The True QB Battle: Geno Smith vs. Bryce Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 12, 2016.

1. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Exactly. I can't believe all the media hoopla about his FIRST good preseason performance. He's been terrible to below average otherwise. I think it's just a product of the Jets brass being so solid and non-controversial. The media is itching for the old circus days so this is a chance to stir the pot.

2. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Our D will carry us through the first half of the season. It won't be easy to put 20 up on us.

3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Genobots are like fucking cockroaches, you just can't kill them.

Jetsfansince95 and jetsons121 like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Prior to Geno's one single poor showing against Washington during a week two preseason game his last 6 games [5 regular season/1 preseason] consisted of

- 18/29 (62.0%), 254 passing yards, 1 TD/1 INT. QB Rating of 87.4 @ Minnesota.

- 16/28 (57.1%), 179 passing yards, 1 TD/0 INT's. QB Rating of 88.2 @ Tennessee.

- 17/27 (62.9%), 210 passing yards, 1 TD/1 INT. QB Rating of 83.9 vs. the Patriots.

- 20/25 (80%), 358 passing yards, 3 TD's/0 INT's. QB Rating of 158.3 @ Miami.

- 27/42 (64.2%), 265 passing yards, 2 TD's/1 INT'S. QB Rating of 87.9 @ Oakland.

- 8/14 (57.1%), 79 passing yards, 1 TD/0 INT's. QB Rating of 97.0 vs. the Jaguar.

Which means prior to his game against Washington, his previous 6 games Geno combined for...106/165 (64.2%), 1,345 passing yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's. Average QB Rating of 100.45 against the Vikings, Titans, Patriots, Dolphins, Raiders & Jaguars.

But yet these same Geno critics will not only ignore & forget (about the above) but also come out of the woodworks attacking Geno with steak knives & pitchforks behind an agenda after 1 single week two preseason game.

Sorry but QB competions while evaluating a quarterback doesn't quite 'work like that'.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Valid points, but at this stage of his development, Geno ought to be pushing Fitz, ought to be more poised and more of a leader. Instead, he seems to be wilting under the pressure. He was a black hole during the Washington game as far as energy and leadership go. Conversely look at what Petty was doing out there. Petty was firing his teammates up and talking with the receivers after plays. Did Geno do that?

I think it is also somewhat telling that in the pictures of Jets QBs that we've seen this TC, it's always Fitz, Petty and Hack together and Geno's nowhere to be seen in the shot. Why isn't he there with them? Now in fairness to Geno, it could be that the photographer doesn't like Geno and waits until Geno goes to the head or is speaking separately with Gailey, but it is puzzling. We also know that last season Geno didn't talk and joke around with his teammates. That is a concern as that comraderie can be important in leadership and developing chemistry.

LAJet, Freddy Mondo and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

geno is terrible and has no long term future... so why keep him?

petty might be the same or worsre, we need to find out.

likely both are gone before long.

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its fun to throw away all the bad games and only look at the good ones.

its also fun to let 1 great game(miami) inflate a small sample size (6 games)

including a preseason game is very silly.

HomeoftheJets, Cman68 and jetsons121 like this.
  8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Still just a meaningless preseason game but I like how Petty lead all NFL QBs in passing yardage this week by a considerable margin. (Incidentally, thanks to Petty, Robby Anderson also happened to lead all NFL receivers this week in receiving yardage by a substantial margin as well).

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The same calibre of guys bagging groceries come September are blocking for him now, and catching for him now as well.

But then, I agree that Jets fans must hold on to the double standard when it comes to QBs. Right?

Altoona likes this.
  10. Altoona

****n' A, Bubba! Damn right!!!

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't understand - you don't agree that QB is almost definitely the most difficult position to play in possibly all of pro sports? That it has one of the most brutal learning curves? That Bryce Petty was extremely raw coming out of college and definitely in need of time to learn the nuances of running a pro style offense?

