Jets are targeting John DeFilippo for OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Rosen regressed and was injured all year and I'm not entirely sure Lamar Jackson is an NFL quarterback.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

They are both head and shoulders better than Petty or Hack could ever dream of being.

Peebag likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We'll see. Rosen is on pace to be in a similar situation to Hackenberg. Great first year and regression thereafter. Darnold is interesting but I'm wondering if he has the arm strength to be an NFL QB.

I really like Baker Mayfield but he too struggles with arm strength.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Arm strength is not an issue for Darnold. Baker Mayfield isn't even close to Darnold as an NFL prospect and he's much smaller. Darnold is probably #1 on everyone's big board after yesterday's record setting display. Too bad he's not eligible until 2018. He can make every throw and is surprisingly mobile for a kid whose 6'4 225. His accuracy, touch and ability to keep plays alive are uncanny.

Those 3 names I originally mentioned will all be off the board in the top 5 next year. It will be the next big QB class. Hack isn't in the same league as them as he's a career backup.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This. Darnold after next year will be the clear number 1 QB prospect. Has all the skills and the perfect size and hes a gamer. PLEASE lose every game next year and gimme this kid

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Back in May I posted this regarding DeShaun Watson.
    Now I can post it again but this time for Darnold.

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Karl Dorrell be the OC than Flippo.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha we're all like: "No way we want someone from the Brown Floaters coaching our team"

DeFilippo be like: "Jets? Give me a fn break".

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

when did Josh McCown ever look average? And I am most frightened with the implication that he might wind up here now. I saw him last year. Woefully inaccurate and short on poise.

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

People aren't even thinking about this. He had no real influence on Carr, and every QB he worked with sucked....

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That isn't saying much, Hackenberg is still a mystery, petty is not.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mantra: draft a QB whatever Round early late or middle till you get a keeper

Darnold very impressive ...beautiful long throws in Rose Bowl

jmho

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Darnold is most certainly a gamer, amazing to play that way as a freshman. But his mechanics are pretty bad. He needs major development there. But I would draft the kid on heart alone.

As for the OC, was DeFillipo responsible for Carson Wentz' rookie campaign? If so, his being in consideration is a good thing. It means the Jets are bringing in someone to groom Hack/Petty and believe they have something with them.

#73 PulseJet, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Yeah Wentz came from a D1-AA school and all in all didn't have a bad year. Maybe this guy could do something with Hack/Petty? Even though they are way far behind where Wentz was.

We have two project QB's and if next year is ugly (which it very well could be), the coaching staff and F.O. is probably gunna be gutted...again, so job security isn't a given either. This isn't exactly the most appealing coaching destination.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold/Rosen/Jackson, they all look great right now but we've seen this a hundred times!!The QB classes for the following year always look better than they end up.

It wasn't too long ago that people were saying, "E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith are just okay but the REAL draft classes are coming in the next couple years when Christian Hackenberg, Johnny Manziel, Bryce Petty, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, etc. etc. etc. are coming out. "

Once these QBs become the focal point, both by opposing defenses and from everyone who feels like scouting, their weaknesses come into focus a little more and most wash out. I really like Darnold, I'm not trying to say he's junk, I'm just saying that I am not going to hold my breath that the 2018 QB class will have a bunch of studs like I have done in the past and been burned on. Jackson and Rosen might not even end up in the first round

Jonathan_Vilma and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Just been reading through the last few pages of this thread and this was exactly what I was thinking the entire time.

17. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Great point. Somewhere in the draft forum is a thread "2016 is the year of the qb" that was made prior to the 2015 draft. Hell even this time last year Watson was pegged as the #1 pick of 2017 and now who knows where he'll go. A lot can change in a year.

That being said I do really like Darnold haha

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Isn't Darnold a freshman? Which would mean he wouldn't be eligible until the draft after next years draft? If he is eligible for next years draft than keeping Bowles was a great thing and we could be in prime position for him. Knowing the Jets luck though he will go back to college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk