The good and the bad about Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RonPi, Aug 7, 2016.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

and can still throw the deep out

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You included the good and the bad but you forgot to include the ugly (his bloated contract).

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You mean the one that's over at the end of this year? The one that didn't hamper us from re-signing our best defensive player? The one that had no bearing whatsoever on us bringing in Matt Forte? Wait, you mean the contract that was irrelevant when we filled our hole at LT with Ryan Clady? That one?

TNJet, FlaJet and Ubiquitous like this.
  4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this post is supposed to show. Each year is different, the players and teams are different. Judge Fitz based on his play.

Fitz is a smart QB, he lacks certain physical gifts that guys like Hack and Geno have (ideal height, big arm) but what he lacks in that he makes up for with his brain. Very similar to Chad Pennington. He’s a smart QB, knows how to read a defense. He doesn’t just lock onto his number one read. Another thing I like about Fitz is that he’s more aggressive than Chad was. He’s not afraid to take shots down the field. He knows he has two receivers who are 6’5 and 6’3 respectively, he lets them play at that height. Sometimes this can get him into trouble as he doesn’t always make the best downfield decisions. But in the 2016 version of the NFL, you have to be able to take shots down the field. That’s the way the games played. Fitz is smart enough to understand that. He knows he can’t just dink and dunk all day on offense.

He’s a QB with below average physical tools, an above average understanding of the position he plays, and scramble ability. It makes for an average QB who you can win with as the Jets proved last year. Forget about not making the playoffs. 10 wins is still 10 wins. Most years that will get you in.

TNJet likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think of Fitz as being like Chad. Chad was more like a better version of Alex Smith (at least after he got hurt; before that he was awesome but that's neither here nor there). He'd complete a ton of short/intermediate throws, keep the turnovers down, and pretty much do everything perfectly except throw downfield. Fitz is more like a Rodgers/Favre style except with nowhere near the talent. Unlike Chad, he tries to make the aggressive throws, but unlike Rodgers/Favre it doesn't pay because like Chad he has a weak arm. Fitz would be better suited playing more like Chad; he did a good job of that last year except when we fell behind and he felt like he had to make big plays, which of course he couldn't do.

twown and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. gulbane

gulbane Member

I agree with this. I ain't thrilled with him nor Smith, but he's a solid, average, middle-of-the-road, journeyman QB. Better than what we have had....and with a good enough team around him, can be successful.

LIJetsFan, Footballgod214 and FlaJet like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'll translate the OP:
    Fitzpatrick is good. And that's not bad. Sometimes he is bad. That's not good. He will always be FITZMAGIC to me.

8. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Please tell me what Fitz has done to be called FITZMAGIC?

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The last person who asked that question woke up the next day with magical flaming anal warts. Good luck.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Won 5 straight must-win games last season.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Then absolutely shit the bed in the most important one......

James Hasty and matt robinson 17 like this.
  12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Every single one of the last 6 games was "most important one".

Look at it this way: if Fitz didn't win the first 5, you wouldn't be able to bitch about the 6th.

And you missed the point. The question was "what makes him special?" Answer is "winning 5 must-win games". Think any other QB on the roster could have done it?

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Just because the other guys suck, doesn't make him "Magic"

He does have a cool beard though!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well, he's educated himself to the point where he can speak and write in English. That's apparently a real difficult trick.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I get what you mean. I'm mainly talking about intelligence in the pocket and arm strength when comparing the two. Fitzpatrick definitely takes a lot more chances than guys like Chad and Alex Smith.

Fitz has to have a good team around him to be successful. Like you said, he's at his worst when he's playing from behind.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We have the ball and Fitzmagic throws a pick.

Like magic the other team now has the ball.

17. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Because his time with the Bills and that one contract he gave Fitzpatrick will not only define how successful he is with his current job, but it will define his career. This is probably the only thing he thinks about day in and day out.."How can I prove to the world that the contract we gave Fitzpatrick in 2011 wasn't a mistake...I know! I'll convince the Jets to sign him after he set the team record in touchdowns and had the best season in recent memory for a Jets QB. That will show 'em!"

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. :)

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, Chan is smart enough to know that doubling down on a mistake is a very bad thing to do, and a much worse mistake. The best thing to do when you find yourself in a hole of your own making is to stop digging.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people are trying to draw comparisons to the 2011 Bills. Take a look around...

Brandon Marshall
    Eric Decker
    Matt Forte

orrrrrrrrr....

Stevie Johnson
    David Nelson
    Fred Jackson