Long Term Ramifications of This Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Few things:

1- Fitz could possibly play at a good level for another 5 yrs and still be younger than Brady/Manning/Rogers. If our O-Line can continue to keep him healthy and on his feet, that is. Macc will not be in full panic mode to draft/sign franchise QB who can come in and dominate from game 1. Fitz has bought Macc a few years, even if he's not Cam Newton back there.

2- If Gailey does retire, I would like to give Chip Kelly a look (Not GM or even HC mind you, just OC). Love his up-tempo style. His teams are fun to watch (at least when their winning). I don't want some 30 yr old college guy determined to make his mark and re-invent the NFL in ways only he can. If you want an OC like that, than at least get one like Kelly with a few years experience.

3- Petty would benefit by sitting at least another season. Don't know if he will, but if he did he'd be better off for it long term. He needs to spend a season as BU taking a few 1st team reps in practice and training camp and he needs to sit in on the game planning meetings with Fitz. He needs to be on the roster and dressed, holding the clip board paying attention for a season before making the jump.

4- Truth is both Petty AND Fitz will both struggle to beat Geno in camp. Fitz has the whole 'last season' thing going for him, but Geno will have no problem out playing him in camp, just like last camp and especially with Devin Smith and Amaro back in the mix. It's for this reason Bowles may state early on there will be no competition for starting QB. Fitz is it and that's that.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't want the Jets coaching staff to impede the young qb's progression by putting him out there too early, but if he's ready he should compete for the starting job. I think at this juncture, they owe it to Fitzpatrick to see him go through some struggles before they make the switch.

Imagine getting this level of Fitzpatrick for 2 more years? I know that in itself is unrealistic, but that would mean we are still winning and Petty gets enough time to develop. The key is Gailey.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't want the Jets to impede Petty's progression, either, and I don't think they will do anything that would put too much pressure on him or put him out there before he's ready.

While I like Fitz, and agree he deserves the benefit of the doubt, even if Fitz can keep playing at his current level for 2 more years, I'm not sure that's in the Jets' best interest. Even as well as he has played, he has started slowly in a number of games and his limitations could have the Jets just good enough to compete for the playoffs the next few seasons, but not good enough to be serious contenders for the Lombardi Trophy. In addition, isn't it possible that his weaker arm could keep D. Smith or Thompkins from developing or the offense from reaching its full potential? IMO that's something to consider.

Of course, if Petty isn't ready, or unless the Jets draft another QB this year or a miracle happens and Geno suddenly stops making the stupid decisions, then the point is moot, and Fitz should definitely start. Again, I'm just assuming that Mac and Bowles will be true to their promise of competition for every position. I don't think that Petty has to compete against another "young" QB. Age should be irrelevant imo.

IMO if Petty takes 3 years to develop, then he's not the answer at QB, and the Jets need to start looking elsewhere.

4. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Good post except for your Chip Kelly thing but since Gailey will be back next year, Kelly is moot.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The other thing that has to be taken into account is that Petty will probably be a free agent in 3 more years. If you start Fritz next year then you pretty much only have just one more year to decide if Petty is your guy going forward. That's not much time to evaluate a QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Chip Kelly is WAY too much of an ego maniac to "just be" a team's offensive coordinator. He's either going to get another head coaching chance in the NFL (Tennessee) or he'll go back to college to be a head coach. It's going to be hard enough for him knowing that he's going to have to work WITH a general manager as a head coach in this league, let alone work FOR a head coach as an offensive coordinator. Sorry, I just don't see it ever happening.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

My point was Fitz has clearly earned a new contract and I expect him to be back net year as the starter...which means there's no direct competition...he's going to get starter money and he'll be THE MAN next year and he may get another year after that. Petty will be the backup next year I'd assume just because he's another year in the system...but you can't pay Fitz money and not expect him to start...he's going to get 3 years I'd assume with a likely way to get out after the 2nd year or something to that effect. The hopes is that Petty will surely be ready by at least year two of the contract for Fitz and definitely by year 3 of it.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You're probably right. If Josh McDaniels gets a HC offer, I could see Chip going to NE to work under Belicheck for 2 yrs, but that's probably it. I always liked his up-tempo offenses he ran in Philly, especially 2013/14. He had Nick Foles looking like Joe Montana and his offense was hard for ANY defense to keep up with.

