Tyrod Taylo will be available

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Catfish Billy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

It sounds like Glennon is gunna command 13-15 mil a year, so there's no way that Taylor is gunna come for 14. The QB market is so incredibly weak, teams are going to have to overpay to get a competent guy out there. Now it mostly depends on the OC we bring in, but Taylor is young and he's a pretty solid QB who really hasn't had any weapons besides an injury prone Sammy Watkins. He can throw a mean deep ball... Taylor to Robby could be very exciting.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i wouldn't touch glennon for 13-15

Jonathan_Vilma and alleycat9 like this.
  3. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

It's very steep for a guy like Glennon who only has like 18 starts and hasn't played in two years. Now imagine what Tyrod is going to command?

4. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Is it steep tho? Maybe I'm doing the math wrong but with the cap raising each year, has the percentage of what the QB gets of the cap actually changed?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

What is the point of the veteran stop gap QB? It just delays the inevitable and leads to situations like the one we had with Fitz this year.

Let Hackenberg, Petty, and whomever we draft this year compete with job. If you want to bring in a Hoyer or McCown as insurance/mentorship fine.

buddapaw likes this.
  6. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

Guys, this ain't the 1980's. Teams go from worst to first all the time, or at least bad to good. No reason why we can't. If Taylor is available, we should go after him. Still young (28 for a QB is much different than 28 for a RB), proved he can start, throws a nice deep ball and doesn't turn the ball over. He's thrown 37 TD's and 12 picks the last two years. Hell, Fitz threw half that many picks in one game! Is he a franchise guy who can carry a team? No, but neither is Alex Smith, and since 2011 he's averaged 11 wins a season. Pair him with our receivers, improve the O-Line and draft either Fournette or Cook and watch how drastically our Offense improves. It wasn't his fault the Bills couldn't get past .500. This gives Hack the time to continue to develop and learn the pro game. In 2-3 years, you hand the reins to him and go from there. I DO think it is imperative that the Jets get a legit O-coordinator who is good with QB's. BTW it doesn't matter what QB's are worth, what matters is the market. It's the most important position in the sport and is paid accordingly. Any QB the Jets go after this off-season, the starting point at a minimum is $15 million annually. That's reality, folks.

#66 Joey Jett, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Chrisiue and Catfish Billy like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I've been on board for Glennon in the past, but the guy has barely played in years. 13-15 mil for him seems ridiculous

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He would ruin my hope for a suck for Sam season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

He will get it though. You can blame the Osweiler contract for that. Demand is much higher than supply.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

$10 million is about the most I'd pay for Mike Glennon. I'd go a bit more for Taylor given he's actually played recently.

I'm not against a stopgap with one of these guys that are young. There's still room for growth. We know what we're getting if we go after Cutler/Romo and there's no room for growth there.

None of these guys excite me though. But they're at least competent quarterbacks. We need at least one competent quarterback on the roster and then we can go into camp and hope Petty/Hackenberg beat out the overpaid veteran. I wouldn't have a problem with a situation like where Matt Flynn got benched for the pup.

FJF likes this.
  11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Gents, it really doesn't matter who the QB is if the dam OL is not fixed period. Having said that, I have Dr friend of mind who happens to be a Bills fan and he said TT holds the ball to long, doesn't read D well, has some accuracy issues but does throw a nice deep ball.... but I would pass. He will be two dam expensive and we need to fix other areas of the team and not fall into the same dam trap (over paying for limited skill set - BTW if he was so dam good why didn't the FISH make him a starter?) as we did with Fitz...

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I would love Taylor but it just doesn't make sense for the Bills to dump him. He's been their best QB in years. I have to believe his injury is worse than it seems to the outsiders.

I don't see why the Jets don't prod the Cousins market. I believe he is on the verge of being great.

13. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Taylor, Glennon, Garoppolo & Romo are all going to get huge free agent contracts and none of them may be worth it. This thread is specifically about Taylor, so here are my two cents.

Taylor very grew out of favor in Buffalo because he struggled to consistently move the ball and execute the offense. In days when Drew Brees is throwing for 5,000 yards every year, Taylor struggled to throw for 3,000. Part of that may be because the Bills WRs are bad and Watkins is in and out of the lineup. Part of that is also because Taylor significantly struggles with intermediate passing.

I'll pass on Taylor. I think the best options are in the draft and with a low price veteran to provide competition and hold the fort.

PulseJet, Jets69 and abyzmul like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On the verge of being great... or rubbing his head on his ceiling.

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Cousins is overrated. Now, with that said, he's better than anything we've had around here in a long while. But, the Jets shouldn't throw the amount of money at him, and the number of draft picks at Washington, that it would take to secure his services. The Redskins have been playing this just right, using the franchise tag to retain him without committing to him long term while they evaluate their options. Then there's the fact that Cousins, if he were actually on the verge of becoming great, certainly wouldn't fulfill that potential playing for this clownshow of a franchise.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While Taylor would be better than anyone the Jets currently have, that's not saying much. But the problem I see is that signing him means basically giving up on Petty/Hack, and are the Jets at that point? If not, then he becomes a roadblock, which is fine if he can become the franchise QB, but there's no guarantee of that happening, and they're going to have to pay a lot of money to get him.

If the Jets still think Petty or Hack can be the franchise QB, then they need to find a capable veteran who can push them, and who can fill in if he doesn't win the starting job, and who doesn't cost so much money that they're obligated to play him at the expense of developing Petty/Hack. Frankly, Smith may be the best option for this approach.

The other problem with signing Taylor (or Cousins), is that it might enable them to be come "just good enough", meaning, going 8-8 or just barely making the playoffs and then getting bounced, which will given them a worse draft position and eliminate being able to get the potential franchise QB in the 2108 draft. If you think Taylor can be that FQB, then it makes sense to sing him, but that's a pretty big gamble.

On balance, I'd say pass on Taylor.

PulseJet and jets_fan like this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ceiling is fair Byz but to the Jets looking to buy a franchise QB, his ceilings look vaulted.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

And corners,safteys,linebackers,QBs,pass rushers.Basiclly we need an entire team

19. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Why does anyone care what a player gets paid? Either you want the qb for the jets or you dont.

Doesn't make sense to say we want Taylor or Glennon at $13M, but not at $14M. If they end up being good, who cares about an extra million... that's not even yours.

Considering how bad the qb situation is, and has been for many years, I'm all in on any of these guys. If they need to overpay for Taylor or Glennon, sign me up.

K'OB and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is the kid I am hoping we get ....I think with the right coaching this kid can be a very good QB.

Opperative words being "right coaching".