What do we LIKE about the Jets right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Nov 30, 2016.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Makes no sense. Guy was arguably one of our top 5 players last year. This year he's been awful. It'd be nice to get some kinda consistency from anyone year to year.

2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I am not defending Rex Ryan here, but when he was the HC, he had quite the same issue with Sherry Rhodes. It seems Sherry was more interested in smoking pole and being an actor. Rex knew Sherry was a great talent that he was unable to motivate. He had tried everything and nothing had worked. So finally he decided to bench Sherry for the last few games of the 2009 season and that worked. Sherry was one of the Jets best defensive players in the 2009 playoffs.

I mention this in an attempt to compare and contrast Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles. Rex Ryan was essentially willing to stop at nothing to get the most out of a player that he knew was lazy. Now doesn't that seem like a good solution to Pryor? We all know this guy has much better game than he is giving. It seems like he is dogging it as bad as any players on the team this season. It would be so easy for Todd Bowles to bench Calvin Pryor and put in a young buck like Rontez Miles. Maybe, just maybe, Pryor would learn that he'd better get his a$$ in gear because he was not guaranteed a job?

So what does Todd Bowles do? He does NOTHING. That's his response to players that are clearly not giving their all. He just looks stoic, almost retarded on the sideline in frustration that his players are not playing up to snuff.

This is why I am very satisfied with the solution of firing Todd Bowles. Bowles is supposed to be a Parcells disciple. I KNOW this lack of action is something that Parcells never would have stood for. Hell, even Herm Edwards was willing to make changes to motivate the team. This is something that our HC is either unwilling or not smart enough to even think of?

Either way this is a guy that is so far away from being anything like Bill Parcells, it isn't even funny. This is a guy that very clearly has not grown as a HC, but regressed in his second year. The ONLY solution to this is firing him.........

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I know, right? Not much has changed. Macc could even go with 4 QBs again in his quest for a good one.

4. Footballgod214

I DID write that. A big reason Petty isn't playing right now is the players DO NOT want o waste their time with a rookie QB. It won't be any different next season. You do realize the locker room is 100.0000% behind Fitz, right? There may be a reason for this.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. your wr argument seems forced, i don't think anyone is upset with the production from the wr corps since decker went out.

2. you would support bringing in a new h.c. this offseason and possibily firing mac after next season? that would be a messy situation having a coach 1 year in and shopping for a g.m., don't you think?

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Every QB is a rookie in the beginning of their career. Fitz is at the end of his career, the team needs to get younger at some important positions, QB included.

They have a good group of WR that need to be developed, and should develope in conjunction with their young QB.

If the veterans who are being payed well don't want to be bothered with helping a young QB then they should be sent packing at the end of the year.

I don't know if the team is 100% behind Fitz as I'm not in the locker room, but Marshal did say that the reason he didn't say too much while Petty started against the Rams is because he understood the young QB had a lot in his plate.

That sounds like a guy who understands the situation and is willing to support Petty.

As far as Petty not playing, I don't know why he's not playing, lack of coaching foresight, he's a scrub, I honestly don't know, and I'm not going to try and guess.

I'm going with the flow for the rest of the season and enjoy the rest of the NFL games.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

We have a group of Vets who are on there last legs, last shot at the POs, last shot at ever getting a ring. D'Brick dropped out, but we still have Fitz, Mangold, Marshall, Harris, Forte, even Decker (and Revis to a degree). If Bowles starts Petty, he is telling these guys "Sorry, you had a good run, now give it a rest. You ain't winning a ring, ever. Get over it".

Yes, we have youth in many positions, but we also have 10yr vets who are playing for a ring.

8. Mainejet

This is completely ridiculous. So what are you saying? Because firing Bowles could potentially create a messy situation, that Woody shouldn't do it?

Well, let me ask you.....WTF is the alternative? Todd Bowles has regressed horribly between his 1st and 2nd years coaching. He is currently on par to have an identical record to Rich Kotite's 1st season in town. Now I ask you, would you rather have Bowles be our HC next season?! And watch this guy ruin the team even further? So you and the fan base can watch this team go from 10-6 to 3-13 to 1-15?? Or maybe 0-16???

The point is, regardless of what kind of stressful situation this MIGHT create for certain fans, it is still the VERY right thing to do..........

