a precious few reps with the ones during the 2017 preseason but he sucks? Check.. Petty outplayed both Hacc and McClown during the preseason but has to wonder why he's not the back up Qb on a trainwreck of a team? Got it.. Message sent? We don't want you Bryce. GTFOH

There are even some naive people that think Petty got a fair shake this preseason too. Whatever floats your Hacc boat...I wish you luck waiting for Hacc's breakout season. Perhaps 2019, 2020, or even 2021. In other words, don't hold your breath..

Petty needs to get as far away from this franchise as humanly possible. I'd rather see the Kid play in Canada if that what it takes to get the hell outta here. If he ever manages to play against the Jets, I hope he drops 400yds and 5tds on them in the first half. I also hope both Macc and Blowes are there to feel it too.

The Jets deserve what they've gotten from the Qb position. They've certainly earned it..

#80 Cman68, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017