Lorenzo Mauldin and the 2016 Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ubiquitous, May 19, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

It's not a matter of cutting players slack, but rather of having realistic expectations. How many 3-4 OLBs over the last 10-20 years can you name who got 12 sacks their second season in the NFL?

3. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I do expect Mauldin to take some major steps in improvement, but honestly, I couldn't care less about sacks. I want constant pressure and knockdowns on the QB from him and the rest of the front seven. That'll get her gone.

Burnz likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like your analysis but the success of this defense will also be dependent on the success of the jets offense--if the jets offense moves the chains and keeps the defense off the field a decent amount of time, the D will be great. But if it is 3 and out constantly no NFL D can forever stop the opposition if the D is on the field most of the game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

But how many were playing along side Sheldon Richardson, Mohammad Wilkerson, and Leonard Williams each of which demands dbl teams?

A young stud pass rusher like Mauldin SHOULD register 12 sacks rushing along side those men while playing close to 500 passing downs. 12 sacks is a success rate of just 2.4% over an entire season.

12 sacks should be Mauldin's floor.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Fuck just 12 sacks--25 should be his floor.

Or SEEYA!

_

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

rohirrim665 likes this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He definitely needs to diversify his game. He uses the same dip and rip move virtually every play. It's a good move, but teams will catch on especially with an entire season of tape out there. Needs to add a spin move, bull rush or some other pass rush moves to keep tackles honest. He also isn't very fast or explosive so he'll probably always be more of a high effort player than he is a dominant one, we'll see if that's enough to get him in the 10-12 sack range consistently. Even though I think he's a solid player there's still a definite hole at speed rusher.

NCJetsfan, alleycat9 and Walt White like this.
  9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

IF Mauldin can be a 12+ sack guy this defense will be legendary

More than likely 8 with constant pressure and we would all be happy with that

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If he only has 8 sacks he's gone.

Especially if he only had 300 tackles.

Slacker.

_

King Koopa likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Sorry, there are NO "shoulds" in the NFL or life. You're talking about your own expectations and opinion, but not rational fact. Who says that Mauldin is a "young stud pass rusher"? He was a 3rd round pick for crying out loud. He's not that fast, doesn't have a plethora of moves, and isn't that explosive, so what exactly qualifies him as a "stud"?

I don't recall a single scout or media "expert" calling Mauldin a stud prior to the draft or at any point there after. If he is such a "stud" how come he didn't start from day one? Most "studs" do. I think you've drunk too much green Koolaid, and your expecations are totally unrealistic, but that's your right. I just hope that you aren't crushed if Mauldin doesn't reach your lofty expectations, and then don't want to hear you whine and bitch if Mac doesn't cut him for not getting the 12 sacks that you, and ONLY YOU expected.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Those players don't demand double teams in the passing game. If they did we could rush 5 everytime and have two free rushers on every down, creating the only defense ever to record a sack on 98% of pass plays...

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

MacCagnan needed the season to kick Pace to the curb, kick Coples to the curb, give Reilley a look, give Mauldin time to recover from his concussion, and get Sheldon on the field.

Mauldin needed a year to learn the speed of the NFL, learn some new moves, get through his first training camp, hit the rookie wall, all while playing sparingly (he STILL registered 4 sacks).

I know you are reluctant to label Mauldin a 'pass rusher', but that's exactly what MacCagnan drafted him to be. And not just any pass rusher, but our leading, dominant pass rusher that Bowles will coach and put in the best position to learn and dominate. Mauldin missed a few easy sacks last season due to his 'shot out of a cannon' approach. He will settle down this year and be more calculating. And with the experience he got last season, things Bowles tells him this season will make much more sense.

My expert prediction for Mauldin is 12-14 sacks with two multi sack games.

Book it!

14. NCJetsfan

You know no such thing! I think Mauldin is indeed our primary pass rusher from the OLB position, and think he can be a pretty good one. I'm just not buying into the nonsense that he is a "stud." He may prove to be one in time, but at this point, he is nowhere near that. For most of us, we'll be happy to see him prove to be a solid starter who can set the edge, stop the run and apply consistent pressure. Hopefully he can prove to be better than many of us think, but if he is just a solid starter who can provide 8-10 sacks a season that should be better than we've had at the position in a long time and good enough.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. DMaynard13

DMaynard13 New Member

I think Mauldin could be solid. I don't know about Pro Bowl. But talk about a guy who showed some gifts in limited playing time. I really like Marcus Williams. Watch this guy this year.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we have a great defensive line, but we dont really have great pass rush. i think that maters. we upgraded our speed at linebacker, but we also may start 2 rookies and a 2nd year guy and there are some ups and downs that come with that.

i think mauldin needs to become an elie pass rusher for us to have a top defense

17. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Maudlin is a six sack guy in 2016. 12 sacks for him isn't realistic expectation . The Jets don't have an elite pass rusher, and have to devise ways to get pressure on the Qb.

18. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

I live 30 minutes north of Louisville. I have been at many Cardinals games. I knew Bridgewater would be better than his 2nd round grade. I think Mauldin will be the real deal. He nweds time to develop to elite. But he has the potential. He can be a double digits sack guy but it might not happen this year. I see 8 sacks maybe more. But next year I think he could easily be 12, especially with our dline.

19. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

So your telling me you feel comfortable with Jenkins our 3rd round pick starting and playing full time at olb because that's how the depth chart is set right now. I do not and he needs to be eased into the lineup much like Mauldin was, and by throwing him in the fire without a veteran to teach him the position could hurt his development even more than him sitting and learning.

Also Freeney had 8 sacks in like 255 snaps last year. That is a huge boost to our defense. Mind you his contract demands maybe way out of our budget but either way a veteran OLB should be added.

Also, what makes you think we won't be going anywhere. Our defense alone should keep us in most games. We were one play away from making the playoffs last year.

#59 BleedGreen4ever, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  20. NCJetsfan

Yes, I do, at least comfortable enough not to bring anyone else in at this point. Jenkins played 3-4 OLB all 3 or 4 years (I forget how many years he stayed at GA) in college and the systems are very similar as is the terminology. I think he is more ready to play than Mauldin was. I understand your not being comfortable, but at some point the youngsters have to learn by playing. One of the reasons that so many fans keep piling too high expectations (imo) on the team and saying that it's a "win now" team is because of all the older vets that Mac has signed as FAs.

The reason I think we're not going anywhere is that our schedule is much tougher this year than last year. Even if Fitz is back at QB, there's little or no reason to believe that he's going to play as well he did last year against lesser Ds, much less better than last year. We're playing much tougher Ds this year. If Fitz isn't back and Geno is starting, expectations will be even less. There are still huge question marks on the OL (Can Clady stay healthy, and if so can he approach his old level of play? Can Giacomini hold up against tougher Ds? Will Qvale replace him? Will Winters still be at LG? If so, can he hold up against tougher Ds?) and there are a fair number of new faces that have to be worked into the lineup and rotation. Who will start at CB opposite Revis and how effective will he be? Was Revis decline in play due to the injury last season or will his play decline further this season? Will Amaro be able to contribute anything, and if not, will the Jets TE position be a black hole again? Our defense will keep us in most games, but if the offense can't sustain drives and put up points, then the D will tire and eventually give up big plays and points. We were one game away with a much weaker schedule against inferior Ds.