Drafting a Punter?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 9, 2016.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How does everyone feel about drafting a punter in the later rounds 5-7 if ones there?Who's the last punter or fg kicker we have drafted?We need a serious infusion of talent when it comes to punter/kicker.Who knows if Folk is gonna be the same after this injury .....Who's out there worth a possible late round pick?

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Go for it if there's a good one. Take a kicker too.

Sent from my DX758 Pro using Tapatalk

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Negative. We have 6 picks. Keep filling out the roster. Bring back Folk. Eject Quigely and bring in a couple of veterans to compete.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

We drafted a kicker in the second round ha typical Jets... that said draft Tom Hackett for the love of God !!

irishwhip03 and Freddy Mondo like this.
  5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

We always talk about this on tgg every off season and it never happens.

I would be more than willing to spend as high as a 5th though on a punter.

6. PapaBurr

PapaBurr Member

Shiiit i would trade a 4th for that kid King out in oakland.

TNJet likes this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

Me to,Wheres the next Sebastian Janokowski or Adam Vinatari.Id love for the Jets to find a guy like that.A good punter can change the complexion of a game.Quigley rarely pins the other team deep

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. LongIslandBlitz

Hes a free agent this year no?Last I checked he was unless he was resigned

9. LongIslandBlitz

The Raiders drafted a kicker in round 1 17th overall in 2002 i think it was.Sebastian Janokowski thats a gutsy move ,I doubt you will ever see a kicker go in round 1 again

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

No. No Hackett on this team.

12. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I remember him punting in a preseason against us a few years back and he was absolutely booming the ball. I turned to who I was watching the game with and said that we have got to try and get this guy if he's cut.

Damn Raiders stashed him on IR for the year with some bullshit injury.

almbleamal likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

This coaching staff downplays field position, terrible punter, bad coverage, terrible return men, that has to change

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

great clip..

very interesting prospect. i love the spin Aussies put on the ball.
    i can't recall a rugby style Punter in the NFL though (could be wrong on that).

wonder if he will work out punting more traditionally, in addition to rugby style.
    personally, i love coaches who are willing to innovate or think outside the box.
    Hackett's worth a look imo..

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Dustin Colquitt of the Chiefs is a rugby style punter. I am sure there are a few others but unless someone told me they were I probably could not tell just by watching them.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've never understood the rabid objections of some posters to using a 6th or 7th round pick on a topflight punter or kicker. Can you get them as UDFAs and/or FAs? Undoubtedly, but there's a reason they weren't drafted or are FAs. Often it's because they aren't that good or that reliable. Over the last several years quite a few teams have used lower round picks to get the punter or kicker they want. Especially since the Jets don't have a franchise QB, dominant OL, stud pass rusher, or much depth, field position is very important. With extra points moved back, how many were missed this year, I think quite a few were, and I believe some teams lost games due to that. STs are 1/3 of the game. If you have a FG kicker who's accurate from over 50 yards and in and who can always put the KO in the end zone, you have an edge over teams that don't. If you have a consistent punter that can put the opposing team in poor field position, you have an edge.

If there's a punter that the Jets think is head and shoulders above the rest this year, I would definitely like to see the Jets grab him in the 7th round or even the 6th if they think it necessary. He will have a bigger impact on the field than a STs blocker or gunner or 3rd string OL.

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree, Walt. A back of the roster, borderline backup or STs player is not going to have nearly the impact on the game that a great punter (or lousy punter for that matter) will. The Jets don't have a great OL and a franchise QB where it doesn't matter where they get the ball or a D that can always get off the field on 3rd down. They need a punter that can pin the other team deep when the Jets offense fails to move the ball.

joe likes this.
  18. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I was completely young back then, but remind me why the **** the Raiders took a kicker in the 1st round? Like WTF? Lol..

19. NCJetsfan

Three words explain it...Al...Davis...senility

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

We have six picks, 1-6 rds. I believe. Quigely keeps making the team on his leg in practice. Three years now. He can boom it. Then the games come and he can't get it done. He's a good guy too. Enough already waiting for this guy to develop.

They have to fix the ST's, it's paramount. But they need to fill out the back end of the roster also. I'd prefer a veteran this year coming, and to cut bait with Quigster as we did with April.

Watching a rookie 'developing' Punter undermine the team yet another season in a row might cost my TV. I don't trust myself. I might throw a mug into my TV if I see see a shank like that again while some rookie develops :mad:

The future is now!

:D