It's too early to tell, but what do you think Petty will become?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by voltron, Dec 15, 2016.

?

What do you think Petty will become?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2016.
  1. The next Tom Brady! Legendary status!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. Gun slinger! High risk, high reward!

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Game manager! Do just enough not to lose the game!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Dual Threat! Beat you with Arms or Legs!

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Stop gap! Decent enough until we find our guy.

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  6. Average! Just some guy who can throw. Nothing special.

21 vote(s)
    36.8%
  7. A bust! Not the guy we were looking for!

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Everything about this team and organization is bad. Maybe Woodrow will take them to the UK, rename them, and then we can get a new expansion Jets owner, management, coaches, and players.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The correct answer was a pancake.

That is exactly what Suh and Wake turned our young QB into when they went through our sieve of an offensive line unblocked.

Crepes would also have been an acceptable answer.

HomeoftheJets and NYJFOREVER like this.
  3. gulbane

gulbane Member

Browning Nagel.

stinkyB and Jets69 like this.
  4. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we did not get to learn much more about him with Brandon and some of the offensive line taking the night off. This team would be better off trying to get a receiver group that plays like Cole Beasley from Dallas, people who give it their all every play, maybe then we could get a read on the kid.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Turf.

At the rate they're going, he's going to become part of the turf.

HomeoftheJets and b.reyes16 like this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I was out late Sat. so I didn't get to see the whole game. I just came home in time to see the 3rd quarter implosion. (Couldn't watch the fourth quarter.) There have been a lot of posts attesting to Petty's "strong arm." What I saw, however, in the third quarter is troubling. Petty threw two long passes, one to Anderson and one to Marshall. Both of these passes had serious float time on them allowing defenders to make a play. Unfortunately, that is not the mark of a strong arm. When you see QB's like Rothlisberger, Brady and/or Eli throw deep, the balls have minimal arc to them. He can't throw deep balls like that and expect to succeed in the NFL.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Right now he's a lawn dart.

HomeoftheJets and James Hasty like this.
  8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I was curious to see how Petty's stats after his first 3 starts compare with other NFL quarterbacks. Basically, Petty has a slightly lower completion percentage than Mariota, Carr and Bridgewater, but a better completion percentage than Winston, Goff, Geno and Sanchez. Blake Bortles got off to a fast start, as did Wentz and Dak Prescott. Petty's TD/INT ratio is a concern, but other QB's like Carr and Bridgewater had their share of picks in their first starts but have improved over time.

Bottom line is, its too soon to tell. But Petty's stats are right in the middle of this group, and we know that half of these guys are considered franchise signal callers. Also, each of these guys except Goff enjoyed a full training camp as the starter and their September games counted, unlike Petty's November starts where the Jets are out of the playoffs and half the starting lineup are either injured or checked out.

Here is the data, though the formatting sucks.

Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int​
    Bryce Petty 62 103 60.2% 655 2 4
    Jamais Winston 47 90 52.2% 678 4 3
    Marcus Mariota 61 96 63.5% 833 8 2
    Derek Carr 68 108 63.0% 588 3 3
    Teddy Bridgewater 54 87 62.1% 655 0 3
    Blake Bortles 65 97 67.0% 668 3 6
    Jared Goff 51 95 53.7% 509 4 3
    Carson Wentz 66 102 64.7% 769 5 0
    Dak Prescott 66 99 66.7% 767 1 0
    Geno Smith 55 102 53.9% 801 3 6
    Mark Sanchez 49 83 59.0% 606 4 2​

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

There is just something about Petty from everything i've seen and heard from him and other people that has me sold on him. I just get this vibe that he will overcome his current limitations.

I'm probably wrong knowing the history of the New York Jets and QB's, but hopefully I'm right.

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think he is in the same league as all the other starting QB's drafted in the last few years. He deserves the shot to develop into the Jets franchise QB. And if he cant improve the Jets can hand the keys to Hack.

JCLA likes this.
  11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I like petty alot. When he got hit by those two guys from Miami he could have been pissed at his oline he could have made a big deal about it. But he got up like a true professional. He's got guts that's for sure. Mentally he's what u want for a qb. If he can bring up the other aspects of his game to where his head and maturity are we have a gamer for sure.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. CalmDownJetFans

CalmDownJetFans New Member

I really do not understand the knock on Petty so quickly. I've seen someone with the ability to make something out of nothing, which is a rare trait. He has been getting killed behind this line but still standing tall in the pocket. This is a guy who had one week of practice with he ones. I think he is really showing some signs of true potential, I just hope the fan base and coaching staff give him a chance.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Most of the knocks on Petty came from Cameron Wake.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm in total agreement. I just have this gut feeling that he's gonna work out.

15. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

It's really hard not to like Petty. Kid competes and is clearly very talented. The offense is more exciting to watch with him throwing the ball more than 5 yards too. With that said, it'd be a lie to say he hasn't struggled, but it would also be a lie to say he hasn't hit the turf an incredible amount of times.

I think I'd be content going into next season with a competition between Petty and Hackenberg. Both are still projects but Petty looks like with a complete offseason, he can be a good player. Just needs more reps. Both he and Hack do. Can't be splitting reps 4 ways like last year. Let the two of them battle it out to see who prevails, and then sign a vet to back the winner up if we're not comfortable going into the season with the loser as the backup

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'll say this about Petty, that kid is one tough SOB. Toughest Qb this team has had since KennyO.

17. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I saw progression from the previous week to this week. You could see he was going through his reads and spreading the ball around more. He has an arm capable enough of stretching the field. I also like that he is a tough guy that can run out of the pocket when needed. He has the tools.

I am really worried about the sacks. Our O-line is playing bad, but is it just them or all down to the protection schemes he is calling out? i mean most of the time there are 5 v 3 without double teams so having open runners is a big problem.

He has heart. He hits some very nice passes, in stride, out patterns, soft touch passes and deep. Two things I would like to see him do in the last two games is get up to speed of the game for the deep passes. And also learn to throw the ball away. Not take the hit and the loss of yards.

Under a decent line i feel he could do well. If we had Mangold in there now calling out the protection i feel he would be doing better. We need some veteran leadership in that line.

Im all for Petty at the moment. He looks better than Fitzpatrick and Geno already in my eyes.

ColoradoContrails and PulseJet like this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We've had a number of guys who show up looking like they can do something, and then the Jets happen.

The idea that a QB is just going to pop up and save the day, whether it's a 4th round pick or the 5th overall pick... That's fairytale shit.

I can't remember ever seeing a team that's bumbling around in the dark with crap for an offensive line and just get saved by some QB. It doesn't happen.

I like Petty, but he's already in a losing situation.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Toughest SOB I ever met.

FJF, HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That being said, with Winters now on IR, the last thing we need is Air Gailey. Our Oline is in tatters and although Petty is cast iron tough, I don't think he can continue to get blasted like he did last Saturday.