Ronnie Stanley's stock falling

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And if nobody else wants him above us we should want him why? Quick, think Gholston.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gholston was taken on the 6. So what you are really saying is that taking Leonard Williams last year when he fell to the 6 was a mistake because nobody above us wanted him?

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don't try to apply logic to Don's posts

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Using the 20th pick in the draft the rule to follow , imo, is to take the best available player that has no issues mental or physical and can
    be a starter at the whistle. When you here things about 'work ethics', body strength, weight issues, health, etc etc., stay clear.

That being said, I'm not a big proponent for reaching on an OT that late in the draft - too much of a reach for that position that may fall into the 2nd round. Bill Parcells never, never was a person to to be in favor of taking an OL in the first round. Go for the skilled positions, of take a DL if the need is there.

6. Rockinz

Quick think Randy Moss...

I'm not saying we should do it either all I'm saying is that he could be the surprise guy who falls.

7. Rockinz

I 100% agree with that draft strategy. LT is really the only exception to the rule but gems can be found in later rounds

8. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The scout in this piece sounds like a total mongoloid. My guess is this is someone trying to drop his stock for their own purposes.

Stanley is a really athletic kid who can play left tackle and has upper echelon feet and technique. He's very athletic in space too. None of that indicates the alleged laziness in this piece.

The negatives are real. He's not powerful at all. He's an awkward run blocker. Still, those things are a lot more coachable than the things he already does have. It seems like his stock is pretty well placed, all things considered.

legler82 likes this.
  9. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Jmo no way Ronnie Stanley is making it to twenty. I say he doesn't get past the Raiders at 14. ( probably goes earlier than that) They don't need him as there offense line set, but they need someone to eventually replace Donald Penn.( Stanley's needs a year in the Weight room).

10. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Would be all over him at 20, in no way did I ever hear or see work ethic be a concern of his when he was with the Irish.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Would gladly take him at 20.

legler82 and TNJet like this.
  12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers fell too

13. Rockinz

That still haunts San Fran...

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Draft advice brought to you by the guy that passed on Peyton Manning in order to use the 1 overall to trade down twice. Two HOF's were selected in that draft, both OT's, at the two spots we traded out of.

Btw, our first rounder was Farrior who had his breakout season his last year with us and then went on to have a great ten year career with the steelers.

#14 74, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

think i'd prefer Conklin to Stanley..

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Conklin's stock to me is hot one week and cold the next. I want to say he's a poor man's Joe Thomas [arm length, size, and great technique], but for some reason I keep thinking Conklin won't be a LT at the next level or at least a great one because he doesn't have GREAT athleticism. Thomas was a track and field star.

I know for sure Decker will be a RT at the next level because Decker's strength is his best asset and will help pave the way for the run game. I wonder if Conklin will suffer the same fate at the next level.

Drafting a tackle in the first round nowadays is hella scary. So many busts at the top this past decade or so.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i like the size, strength and toughness of Conklin.
    He reminds me a little of Flowers as a prospect, in the sense I'm very confident with him at RT, with potential to play LT.
    for that reason, i think his floor is high, and would be great value at 20 (or even higher)..
    we could also really use a guy like that for the line.

Stanley has great potential at LT, but he's definitely got some bust factor too which makes me a little uncomfortable.
    I'm a little lukewarm with Decker too, but i need to research him more. I'd prefer Ifedi or Spriggs at the moment.

18. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Conklin reminds me of Andrew Whitworth. Neither player is a great athlete, but they are able to win with technique and strength. Conklin should be able to be an immediate starter at RT and might be able to transition to LT. My biggest concern with him moving to LT is that he seems to struggle with speed rushers since he has average foot speed.

19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Passed on Peyton Manning? That was the year Peyton was contemplating leaving college early but for family reasons, as I recall, decided to finish and graduate. Not sure if Bill made an attempt to sway Manning, but it's all history from that point. Jets never had any remote chance in getting him.

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Jets had a very real chance to get him. Peyton already had his degree at that point and had been planning on declaring. The Mannings love Parcells, they wanted assurance that Peyton would be picked. Through phone conversations with Archie, Parcells would not commit the pick to Peyton. Shortly after Peyton announced he was staying in college another year.