Jets trade for Ryan Clady

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The other thing to look at is where the two injuries happened. One was a total freak accident in his foot and the other was A freak accident that happened with no contact that even the healthiest of players have suffered from.

The number of missed games is jarring, but you have to dig a little bit deeper.

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I don't see those threads unless they're the last thread commented on then I see them on the home page, but once I click into the forum I don't see them. I can only get into those threads by clicking on the thread when it's linked as the last thread posted in from the home page.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Pretty much, people are way overstating the risk. This is basically another Brandon Marshall type trade, high reward and low risk. Getting Clady doesn't preclude them from doing something else to fortify the line.

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

That is if Brick would've been cut if he was on the team he would count at a 14 mil $ hit right ? so in that aspect we cut the cap hit down by 8 mil

5. Jetsfansince95

1st OL 2nd OLB 3rd OL 4th CB/KR or WR/KR 7th P and K or take a flyer on a RB

6. Jetsfansince95

Next year we should focus on ILB ... WR and CB as of our QB situation that could derail this whole plan depending on who falls to us, or who we acquire via trade

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

What's with these self-serving assumptions?

a. Geno sucked in the Pinstripe Bowl and was outplayed by Ryan Nassib, a game I saw first hand - never wanted him.

b. No one including you knows exactly what went down with Mac-Brick. Whatever, there's suddenly a gaping hole at LT with no guarantee of one at #20 let alone a guaranteed "Mo in exchange for a high enough 1st round" trade to secure a blue chip LT esp. with the Jets not dealing from a position of strength.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We know that Macc is going to take the best player available. I find it hard to believe that the best player available at 20 is going to be a lineman. We need depth but we also can't reach for it.

FJF likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not singling you out, but i hate these type of posts. in a vacuum,yes this is what we probably should do. in real life, the draft board likely won't fall like this.

10. Jetsfansince95

FLA 100 % but its fun to do anyway :)

11. Jetsfansince95

I won't cry if we go OLB OL OL

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  12. Jetsfansince95

If we decide to go QB in the first it changes the whole complexion and I'm fine with whatever MM decides to do ...

13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Very true. But then say that to everyone who says that money wasnt the main motive for Brick's retirement.

To me , when a player retires in April , after free agency , after the team consults him about a pay cut , its more than 50 percent money related.

And these "self-serving" assumptions are directed at posters that love to live in the moment..every move we make is great when it happens , til it isnt , THEN they bitch.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer..when the team makes a move I like I'll be the first one to comment positive on that (like I've done a million times before) but IMO Mac screwed up this negotiation with Brick and this is way more of a negative than anything positive he did last offseason when he just blindly spent $$.

Its such a Jets fan thing to praise the day Brick retired (ignoring the LT downgrade) and love a Clady trade because he was very good the last time he played in the league.

I hope it works out , but Im not counting on it. Crazy to me how some fans are. Or maybe being good enough , is good enough for them.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who are you presuming will play QB?

legler82 likes this.
  15. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

GREAT MOVE by MAC!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

We gave up virtually nothing, a 5th round flyer for an All-Pro LT when healthy, and we even get a 7th rounder thrown in as well!
    This was an absolute steal!!! (and I assume Mac did his HW on his health before making the move, but even if he didn't, it's still worth taking a flyer on Clady's upside, especially considering we only had to give up a 5th round pick.....anytime you can trade a draft pick for a proven player still in his prime it's a good move imo... I think fans get too crazy for draft picks leading up to a draft (I used to do that myself), not realizing that even 1st round picks are not sure things.

16. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

This is a good move any way you slice it. Briefly:

The Jets had to move quickly to get someone comparable to D'Brickashaw Ferguson. There was no one of that caliber left on the free agent market, so they got a former all-pro for a pittance. If he plays up to that level, you have an option to re-sign him at a fairly low price. If he stinks, you move on quickly. Whether it will work out or not is not really relevant. We can say that among their limited options, this was the best one.

I'm not sure what the alternative move was here. Start a rookie and watch Cimini, Mehta, and the rest of the vultures rip him apart week by week if he's not a star right away? Give up more for a player of similar quality? Wait for a cut? Seriously, if anyone can give me a better answer, I'm happy to hear it.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

We don't really need what clsdy can give us. We need youth a
    Does it matter where the injuries happened? the fact of the matter is that he will still be a 30 year old playing on a recently repaired ACL, who has had foot surgery to boot. those things are certainly risks when it comes to durability, not to mention his approach to the game... speaking as somone who has torn both ACL's, there is a mental recovery process as much as a physical.

now, he can be fine, and return to being an all pro type player, but the risk is there....

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we dont need depth, we need long term answers. too much focus on this seasons. 4/5 of our offensive line positions need long term solutions

for the relative cost, clady is a good short term solution for brick, but he is a 30 year old coming off a major injury. he isnt a long term solution in all likelyhood, at least not at left tackle

mangold is 32, and has missed time/played through injury the last couple seasons.

Giacomini turns 31 when the season starts, and arguably isnt a starting level player right now, let alone in a few years.

Winters is young, but is the weakest link on the line and is more suited as depth then a long term starter.

We need to target spots in the draft where a lineman WOULD be the BPA and get to those spots. whether that moving up or down and regardless of round.

our first pick has to be a lineman, qb, or edge rusher. if 20 doesnt have BPA at that spot, then you move off 20 in my opinion whether its up or down

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mac sticking to his guns and filling key positions with vets so he can draft the BPA!

Clady when healthy is an excellent LT.

20. Jetsfansince95

If you noticed in my other posts I mentioned a QB who falls to us changes the whole complexion of this plan.

That said I still think Fitz will be the starter or we most likely make a trade for a vet stop gap. I mean even if we go QB in round one is he really gonna start for us this season .... I doubt it ...