Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

Well next year we have a decent cap so it makes sense if they do a deal to have the biggest part of his guarantee hit then.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN Jun 3
    With all due respect to Mo Wilkerson... Sheldon Richardson is the Jets best defensive player

This is all you need to know about Littleface Mehta

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I actually agree with this and I think the Jets brass does as well.. I think if Sheldon didn't have his legal issues, Mo would have been gone a while ago.. Sheldon deff has the bigger upside.

TNJet likes this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I'll honorably disagree with you Jay

5. Jay Bizniss

I think they are both great players and we are very lucky to have the two of them... But you have to look at it in terms of the future.. We can't keep Richardson, Mo, and Williams for the next 7-8 years just ain't gonna happen.. Especially with all the money Revis is taking up.. So if you had to pick two out of those three, who would you choose?

For me its Sheldon and Williams... And trust me when I say I love Mo, we just don't have the money.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yes we do. we have plenty of cap space after this season. If we don't have the money for Mo, what makes you believe we have the money for Sheldon too?

I think Mo is the better all around player --- opens things up for Sheldon Richardson to make more plays.

7. Jay Bizniss

To eventually sign all three of these guys to long term deals, and still field a QB and WR's and the such needed to play on Sunday's?

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You never have plenty of cap space to tie up in one player unless he's the guy who makes you go.

The contract Mo is looking for is a 10%+ deal. He wants 10% of the Jets salary cap. There are 22 starters on an NFL team. There need to be competent backups behind many of them. There needs to be a good special teams unit.

Mo's not worth the 10%. He's just not that good a player. He doesn't make the Jets go. He's been with the team for 5 years now and the Jets have missed the playoffs every single season. That's not his fault but he's clearly not a transcendent player that changes the Jets from a middle of the road team into a contender.

He's a great guy off the field and in the locker room. He's never going to have the problems that Sheldon Richardson had. He's an excellent player on the field also. But he's not an irreplaceable piece of a playoff team, let alone a championship team.

Back to what I said at the start: you never have plenty of cap space to use irresponsibly on one or two players. Teams that make that kind of move have to get very lucky to see a return from it and most of them wind up sucking over time instead.

NotSatoshiNakamoto and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

It's not the defense's fault we haven't made the playoffs, 1 player can't get a team to the playoffs unless you are a top 5 QB. Even so, that's a stretch.

I do think he makes the Jets defense go because he's the guy taking on double teams and he's still winning match-ups and generating sacks. Remember we brought up Pro Football's AV stat? 4 out of the 5 seasons, Mo's approximate value has been 10 or higher, with him getting to 16 twice. He's been more productive then Dareus from the Bills and Fletcher Cox from the Eagles according to this statistic.

I find it insane, that we say this about our best defensive player, that he's not that good? Is it because he doesn't get 20 sacks? The guy again, had the most sacks for a 300 pound lineman since Warren Sapp. I would tie 10% to him because he makes those around him better. That is simply a skill-set not many players have. He will never get suspended, and he'll never get into trouble and he's productive. What else does Mo need to do to get the respect? The cap will increase and a lot of players will be off the books in the coming years. Mo, Sheldon, Pryor, Williams, Lee, Maudlin that is our talent for the future on the defense. You need players that can get the job done and do the dirty work.

Altoona, FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of whether Mo is good or not good. Mo is a great player, but the question for the Jets brass is how many good starting 3-4 DEs do you need? They had to move Sheldon to linebacker last year to get him on the field in certain situations. That just doesn't make sense. The simple fact of the matter is that with Sheldon and Leonard, they already have 2 very good starting 3-4 DEs and that's all you need. It's good to have depth, but no one wants to pay $16 million/year for a depth player.

I expect that the Jets have a trade worked out for Mo, but they can't do the trade until he signs the franchise tender and it may be a while before he does that. After July 15th, he can no longer re-negotiate his franchise tender, and he may sign just before that so he can re-negotiate his franchise tender with whoever acquires him from the Jets in a trade. It would not surprise me to find that the Jets had a trade worked out with someone before the draft, but that Mo couldn't reach a long-term deal with them, so he stopped the deal by refusing to sign the tender. If he expects to play this year, he'll eventually have to sign the franchise tender and once that happens the Jets will be able to trade him.

If he plays under his franchise tender and he has a career ending injury then he's done, so I would think he'd really want to do a long-term deal even if its not at top-dollar. Then again, he took that risk last year, but when he was carried off the field after he broke his leg in the last game last year, he must have become aware of what would have happened to him if it was a blown-out knee instead of a broken leg.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In many ways Mo deserves a long term deal with this team...if we were not so loaded on defense (prob overloaded vs offense) we could sign him long term

I think the argument to keep or trade the guy goes both ways and its a tough decision. Ive criticized Mac for not getting him signed but there is just not enough money

Its a costly franchise tag so I predict he gets traded and hopefully the Jets get some great compensation in the deal.

12. 101GangGreen101

Sheldon being moved to OLB is due to us not being able to find a OLB to set the edge in which we acquired Jordan Jenkins to do that specific duty. The problem here also is you are classifying these players as strictly 3-4 DEs when in reality they can play in any scheme. Sure we have a surplus, but not many DEs can get you 10 sacks AND stop the run while opening up chances for others. That in itself is an elite skill-set. You need to look past the position, and look at their contributions on the field. Mo should be kept again because he opens up opportunities for others. No one else on the Jets roster does this at this specific time. Of course no one wants to pay someone 16M a year, that goes for any position but that is the way it is. The cap increases and you will eventually need to pay someone 16M, so you make your choice. This argument is simply delaying the inevitable.

If he gets injured again that's a discussion that is separate from this one.

FJF likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Mo would've been traded already if this were the case. The trade market is as dry as Hilary Clinton's vag.

TNJet likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Sheldon had better character we should trade Mo and lock up Sheldon now. We could get him for less money in exchange for giving him immediate dollars and security. As it stands, Sheldon is a risk and idk how much the Jets trust him. Regardless we need to extend or trade Mo, having him play on the tag and then bolt is unacceptable.

15. 101GangGreen101

I can almost promise you there will be 0 chance Sheldon takes a home-town discount. If Sheldon had better character, the entire landscape of the defense would've probably been different. Mo maybe traded earlier, Leonard may not get drafted. Snacks may still be here [ok I doubt that one].

I think there's a way we keep them all if we play our cards right, never say never. Leonard Williams shouldn't matter at this time as that deal is 4 or 5 years down the line. Could find a way to extend Mo 4 or 5 seasons until Leonard's contract is up. Always find a way to keep your BEST players.

GreenGreek likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

LOL since when? Having a higher POSSIBLE ceiling does not make you a better player than another.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I didn't say Sheldon would take a hometown discount. I said he might take a discount in exchange for the security of guaranteed money now.

18. edray10

He can't be traded until he signs his franchise tender and he hasn't yet done so.

19. 101GangGreen101

See now something doesn't add up because if he wanted to see what other teams could offer him, it would be as simple as signing the tender. I was under the impression, he was able to see what other teams could offer him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...xclusive-franchise-tag-on-muhammad-wilkerson/

20. edray10

He's a non-exclusive franchise tag. So other teams could make offers to him, they'd just have to give the jets 2 first round draft picks. Nevertheless, my understanding is that they can't trade him until he signs the franchise tender, so by not signing the franchise tender he can delay the process (and maybe increase his leverage in deciding where he wants to go).