9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Your use of ellipses and caps suggest you're extremely uptight. You also seem to think your smarter than the entire Jets coaching staff, as well as Mike Maccagnan. Do yourself a favor and go get laid asap.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think by now the vets should realize we aren't winning any rings this year.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Playing for a ring on the Jets the rest of this year? They need to be in the concussion protocol.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

we were talking about Fitz starting next season over Petty

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And I'm hoping Macc moves Petty during the offseason. They've already made up their minds about Petty no matter the bullshit that oozes from Todd's mouth. The kid never stood a chance here once Hack was drafted. Hopefully, Macc can package him with another tradeable asset assuming we have any.

Atlanta traded Farve because they didn't see anything in him. Worked out pretty good for Farve. Maybe the Jets can do the right thing and trade/cut Petty this offseason. Macc can then slide his pet project into the #2 spot and look like the smartest guy in the room for taking Hack so high in the draft.

#FreePetty!

#73 Cman68, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  14. FJF

what do you do with the new coach when you are shopping for a new gm next year?

knee jerk reactions like you are advocating are what set franchises up for fail

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Someone needs to tell them.

Red Menace and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. EXPRESS2PENN

EXPRESS2PENN Member

Its sad when your already looking forward to offseason moves. Life a Jets fan.

17. Mainejet

If you don't like what I post (And it's obvious you don't. You have already attacked me on a personal level more than once) don't read it. When I quoted you, I attacked your post please grant me the same courtesy.......

It obviously bothers you that I am playing Monday morning QB with the team. My only response to that, is how is that any different than you? That's what all of us do on this site. You'd better get used to that idea. However, honestly the problems up until now with the Jets we have seen for a long time now. Everyone knew that changes were likely needed on a personnel level. After all, what has any even decent HC done in the past to motivate the team??? It's Head Coaching 101. It isn't rocket science.

Switching personnel in an attempt to motivate entire units is a time honored ploy within the ranks of coaches for ages now. That's what they do.

However, THIS HC either does not think of it or doesn't care?? I'll leave it up to you to decide which one it is. Either way, with how long he has decided to do nothing it leaves me thinking this guy truly is an incompetent dingbat. Like I said already, Todd Bowles is supposed to be a Parcells disciple. There's no way Parcells would ever sit around and not make any changes this far into a clearly horrible season. He would have done it by week 6 the latest.

This tells you that Todd Bowles never learned a thing by coaching under a great coach like Parcells. Firing him is the only way I see get this team straightened out. If he doesn't make changes.....scheme changes, players cut/traded/benched, fire a position coach or coordinator. go for it on 4th down more often........Then this season continues to go right the shit hole, and it will only get worse if Todd Bowles is retained...........

18. Mainejet

I understand your fear of knee jerk reactions. I have thought about that often also. In this case, however, there are no other alternatives. Change is absolutely necessary. Not only have players decided to take the year off but so has the product overall. The product is one thing that Woody absolutely cannot ignore. It's just not fun watching a game any more. The fans go into watching convinced the Jets will lose to the point where they have decided it isn't even worth going. Patsy fans damn near outnumbered Jets fans in their own stadium last Sunday. That is a death sentence for an owner. Putting a$$es in the seats is the only way the team remains profitable and can make the team better through time.

That's when any owner has to know that change is absolutely necessary. And who cares if Todd Bowles has drowned so quickly on the job? He was considered to a be a qualified candidate based on say so from past GM's. He got his chance and it's obvious he simply cannot handle it. He freezes up in the spotlight and becomes helpless. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance. He has gotten a very legitimate shot at making this team successful.

Every single HC job that a candidate gets is all about SINK or SWIM. The only support they get is from a GM that is willing to get the HC what he needs to be successful and the coaches/coordinators that he hires himself. That's the job from top to bottom. Todd Bowles has clearly failed and he's failed so badly that any concerns about knee jerk reactions are immaterial. The change trumps those concerns............

19. FJF

i get the argument for firing bowles, still not sure about it,doubt it happens but i get it. bad season, someone must be sacrificed. my concern was your suggestion that we might shop for a new gm a year after hiring a new head coach. it is that type of dysfunction that cripples franchises for years and years

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Jed York isn't our owner.

Red Menace likes this.