Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

Indy paid freeny almost 30 million one year to free cap space for the future, Denver gave DTS 15 mill+ past 2 years to free space for next 2 years. Will also front load Von Miller this year I bet to free space at tail end.. moving money around is how gms manage on the best teams. Gronk made 15 million last year and not even breaking 10 this year. Money management.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don't think that question even applies because every situation is different and the league dynamics change over time.....I just personally think that paying Wilk and keeping our dominant defense in tact with no expensive QB in sight is a fine use of resources

You can't say oh we paid a lot for a DE now we'll never be successful....the Broncos just last season won the superbowl with a pass rush

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

I will agree with both of you... Jets will try to keep 2 of the 3 defensive ends... they will let mo play this year, use 5th year on Sheldon and let their on and off field actions decide who to sign.. then next year franchise mo and trade whichever they don't want. Simple as that.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mo is a great talent and IMO the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league next to JJ.

The issue is we can't pay him that money. It will cause a ripple effect with Sheldon and Big Cat.

If I was Mac I'd take a 2nd + 2nd next year and run.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't understand the argument that paying Mo will drive other players' contract demands up. If I'm Sheldon for instance, I want as much money as I can get regardless of whether Mo gets paid or not.

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If trading him is the only option then a second this year and a conditional second next year that could be a 1st depending on performance would do it.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't help in negotiations.. Especially if a FO has already ponied up for a DL before.

8. HomeoftheJets

I agree it doesn't help, but I'm not sure how much it really hurts.

9. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

The best news of the night might have been that MO was not traded and is likely staying in the green and white for the long haul!!!!!!! :)

Mo Wilkerson
    Sheldon Richardson
    Leonard Williams
    Steve McClendon

Darron Lee
    Lorenzo Mauldin
    David Harris

Darrelle Revis
    Marcus Williams
    Calvin Pryor

This D is STACKED!!! :)

10. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Source? Did God whisper into your ear?

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How much do you think that the Jets demonstrated willingness to pony up astronomical salaries for Darrelle Revis has effected Mo's bargaining position?

Do you think he's thought at any point that if the Jets were willing to do that to retain Revis they should be willing to do it to retain him?

He's shared a locker room with Revis for 3 of his 5 years in the NFL and the Jets just brought Revis back at top dollar.

Now extend the line of thought to the talented players who are looking up at both Revis and Mo right now. The Jets need to get control of this or they are going to be losing talented players left and right and overpaying for the ones they retain.

12. HomeoftheJets

If I'm Mo, I want to get paid period. Say the Jets didn't sign Revis. I would still make the exact same demands I'm making now because the overall market for free agent DEs is higher than what the Jets are offering me.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. Truth4U2

Well, if he wasn't traded for a 1st round pick, what are we gonna do, give him away for a 2nd rounder???

Sure, he could conceivably still be traded, but it's much less likely now.....really I think Mac was rolling his eyes at all of these stupid media reports that Mo was on the trade block, he's way too smart for something like that....you don't trade your best player in his prime, you get him locked up long-term if you're a competent GM.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It's ok that we keep Mo, at least for one more year. Sheldon could still be suspended again, and that's a lot of depth on DL keeping him.

15. Truth4U2

"4. Big Mo is staying home ... probably: Muhammad Wilkerson wasn't moved during the first day of the draft, and he's unlikely to be traded any time soon. "I don't envision that happening," general manager Mike Maccagnan said after theJets' first selection on Thursday night. ESPN.com reported that the Jets fielded calls in the week leading up to the draft, but no serious suitors emerged. Any team would love to have Wilkerson on its defensive line, but his uncertain contract situation makes him a tough sell in a mega-deal. We'll find out just how peeved Wilkerson is when mandatory workouts begin. Don't expect to see him in Florham Park before that."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eaways-on-jets-following-first-night-of-draft

16. HomeoftheJets

I'd love to lock up Mo long term but not for the money he wants. Maybe Mo's just playing hardball in the hopes that he gets traded and he'll cave before the season starts. That's a best case scenario for us.

17. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Macc said in his press conference last night that he couldn't trade Mo during the draft because he hasn't signed his tender. It doesn't sound like Mo is going anywhere this year.

18. Truth4U2

Agreed, I don't want them to wreck the cap for him either. But the point I'm trying to make is that I think it's Mac's job, as GM, to negotiate a contract that will be acceptable for both parties...

19. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

Best way to do that is to spend big on him the first year... say next year. Then the last 3+ years will be cheaper... say the deal is 16 million a year... send 25 his way next year. Then it's 13 million a year the last 3 (these are not exact numbers just and example)... as long as you draft right and get good value fa it could work. But we also have to look at signing Pryor, Williams, and Mauldin... maybe Amaro and smith if they ever show anything. So have to remember the future and not hinder it.

20. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

They can get creative with how they structure it. Suh got a $19M signing bonus, but his cap hit for year one was the league min.

The should give him a big bonus and have a low number for next two years. After that Revis will be off the books, so it wont be a big deal. They dont have a QB that will command $20M, so until then they can sign defensive players to big deals.