Jets interested in Josh Norman?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Apr 21, 2016.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Possible. Also possible after internal discussions they came to the conclusion that their zone system was as much a factor in his breakout year as his talent.

Maybe they just decided that money would be better spent extending the players they know they want to keep around for awhile.

I get the feeling either he is going to regret not signing his tender, or some dumb team is going to regret investing years and a large salary on this guy.

Br4d and Ben Had like this.
  2. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

This makes my nipples hard

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

We couldn't afford and seemingly didn't need Olivier Vernon either yet we were supposedly top three in offers.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Schefter's dog due

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I saw that the Jets are interested, but I don't see why. Sure, they could always rescind the franchise tag on Mo Wilks to get the money, but we already have an elite corner, so having 2 elite corners at the expense of a pro bowl DE hurts the team more than it helps, plus you are still stuck with a question mark at QB. Great corners are pointless if the front line can't get pressure. Great WRs will always get open given enough time.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Jets need to get interested in getting a quarterback.

slimjasi, Ben Had and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I think both are very likely to happen. Unless Norman signs with a team that can use him like he was used in Carolina , chances are his production will drop a little.

And now the Panthers have to look to the draft for a replacement. And those are big shoes to fill for a team that has high expectations.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hahaha seriously.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You haven't heard? They're one if seventy hundred teams interested in Brian Hoyer.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

WTF? LOL TMI

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Only possible way is we have a Mo trade on the table and will pull the trigger when/if we sign Norman to clear up space

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

suppose that is possible, but i'd much rather have Mo than Norman.

I'd also rather have Revis than Norman, and we already have him too.

this is just due diligence.

13. King Koopa

Me too but Norman will get much less than Mo and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to backload Norman since we will have space in the future, then we could still prob pick up Fitz....Trade Mo for a high pick and acquiring Norman and Fitz wouldn't be bad at all

I'd still rather have Mo but I could see it

5% chance I give it :D

14. BacktoQueens

why would Norman get much less than Mo?
    i believe he's holding out for a similar payday.

personally, i don't feel he has enough of a track record at his age to warrant the massive pay day he's seeking.. he is a quality player though at a position of impact, so someone will pay him.

15. King Koopa

Mo will get more as a younger and dominant D-lineman....If Norman ends up getting similar money it will be because a team overpaid him, which is possible

I guess what I meant to say is Mo should get much more....If both were free agents on the open market with teams bidding who do you think would receive a bigger payday?

16. BacktoQueens

the market for versatile interior DLs of Mo's caliber is around 14M.
    the premier CB market is the same, if a team believes Norman falls into that premier category.

2 years of age separate them (26 and 28), which isn't too much.
    Wilk also comes across as more reliable and stable, which is a bigger factor than age imo.
    I'd guess Mo would (or at least should) get more, but nothing drastic.
    both will be expensive..

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

They also really hurt his ability to get top dollar in FA.... Both player and team lose in this scenario.

I like it though. It keeps the players salary in check. Could you imagine if there was no salary cap similar to baseball... I for one would love to see the true free market in football

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Mo cannot be traded until he signs the 1 year tender which he has not done and is unlikely to do. A team would have to have a long term deal signed or at least agreed to with him before he gets traded by jets...every day closer to the draft that seems more unlikely.

19. irishwhip03

Well no team is going to trade for him without that deal already in place. So techinically you're right but if a trade goes down and a team is ready to hand Mo 80-100 mil , I dont think he's going to not sign the 1 year tender here to hold that trade up.

He's already came out publicly and said he would love to play for the Niners so obviously not being here is on his mind.

At this point it makes no sense to hold onto him. Coming off an injury , guaranteed to be a hold out , team doesnt want him longterm and after this whole process it wouldn't be shocking if he wants out right now too.

IMO these next days leading up to the draft and the 3 days of the draft are going to tell us what kinda GM MacCagnan is.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. irishwhip03

The timing is bad for both parties involved. But Norman will still get a very good deal from someone. Panthers on the other hand will IMO struggle to replace him.

Why people are all of the sudden downgrading Norman is beyond me. This kid is coming off a great season. Yeah maybe the defense around him helps out , but that same thing could be said about Richard Sherman.

Not every CB can be Revis from 09-10.