I love my team. I will support whomever is wearing the green and white. But my gut (and history) tells me that Petty will have a tough learning curve which probably will include a lot of sacks and turnovers.

It's a lot of pressure for a raw young QB to have a starting role thrust upon them while in the middle of a playoff run in the biggest media market in the country.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

johnny likes this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Also, amongst all NFL QB's after two preseason games (combined) Bryce Petty ranks #3 in passing yards (335) behind only Dak Prescott (338) & Jimmy Garoppolo (349).

Outside of being 3rd in passing yards his overall efficiency as a QB has also been sound as well.

▪ 2nd in yards per attempt (8.4 ypa).
    ▪ 3rd in passing yards (335).
    ▪ 3rd in TD's thrown (2).
    ▪ 3rd in QB Rating (101.6).
    ▪ 7th in TD% (5.0%).
    ▪11th in completion percentage (57.5%).
    ▪ One of only 9 QB's without an INT.

I fully understand and comphrend that it's only been two preseason games but it's still nice to see one of our QB prospects in Petty making throws out there and competing. He's been one of the NFL's stand out player thus far throughout preseason regarding the quarterback position.

I'd even go as far as stating that I'd like to see Petty get an opportunity with the two's immediately after Fitzpatrick exits the game vs. the Giants.

Cman68 and Altoona like this.
  13. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Really? Stats in preseason? I'll bet he played more mins then Fitz and Geno combined.

14. Altoona

Kewl. I didn't consider combining the totals for the first two preseason games. Nice!

I'd even go a step further by stating I'd like to see Petty get an opportunity to play a series or two with the starters as well as the two's, particularly since the Giants game will be the absolute best remaining chance to evaluate him in this fashion as a viable candidate to assume the #2 QB position going into the regular season. Why not take the opportunity to at least briefly compare him even up with Fitz by having a look at how well he does benefiting from playing together with the identical personnel player packages on offense?

#594 Altoona, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with the first part of your post. I don't think that he will have all the sacks and turnovers that you do, however. Petty is smart. He's a hard worker. He may not be experienced in a pro-style offense, but he knows how to play QB. He knows the basics of the position. I think he is already ahead of Geno in knowing that sometimes you need to just throw the ball away and move on to the next play. I think he knows how to take what the D gives you, and doesn't try to make the big hero play always as Geno has a penchant for. He will get sacked some and throw some turnovers. All QBs do. I think a lot of how Petty plays depends on if Mac is able to fix the OL by the time Petty is ready to compete for the starting job. If the right side is still big question mark (if not a mess), then Petty or any QB will struggle and will take some sacks and probably make some bad decisions and throws.

It's definitely a lot of pressure for a raw young QB to have a starting role thrust upon them while in the midst of a playoff run in the biggest media market in the country. To that, I'd add and playing for one of the most impatient and critical fan bases in all of sports. I think that's why Mac and Bowles are trying to be so careful with both Petty and Hack and not rush them out there (throw them to the wolves the fanbase and the media). I don't think they'd be quite as careful if it was just from a pure football perspective, but putting a young QB on the field for the Jets is akin to feeding Christians to the lions in ancient Rome.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Right? Good thing Bowles pulled Geno and we were spared the embarrassment

17. zombo

zombo Member

Personally, I think Geno sucks. Also, in the NFL, if you lose your starting QB you're screwed anyway. Cut Geno unless there's an injury. Barring injury, go with Petty as the backup. Besides, when a QB is so poorly respected that a linebacker struggling to get a roster spot is willing to risk his career to punch him square in the face it speaks poorly for Geno IMO.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why does it seem like a lot of the guys who were perfectly fine with the QB situation before we re-signed Fitz are now terrified at the prospect of Petty being the backup?

#598 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

And the answer will be:
    "Because said QB showed no improvement over his tenure despite multiple opportunities." Next question.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

John Idzik chuckled when he read this.....