Would you hire Curtis Martin to replace McCagnan next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Feb 27, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Sure, let the Jets hire more inexperienced personnel to run their operations like so many times before. A lot good it got them.

Peebag likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No.

TonyFtLaud and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Herm Edwards? Why? He's just a cliche machine. He doesn't possess any real knowledge or leadership that I've seen. He was only briefly associated with the team. There has to be an intelligent former player who can handle that. What about Brick? I'd say Klecko, but don't think he has the smarts. What about Mickey Shuler, Freeman McNeil, Lance Mehl, Kyle Clifton, or other great Jets?

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

No. i don't think he could be a GM. I would love him back as a RBs coach though

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

All I know is Mac is drafting for his life. If he can't add an impact player at #6 and at least 3 starters with the rest of the draft/undrafted FAs. He's done period.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Lynch is the 49'ers GM.

Are YOU high?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How about me? Anyone wanna give me a shot at being GM? Maybe director of player personnel?

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Lynch was behind the scenes learning the ins and outs of the GM position for a few years, I think that's the difference. I'm not sure if Curtis is or has done the same.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I would sooner hire Martin to replace Matt Forte than Mike Maccagnan.

Love the guy, but no way can he just walk into the penthouse and start building a team.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'd be open to having Curtis Martin as a running backs coach or consultant. I'd welcome that with open arms. I do think teams should keep ties with their former players in one way or another. But making him GM is bit over the top.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Our new GM needs to have an innate talent for contracts and negotiations. Therefore I recommend

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  13. He wasn't that great w. X's & O's or scheme. He wouldn't really need to be for this position.

His job would be much more big picture..which I always thought he was pretty good w.. He commands respect, understands the game, has a prior relationship w. this ownership & knows how to handle the media. We're not asking him to be a miracle man w. all the answers. Just a commanding presence behind the scenes who can communicate ideas to both sides of the table, keep the organization on task..and answer the media's questions after the draft & other key dates.

I'm not sure I'd wanna go the former player route unless the player is extremely opinionated & knowledgeable within his philosophy. I'm not sure that Jets player really exists that fits this role unless Joe Willie is up for it...or we want someone like Greg Buttle(I'll pass)

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At some point, dumb posters who start dumb threads cross a threshold and realize they have no hope and just switch to blatant trolling.

I think Jethro here may be in that neighborhood.

FJF likes this.
  15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Love Curtis. Do not want him replacing McCagnan. No way.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Herm's a personable, likable sort, but I'm not sure how much respect he commands or how knowledgeable he is. I always thought he came across as a doofus, and didn't like his representing the team in the media.

I think whoever is in charge of football operations needs to be VERY smart, very knowledgeable about the game, and should have most of the answers. No one has all of the answers. I think he needs to be much more than just a commanding presence. IMO those types can be the most dangerous. We have a very clear example of a commanding presence right now who isn't very knowledgeable and is making a lot of stupid mistakes and dangerous decisions.

I think you're correct that it would be better if the man in charge of football operations is a former HC, GM, Administrator/Operations guy for a football team, rather than a former player, and the Jets may not have any former players who are up to the task, but I definitely believe that some players would be up to the task.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Who says this former player/ HC had to have played for the Jets to now run their football operations. Bottom line is this team desperately needs a smart football guy to run the team and I don't care if he played for the Timbuktu Tigers or the Jets or any other team.

I'd still make a godfather offer to Peyton and hope Eli has told him enough nice things about NJ for him to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. JetUp325

JetUp325 Member

I really don't understand the fire Macc hype. Give they guy some time to attempt to build a franchise. If the Jets regress again, Bowles should absolutely be fired, but Macc is going to be here for a little bit. You wouldn't see a GM work like this (cleaning house) if he was on the hot seat.

19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

He'd probably be good at figuring out the salary cap since he was...."THE COMPILER"

20. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

How's Phil Jackson running the Knicks working out for everyone?