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

A QB's leap from college to pro is probably the hardest thing there is to do for an NFL player.

In response to others, Petty is being evaluated by the FO and CS every day - He is not being held in some kind of QB limbo. If Geno gets cut loose this offseason, that will be a strong indicator that Petty is making progress. If Geno sticks around or we sign a veteran backup, that means that the FO and CS still view Petty as a developmental player who isn't ready to see the field.

Assuming Fitz gets his contract, there is a good chance that he will get injured - just look at the way he plays and his history. THAT would be the point where we see who else has the potential to lead this team on the field. Until then, it's obviously Fitz's job.

James Hasty, cval and Walt White like this.
  10. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

The biggest ramification this team had occurred on the bus ride to the airport after the Houston loss. Something happened with Coples and they cut his ass. Since then this team has been firing on all cylinders.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

D-coordinators already figured out Chip's offense he needs to go back to college his is (was) a horrible NFL coach.

12. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Ramifications....we don't need no stinking ramifications :)

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Ramifications!?....You can't handle the Ramifications!!

westiedog1 and LIJetsFan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

First you contradict yourself by saying you wouldn't want an OC who will seek to reinvent things, then you say you would like Chip Kelly after he failed so miserably in Philly, and who tried to reinvent the wheel there? Then you make such a ridiculous, totally absurd comment that Geno will have no problem out playing Fitz in TC, and you call me an idiot? ROFLMFAO!!! They ought to have your picture in the dictionary under the definition for "totally clueless."

James Hasty and Jets69 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

You have a point, but so often what makes the transition so difficult is that in addition to adjusting to the speed of the game in the NFL and reading more complex NFL Ds, the QB has basic fundamental issues he has to work on. Petty has no basic fundamental issues. He has had a year to adjust to the speed of NFL Ds, and film study/work on reading NFL Ds. He may need more time to develop, but with his track record of playing at a high level and football IQ, he has a chance to push for the starting job next year. I expect him at the very least to be the backup when TC breaks. Fitz probably beats him out due to his experience, good play, and chemistry with the offense, but if Fitz gets injured during the season, I would have no qualms with Petty coming in and playing. He probably would have some struggles/difficulties, but I think he would be able to come in and play at pretty decent level, and certainly wouldn't make the bonehead plays that Geno does.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

when cro was out, williams took over in his place and skrine stayed in the nickel. he's also had skrine cover specific guys including on the outside. Skrine or williams would start. either way those would be our top 3. then we also have walls and mcdougle. thats 5 CBs already plus milliner if he can stay healthy. 6 CBs is enough

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

geno wont beat anyone in camp because he will be working at burger king

James Hasty likes this.
  18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

when your team is full of 30+ year old guys and pending holdouts/free agents, thats not the time to see if a 4th round player who is a super raw and unpolished is nfl ready or not.

i think year 3 is when you evaluate petty more, and decide if he is worth signing to come back after that.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Fine, but not easy to do. Remember after three years of Sanchez, they wanted to bring Peyton here. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. When he wouldn't come, they reluctantly gave Sanchez a new contract after an 8-8 season. Then in a losing season we started to hear the rumblings about how stupid the Jets were to give him a new contract. Sanchez, a 1st round draft pick with 3 years experience and the jury was still out. Petty, 4th round pick with no experience and you want know if he's worth a new contract after playing one year. Good luck!

James Hasty likes this.
  20. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Geno just makes way too many mental mistakes. It shouldn't be hard to find a decent backup QB in free agency.